• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

OK Governor vetoes bill to re-create OETV authority

The Governor don't need none of that edumacation TV

""Although the OETA may have played a principal role in the provision of educational television services at one time, today the OETA's long-term, strategic value is at best unclear, if not outright imagined," Stitt said. "For these reasons, I have vetoed [the bill]."

Here we go again and its headed to politically loaded rantings about PBS. In this case its the state owned PBS affiliate.

Turns out PBS Newshour aired a segment on LGBT Civil Rights in the Oklahoma State Capital that sparked all this.

Last edited:
What the???
Not Clifford, but one of the other characters on the show has two female parents. Sexuality is never mentioned on the show, but just the mere existence of non-heterosexual fictional characters is enough to trigger these people.

And meanwhile Florida just extended their "Don't Say Gay" law up to the 8th grade. So you can now be old enough to work in a meat processing plant, but not old enough to know that gay people exist.

Not Clifford, but one of the other characters on the show has two female parents. Sexuality is never mentioned on the show, but just the mere existence of non-heterosexual fictional characters is enough to trigger these people.

And meanwhile Florida just extended their "Don't Say Gay" law up to the 8th grade. So you can now be old enough to work in a meat processing plant, but not old enough to know that gay people exist.
I wonder to what extent DeSantis can prevent students from talking to each other?

Why a kids show got dragged into this mess is questionable when I found the likely reason is that the Governor and State Legislature does not want their civil rights record on LGBT issues aired nationwide on PBS Newshour.

Also the local NPR affiliate in the state did put out this story directed at them.

In this case its PBS Newshour that did a segment that the Governor does not want seen nationwide and its this one.

Why a kids show got dragged into this mess is questionable when I found the likely reason is that the Governor and State Legislature does not want their civil rights record on LGBT issues aired nationwide on PBS Newshour.

Also the local NPR affiliate in the state did put out this story directed at them.

In this case its PBS Newshour that did a segment that the Governor does not want seen nationwide and its this one.
Well, gee, if we just never mention the existence of LGBTQ people, get kids working full time and married off in 8th grade, there won't be any LGBTQ people. /s

These folks are really afraid of gay & trans people. More afraid of 'catching' what they have than getting covid.

Last I checked, gay & trans people are citizens who pay taxes. They are covered by all the same rights under the constitution as everyone else. That alone makes all these laws unconstitutional.

Regarding OETV in the OP, from what I can see, the bill had enough votes to override the governor's veto.

If the governor doesn't want the network to do certain things, he can tell them not to do it. That's no reason to shut them down completely.

They can talk, but if a teacher overhears them, they're now required by law to "out" the student to their parents.

That's how the Stasi maintained control in East Germany. Neighbors were encouraged to eavesdrop and snitch on each other.
Yeah, because then Dad can "beat the queer out" of the kid in the name of Jesus

Note the Oklahoma State Legislature is attempting to override the veto to fund the state PBS affiliate OETA.

Here is more reasons why the Governor wants to Defund OETA. I have a partial clue here its PBS Newshour citing both AP and their reporters over Transgender care in Oklahoma. These politicians need to stop blaming kids shows for "indoctrination" when in reality its about stuff they don't want to see on PBS Newshour.

Last edited:
These folks are really afraid of gay & trans people. More afraid of 'catching' what they have than getting covid.

Last I checked, gay & trans people are citizens who pay taxes. They are covered by all the same rights under the constitution as everyone else. That alone makes all these laws unconstitutional.

Regarding OETV in the OP, from what I can see, the bill had enough votes to override the governor's veto.

If the governor doesn't want the network to do certain things, he can tell them not to do it. That's no reason to shut them down completely.
Sure the Governor can tell OETA to not do some stuff but its not going to work given that OETA has an Affiliation membership with PBS. If a film crew with OETA feels they cannot do a documentary under a local production name they can team up with PBS Frontline and PBS Newshour to expose the allegations in Oklahoma on the national level. In this case we will look at PBS Newshour as a source for some of the sparking points that lead to the Governor and allies to veto the funding to OETA.

PBS Newshour Responds again with this report. This is one of many pieces of evidence showing that Governor Stitt and his allies in the Oklahoma State Legislature are actually watching PBS Newshour. This is another case of certain politicians want their PBS and NPR affiliates defunded when it comes to stories that affect them directly and is aired on Morning Edition, All Things Considered, PBS Newshour and PBS Frontline. This is another case of defamation on PBS Kids programming when its really another case of these politicians attacking the news and documentaries divisions of NPR, WETA (Owners of PBS Newshour), and WGBH-TV owners of (PBS Frontline)

Due to Stitt’s veto, OETA is set to cease operations this year — unless the state legislature is able to overrule him.

State Democratic Rep. Monroe Nichols was among those to lash out at Stitt’s move, accusing the governor of trying to replicate Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis’ battle with Disney.
“Make no mistake, the veto has nothing to do with what is good for Oklahoma. It is clear Governor Stitt saw another governor pick a fight with Mickey Mouse so now he’s doing his best to keep pace by sticking it to Big Bird,” Nichols said in a statement.

“It is unfortunate, but this action is part of the governor’s continued attack on public education and underrepresented Oklahoma communities.

Apparently Governor Stitt claims it's this person who triggered him on kids apparently. But this is going down the list of PBS News hour segments that the Oklahoma State Legislature and Stitt does not like.

Due to Stitt’s veto, OETA is set to cease operations this year — unless the state legislature is able to overrule him.

I think that overstates the situation by a ton. The network gets money from many places besides the state. Perhaps the governing body would go away, but not the stations.

Back
Top Bottom