• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

November 2023 Bay Area Radio PPM Ratings

I really have to wonder - what % of KNBR listeners use the FM over the flamethrower AM? Why doesn’t Cumulus take advantage of the fact that KNBR has a solid AM legacy signal? I still hear people telling me to listen to the game and giving me their AM signal far more then the FM signal.

Cumulus could try any other format on 104.5, surely it would be better for their billing as a whole.

Single-line reporting makes it impossible for us to know for sure, but what I have heard from PDs of legacy AMs that begin an FM simulcast (and I was ND at one of those until four years ago) is that unless your FM signal is substandard, within a year at least half of your audience is listening to the FM instead of the AM.

If KNBR were to flip 104.5 to something else, a significant number of those listeners would not find their way back to AM, and would likely start listening to The Game instead.

You can see how other companies have fared in trying new formats. Not good.
As has been pointed out (by Mike if I recall), once simulcasting begins and at least half the audience has migrated to FM, there's no turning back. The move in 2018 was obviously done to protect the cash cow of KNBR. Cumulus had limited options, and sent the good ship KFOG to sail. Yes, the call letters are parked in Little Rock, also famous for its foggy, cool weather*, so Cumulus theoretically could revive it someday. The only place I would see that happening would be on 107.7, and that only on Easter in a leap year.

Before this year, I thought there might be a remote chance that Cumulus would dump The Bone for a KGO simulcast but I don't see that happening now, not even if California legalizes sports gambling.

As has also often been pointed out, Cumulus in San Francisco has a cluster where decline is structural and built-in, the result of combining two AM-heavy operations.

(* closed-captioning for the literal-minded: that's a joke. Everything else in this post is reasonably sincere.)

Before this year, I thought there might be a remote chance that Cumulus would dump The Bone for a KGO simulcast but I don't see that happening now, not even if California legalizes sports gambling.

There is no chance in hell of that happening. The Bone is very popular, especially Lamont and Tonelli's morning show. No one listens to KGO, except for maybe the Jim Rome show.

Back
Top Bottom