• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

No More "Radio"

Perhaps this is old news, but was listening to KFI this morning and noticed all the imaging now says "More Stimulating Talk" instead of "More Stimulating Talk Radio".

Anyone else noticed this tweak?

Perhaps this is old news, but was listening to KFI this morning and noticed all the imaging now says "More Stimulating Talk" instead of "More Stimulating Talk Radio".

Anyone else noticed this tweak?

Radio is such a thing of the past. My grandparents used to listen to Dodger games on the radio. We're so much more sophisticated than that now.

And yet Pandora markets itself as radio. That doesn't seem to bother their users.

Users of audio services other than pure on-demand ones (Slacker, etc) in their vast majority, refer to sound without pictures as "radio".

The differentiate sources (FM, smartphone, etc) but think of FMs that also stream to be the same thing... they are not really concerned about the transmission system and are focused on being able to listen on the devices they mostly use which are car radios and smartphones.

As you say, it does not bother them at all... most have probably not spent even a moment of time considering the differences.

Users of audio services other than pure on-demand ones (Slacker, etc) in their vast majority, refer to sound without pictures as "radio".

The differentiate sources (FM, smartphone, etc) but think of FMs that also stream to be the same thing... they are not really concerned about the transmission system and are focused on being able to listen on the devices they mostly use which are car radios and smartphones.

As you say, it does not bother them at all... most have probably not spent even a moment of time considering the differences.

That reminds me that one of the KGO-AM talk hosts used to throw it to the KGO-TV anchor for a preview of the 5:00 News, introducing it is "Channel 7 Radio with Pictures."

They have been doin that for a minute.

Like in my hometown of louisville ky on ihearts news/talk they went from sayin eighty four whas to eight forty whas.

So they have done it on other stations but it started a year ago or so.

Yes - and we still "dial" our phones and "tape" TV shows with our DVR.

And roll up our car windows by pressing the power window button! While we're at it, how many jocks still say "pot up the volume"?

Last edited:
And football coaches and players still say they look at the "films" after every game.

And El Rushbo still commands to "stop the tape". Cassette and resume to follow I guess!

I get what you mean with "record album", but technically there is nothing in those words that denotes the medium. "Record" is just short for "recording", and "album" just means "a collection of songs". I get that people have in the past used those words, separately or together, as shorthand for vinyl, but it doesn't mean that using them for other audio media is inherently odd in the same way as, say, using the word "rewind" for a DVD or online stream.

Getting back to the topic, I don't pay attention to logos, all I know is KFI dropped the word "radio" in its on-air promos and station identifications years ago. I noticed Wayne Resnick stopped saying "AM 640" several years ago, but I haven't listened to his show in a long time. If that caught on with other hosts/news anchors I've somehow not noticed. Funny how I listen to the station every day and noticed them dropping the "radio" part but I can't tell you whether they still announce the frequency. Don't FCC regulations require stations to announce the frequency and call sign or is it just the call sign?

EDIT: The first part was directed at microbob.

Don't FCC regulations require stations to announce the frequency and call sign or is it just the call sign?

Call letters and community of license are the only required data in the hourly station ID.

Call letters and community of license are the only required data in the hourly station ID.

Years ago, KFI's legal was often done thusly:

"...this is fifty-thousand watt, clear channel, K--F--I, Los Angeles...Earle C. Anthony Incorporated."

Or when done by Al "Jazzbo" Collins on the overnight show, this was sometimes heard:

",,,this is fifty-thousand watt, clear channel, K-F-I, Los Angeles...at 6-4-oh on your ever-lovin' knob."

Both examples of course proper and legal, as the calls were immediately followed by the COL.
("Clear channel" as it was a 50 kw 1-A, not to be confused with today's iHATERadio--which of course now owns KFI.)

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom