• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Oldies K-Surf Debuts on KKGO-FM 105.1 HD2

http://www.allaccess.com/net-news/a...ies-k-surf-to-debut-on-105-1-hd-2-los-angeles

This '50s/'60s oldies format launched yesterday (March 11) on KKGO-FM HD2. For those of us who don't have HD Radios (myself included), this is simulcast on KBOQ-AM 1260 on weekends (from 5:00 PM Friday to 9:00 AM Monday). It's also streamed online 24/7 at http://www.laoldies.com/. I'm streaming it on my iPhone as I'm posting this message.

As most Angelenos on here may remember, this isn't the first time that music from the '50s and '60s has been heard on the 1260 AM frequency in L.A. Some here may recall that as KGIL, using the "Retro 1260" moniker, the station played a mix of standards and oldies; and for a time under that moniker they had oldies weekends. And from August 2004 to June 2005, they were all oldies every day, with the call letters KSUR. At that time, they simulcasted on Tijuana-licensed XESURF-AM 540, by which time they were "Oldies 540 and 1260," later listing the higher frequency before the lower frequency in their moniker. The Tijuana station still has the XESURF call sign as a Spanish-language Christian station.

I invite those of you who enjoy this kind of music, regardless of your age, to check it out any way you can.

Last edited:
Anything to keep oldies alive.....I'll check it out.

Me too. Very different playlist than some of the other Oldies outlets are currently playing. Much softer.

LA Oldies will identify with the California lifestyle which will be a major theme of the radio station.

That's the stated philosophy, but the first three songs I've heard have been "Little Town Flirt" (Del Shannon, from Michigan, who moved to NYC to become a recording artist), "These Eyes" (Guess Who, from Manitoba), and "Running Scared" (Roy Orbison, from Memphis via Texas). I don't feel that "California lifestyle" vibe yet. Maybe they're going to play only American artists and ignore the British Invasion.

I lived in the Bay Area the first two years of the 60's decade and again during the last few years. In between I was stationed in Long Beach and Vietnam so I sampled a good part of the SoCal 60's. It seemed to begin sort of smooth with holdovers from the 50's (and the new girl groups) then came Surf, Folk Rock and the British Invasion and the beginnings of protest rock. So far I haven't heard much of the latter but it is a nice change from what usually passes as Oldies.

I lived in the Bay Area the first two years of the 60's decade and again during the last few years. In between I was stationed in Long Beach and Vietnam so I sampled a good part of the SoCal 60's. It seemed to begin sort of smooth with holdovers from the 50's (and the new girl groups) then came Surf, Folk Rock and the British Invasion and the beginnings of protest rock. So far I haven't heard much of the latter but it is a nice change from what usually passes as Oldies.

I was in France in 2011. Their Oldies station ("Nostalgie") played the Beach Boys constantly...I guess surf music was popular in France. And they played very few French language Oldies - maybe one in every 6 or 7 songs.

Nice to see KKGO making good use of their HD subchannels..real oldies and Standards on HD3. Two formats that are rarely heard on the main channels. Surprised KRTH dropped their Classics on their HD2 last year. Now if only those two formats were on New York's HD subchannels

The test for this -- and any other canned, no-effort-required format -- will be whether we tune in tomorrow and hear the same songs. And the same songs the day after that.

I was in France in 2011. Their Oldies station ("Nostalgie") played the Beach Boys constantly...I guess surf music was popular in France. And they played very few French language Oldies - maybe one in every 6 or 7 songs.

I seem to remember Surf music having a backlash of sorts. It caught on quickly and was very popular for a short time but then it seemed the California haters began attacking it and it disappeared almost as quickly as it arrived. Today, nationally, there seems to still be a large resentment among Americans living in the East towards CA and everything associated with it. Of course, I don't think those Californians really care one way or the other. They like their culture and complain mostly about the usual stuff - traffic, taxes and the cost of Disneyland tickets.

The test for this -- and any other canned, no-effort-required format -- will be whether we tune in tomorrow and hear the same songs. And the same songs the day after that.

I haven't heard any repeats yet and that is two mostly 8-hour days listening.

For KKGO HD2, the direct streaming URL (for use in media players) is the same one that was used for the Holiday Music stream that was used in November-December 2016:

http://playerservices.streamtheworld.com/api/livestream-redirect/EXTRA_1AAC.aac (48 K, 44 kHz, stereo, AAC)

-and-

http://playerservices.streamtheworld.com/api/livestream-redirect/EXTRA_1.mp3 (48 K, 22 kHz, stereo, MP3)

I seem to remember Surf music having a backlash of sorts. It caught on quickly and was very popular for a short time but then it seemed the California haters began attacking it and it disappeared almost as quickly as it arrived. Today, nationally, there seems to still be a large resentment among Americans living in the East towards CA and everything associated with it. Of course, I don't think those Californians really care one way or the other. They like their culture and complain mostly about the usual stuff - traffic, taxes and the cost of Disneyland tickets.

Especially Disneyland tickets. It's an outrage! :rolleyes: I was in Jr. High school in suburban LA just as the Beach Boys hit the airwaves, and I recall that for a while, kids...boys anyway...were labeled as either "surfers" or "greasers" (reference to hair products). You had to identify yourself as one of the other - no exceptions.

I haven't heard any repeats yet and that is two mostly 8-hour days listening.

Been listening for about an hour and the mix is very good with no commercials. Sound quality not bad either for coming out of my computer speakers. Would be nice if the song listing/now playing features were working, but other than that, no complaints. Each time Saul has done an oldies format he has used a relatively large playlist. I know our pros will say that is why they never last, but it encourages a lot of TSL from me while they do exist.

It's an HD channel, so they're not expecting any real ratings here.

I agree, but he has used similar formats on signal challenged 1260 in the past, to which I was referring. I tuned in whenever I was in the valley, but not many others did, thus very short-lived format. Enjoyed it while it was here.

I am always in the minority on these things. Oldies is with me though!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom