• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

No one cares....

The station is targeted at a much younger demo than most of the posters here. Janet Snyder has broken ground as the first female morning host leading what was a large market radio station 30-odd years ago. I freely admit that her shtick isn't my cup of tea, but she's deserving of the honor from the Buffalo Broadcasters Association. I suspect that her act appeals more to the 35-54 moms than the 18-34 segment of the target audience. Kiss has apparently picked up some of the former Star 102.5 audience, so she'll likely continue on Kiss as long as she wants and is willing to work for what Audacy is willing to pay her.

. I suspect that her act appeals more to the 35-54 moms than the 18-34 segment of the target audience. Kiss has apparently picked up some of the former Star 102.5 audience, so she'll likely continue on Kiss as long as she wants and is willing to work for what Audacy is willing to pay her.
Going back a few books so as not to reveal specifics on the current one: Kiss was #1 in 12-17, #2 in 18-24, # 3 in 18-34 and #9 in 35-64. That is rather normal CHR performance. Mornings are #3 in 18-34 and 9th in 25-54.

The smart thing these CHR stations do is surround their heritage DJs with a diverse crew of younger people who will keep the conversation from getting too old. Plus very few older listeners can put up with today's pop music and the very small CHR playlist.

BTW, Tim Wenger from WBEN was also inducted last night, so it was a big night for Audacy. They were well-represented at the event. Even Janet's mom & dad showed up. Maybe Paul Snyder will buy what's left of Audacy Buffalo if he can get a public subsidy to pay a substantial part of the cost.

If you mean this, it was announced a while ago:
I wonder how many posters here listen to KISS,
I check Kiss occasionally just to get an idea of what's playing and how it's being played. Same for Star "now at 96." I give Janet her due. Kiss is much the same as most CHRs in the USA. CHR music to my upper demo sensibilities is unappealing, largely vapid and self-absorbed. Then again, people who were 60+ in 1964 probably said the same for the Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple and Rolling Stones, most certainly for the Archies, Herman's Hermits, Freddy and the Dreamers and Son & Cher.
Even Janet's mom & dad showed up. Maybe Paul Snyder will buy what's left of Audacy Buffalo if he can get a public subsidy to pay a substantial part of the cost.
Laughing. Guessing he, at long last, wasn't booed for selling the Buffalo Braves.

Going back a few books so as not to reveal specifics on the current one: Kiss was #1 in 12-17, #2 in 18-24, # 3 in 18-34 and #9 in 35-64. That is rather normal CHR performance. Mornings are #3 in 18-34 and 9th in 25-54.
Being in 9th place in key demos is a bad sign. Now that STAR is gone, Audacy may shift the focus on KISS to try to improve.

Is the Buffalo Broadcasting Hall of Fame for people who can't get into the NAB one? Wonder if Toledo or Des Moines have their own as well. No One Cares...

I check Kiss occasionally just to get an idea of what's playing and how it's being played. Same for Star "now at 96." I give Janet her due. Kiss is much the same as most CHRs in the USA. CHR music to my upper demo sensibilities is unappealing, largely vapid and self-absorbed. Then again, people who were 60+ in 1964 probably said the same for the Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple and Rolling Stones, most certainly for the Archies, Herman's Hermits, Freddy and the Dreamers and Son & Cher.

Laughing. Guessing he, at long last, wasn't booed for selling the Buffalo Braves.
Or the Buffalo Hyatt that screwed up the radial street pattern in downtown Buffalo and missed mortgage payments that ended up leading to foreclosure.

Being in 9th place in key demos is a bad sign. Now that STAR is gone, Audacy may shift the focus on KISS to try to improve.

Is the Buffalo Broadcasting Hall of Fame for people who can't get into the NAB one? Wonder if Toledo or Des Moines have their own as well. No One Cares...
It's becoming evident that no one cares about your ill-informed opinions. Maybe if we ignore you you'll just go bother a market where you actually live.

Is the Buffalo Broadcasting Hall of Fame for people who can't get into the NAB one?

Some members of the Buffalo Hall of Fame are in the bigger ones. Buffalo has been the launching point for many famous broadcasters. I know Philadelphia and DC also have a local HOF. All it takes is to have an active group of local broadcasters who want to start one. Most of the states have broadcaster associations and they do these kinds of things.

C'mon man. You make yourself look small with a take like that. Be big. Be a builder!

Yes, people DO care. Judging by the numerous Facebook posts, it was a well-attended ... sold out ... gala night that celebrated the accomplishments and contributions of numerous locals, from cameramen/women, engineers, producers, to on-air, DJs, news anchors and reporters ... some of whom worked in LA and NY and returned to Buffalo. Some who never left.

And if Toledo, Des Moines ... or Duluth ... have halls of fame for their broadcasters, more power to them.

Yes, people DO care. Judging by the numerous Facebook posts, it was a well-attended ... sold out ... gala night that celebrated the accomplishments and contributions of numerous locals, from cameramen/women, engineers, producers, to on-air, DJs, news anchors and reporters ... some of whom worked in LA and NY and returned to Buffalo. Some who never left.

And if Toledo, Des Moines ... or Duluth ... have halls of fame for their broadcasters, more power to them.
Some people question the validity of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. It seems like a vanity project to me. I'm sure you've known many egomaniacs in Radio. If people enjoy it, then party on...

Heck, my dad was 43 in 1964 and "unappealing" was the mildest term he used for the likes of Deep Purple and the Stones (although Deep Purple didn't come around for another three years). As for the lighter acts you mentioned, he had a catchall term for them: "pimple music."

Being in 9th place in key demos is a bad sign.
Huh? It has rather typical demos for a CHR, and it bills nicely.
Now that STAR is gone, Audacy may shift the focus on KISS to try to improve.
Why? They have astoundingly good and salable number in the younger demos. Take a look at their 25-44 women numbers... and realize that it's a key demo for many agency buys.
Is the Buffalo Broadcasting Hall of Fame for people who can't get into the NAB one?
NAB does not have one. They have annual Marconi awards, and in conjunction with other groups, have additional ones.

NAB does not have one. They have annual Marconi awards, and in conjunction with other groups, have additional ones.

He may be referring to the Radio Hall of Fame put on by Chicago's Museum of Broadcast Communications.

Here it is...
I never realized that the HoF was different from the Marconi Awards. The NAB has a variety of awards, and hard to tell them apart, even after you get one!

Back
Top Bottom