• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Not About Rochester

What the heck's going on at WKTV? Are chimpanzees from the Utica Zoo running the switcher on the noon show today?

Just in the first 15 minutes:

"We go to (xxx) live in the newsroom for more."
Reporter was look-live, on tape at the actual story location.

"Saddam Hussein" tease super over the weather maps.

Tease supers change an agonizing 2-3 seconds after the video changes.

Weird music edit in the talent bumper (not the director's fault, but still sounds weird)

Then they go to a package, and just hit black for 20 seconds. The entire time, the anchor's mic is left wide open, and he eventually starts tapping on the desk before making the humiliating "technical difficulties" apology.

Banter between WX and anchor at the end of WX got clipped, they closed the WX guy's mic too early, and didn't open the anchor's mic soon enough.

...and this isn't just any anchor, it's the GM of the station!

Seems like there have been lots of mis-punched supers on all the newscasts lately. Wrong names, boards/supers showing up a story earlier than they're supposed to, and so on.

At least they finally made better-looking weather graphics.

How long until the gang at UTR/FXV gets their operation off the ground? I've said it before, and as time goes by, I continue to say with more confidence each time... if ever there was a time to challenge KTV, this is it. I've seen better switching from people who directed 'casts just once a week in college.

WKTV = We Killed TeleVision

Come on Bob... for someone who obviously knows a lot about the Upstate New York TV scene I would think you'd have a handle on this one. WKTV made the switch to the great and glorious Parkervision this past April. There's no 'switcher', there's no 'director' (or audio operator or camera operator or anything like that), just a person sitting in front of a PC hitting the space bar every once in a while. If the computer glitches, freezes, or crashes, you're screwed. Let me tell you, they don't teach PV at BOCES or HCCC (where WKTV gets most of their production employees), those schools try to teach these kids how the rest of the planet does real news.

By the way, they've had NINE months to adjust to the PV system. Apparently they have't worked out all the kinks yet. Not that it matters, right? What else are people in Utica going to watch for their local news?

Re: WKTV = We Killed TeleVision

> Come on Bob... for someone who obviously knows a lot about
> the Upstate New York TV scene I would think you'd have a
> handle on this one. WKTV made the switch to the great and
> glorious Parkervision this past April.

I've heard all about the Parkervision. My point was how awful it looks, just to save a few dollars, and to point how awfully horrible WKTV has become, compared to ten, or even five years ago.

We Killed TV sounds about right, I like that line.

And I agree with you 100%, it's all because they have a monopoly. If WUTR had stuck around and kept at it, either WKTV would have also kept at it, or WUTR would be running circles around them by now.

It's really a pisspoor shame that Utica viewers have no other choice. A station that for years, has performed much better than you'd expect for this size market, is now worse than any station I can think of.

Re: WKTV = We Killed TeleVision

> My point was how > awful it looks, just to save a few dollars, and to point how > awfully horrible WKTV has become, compared to ten, or even
> five years ago.>
> We Killed TV sounds about right, I like that line.>
A station that for years, has performed much
> better than you'd expect for this size market, is now worse
> than any station I can think of.

As a former employee of WKTV, it makes me very sad to hear what is going on there. I still have some friends that work there, and I feel for them, as well. They lasted thu Harron years when it was just embarrasing to watch. Then Smith came in and made WKTV pretty much a first class operation for the size market. Now, according to what is posted here (I haven't seen WKTV in a couple years) it has degrading back to the 1970's conditions. You are probably right when you mention it is due to a lack of competion. Hopefully, Nexstar will put local news back on WUTR & WFXV and things will improve.
>

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom