• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Oklahoma City local radio

I just wanted to say how disappointed I am in our local talk stations. We don't have even one local talk station that has live local hosts. KTOK used to be almost all local talk, and then they added Sean Hannity and Rush Limbaugh. Now they are down to one local host all day. Our WKY had a great lineup of local hosts, and then they went Spanish.We have wonderful sports stations. Recently we had some really severe weather come through the city. It was hard to even find a radio station that would stay with us to let us know what was going on. I have started listening to WBAP in Dallas. They have mostly all local hosts and live news every morning. Oklahoma City is missing out. We are big enough to support a local talk station. I know this post isn't going to change anything, but at least I got to say it.

I just wanted to say how disappointed I am in our local talk stations. We don't have even one local talk station that has live local hosts. KTOK used to be almost all local talk, and then they added Sean Hannity and Rush Limbaugh. Now they are down to one local host all day. Our WKY had a great lineup of local hosts, and then they went Spanish.We have wonderful sports stations. Recently we had some really severe weather come through the city. It was hard to even find a radio station that would stay with us to let us know what was going on. I have started listening to WBAP in Dallas. They have mostly all local hosts and live news every morning. Oklahoma City is missing out. We are big enough to support a local talk station. I know this post isn't going to change anything, but at least I got to say it.

wow, shows how little you double check or do any research before posting.

KOKC has two talk/news shows on weekdays, one talk/news show on Saturday along with a local speciality show or two on weekends.

AT least if youre going to make a claim, get you facts right

Kinda suspicious how you only have one post, this one and use it to slam local radio with incorrect facts

Last edited:
wow, shows how little you double check or do any research before posting.

KOKC has two talk/news shows on weekdays, one talk/news show on Saturday along with a local speciality show or two on weekends.

AT least if youre going to make a claim, get you facts right

Kinda suspicious how you only have one post, this one and use it to slam local radio with incorrect facts

This is my first post because I just found this message board. I know of KOKC, and I know they have 2 shows a day. It's an Ok station, but it just wasn't one that drew me in and made me want to listen every day. Maybe I just didn't give it enough of a chance. I'm glad you seem to like it.

This is my first post because I just found this message board. I know of KOKC, and I know they have 2 shows a day. It's an Ok station, but it just wasn't one that drew me in and made me want to listen every day. Maybe I just didn't give it enough of a chance. I'm glad you seem to like it.

Here's my issue though, you said and i quote, "We don't have even one local talk station that has live local hosts."

That was the basis of your post and complaint.

Your complaint contains inaccurate information, which kind of makes your complaint baseless.

It's rare for a talk station these days to have much local talk. A few stations do it, but only in the larger markets. Oklahoma City is Market #50.

1000 KTOK is an iHeart station, which has a lot of money invested in Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity and Glenn Beck. So on weekdays, KTOK has local hosts from 5 to 8 am, before Beck starts, and 5 to 7 pm, after Hannity is over.

1520 KOKC on weekdays has a local morning show from 5 to 9 am and an afternoon show from 3 to 6 pm. That's pretty impressive for a station that has such low ratings, only #24 in the August report. Amazing that KOKC has both a 50,000 watt signal on AM and an FM translator, yet can only manage a .5 rating.

Believe me, most markets below the top 20, and some even in the top 20, have only one talk station, with only a local morning show. Oklahoma City has two talk stations with two local shows each. It also has two NPR news/talk stations, KGOU/KROU (Univ. of Oklahoma) and KOSU-FM (Oklahoma State U.), while most markets, even large ones, only have one NPR outlet. And as mentioned above, car listeners can also tune in WBAP Ft. Worth and KRLD Dallas, both 50,000 watt signals.

It's rare for a talk station these days to have much local talk. A few stations do it, but only in the larger markets. Oklahoma City is Market #50.

1000 KTOK is an iHeart station, which has a lot of money invested in Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity and Glenn Beck. So on weekdays, KTOK has local hosts from 5 to 8 am, before Beck starts, and 5 to 7 pm, after Hannity is over.

1520 KOKC on weekdays has a local morning show from 5 to 9 am and an afternoon show from 3 to 6 pm. That's pretty impressive for a station that has such low ratings, only #24 in the August report. Amazing that KOKC has both a 50,000 watt signal on AM and an FM translator, yet can only manage a .5 rating.

Believe me, most markets below the top 20, and some even in the top 20, have only one talk station, with only a local morning show. Oklahoma City has two talk stations with two local shows each. It also has two NPR news/talk stations, KGOU/KROU (Univ. of Oklahoma) and KOSU-FM (Oklahoma State U.), while most markets, even large ones, only have one NPR outlet. And as mentioned above, car listeners can also tune in WBAP Ft. Worth and KRLD Dallas, both 50,000 watt signals.

you Further make my point that the original posters complaint is invalid and baseless... what more does he want out of OKC radio when it comes to talk programming then?

Last time I listened to KTOK during morning drive it appeared that the afternoon host had prerecorded segments in the morning. The segments weren't bad, but it seemed that there were as many commercial breaks as there were segments. I do enjoy the afternoon news show, even if I may not 100% share his sentiments on some political matters.

I regularly listen to KOKC's afternoon show. How can I not like a show that uses Twenty-One Pilots music in their intro? I do sometimes switch to KTOK at 5:00 for the news and their drive show. I don't really care for KOKC's morning show right now. I know the host is a veteran of the OKC market, but I think I enjoyed him better when he was on a music station. They've had a few morning hosts in the past that I enjoyed more.

you Further make my point that the original posters complaint is invalid and baseless... what more does he want out of OKC radio when it comes to talk programming then?

I venture to guess that the OP wants more local programming and less sydnication. While the OP's complaint is invalid, I think I can see the intended point. I listened to Supertalk 930 before WKY switched to regional Mexican. They had a couple of really good hosts and some that didn't seem to attract much of an audience. I really liked their afternoon drive show! I venture to guess that it was hard to sell enough ads to cover the many local hosts they had on during the day. It was certainly a good effort.

I, for one, wish that either WKY or KOKC could go back to music. I'm sure they didn't make any off the 1520's simulcast of 92.5, but I loved listening to the oldies on a good AM radio! I'll just keep wishing, as it's unlikely to occur with either frequency.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom