• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

News radio kgam drops coast to coast switches to red eye radio.

What do you mean by "KGAM"? Didn't they just turn in their license? Perhaps you did mean WGAN

Is WGAN the best AM signal in Maine? Certainly in Southern Maine. 5,000 watts around the clock, low on the dial, directional. There's an 870 in Gorham-Portland with 10,000 watts days. But it drops to 1,000 watts at night.

Bangor has 620 WZON, also 5,000 watts around the clock. Non-directional by day, directional at night.

But Maine's most powerful AM station is in Presque Isle. Catholic WEGP 1390. 25,000 watts days non-directional, 10,000 nights directional. But it's in sparsely populated Northern Maine and high up the dial. I picked it up once at night in New Hampshire and once in Nova Scotia..

Is WGAN the best AM signal in Maine? Certainly in Southern Maine. 5,000 watts around the clock, low on the dial, directional. There's an 870 in Gorham-Portland with 10,000 watts days. But it drops to 1,000 watts at night.

Bangor has 620 WZON, also 5,000 watts around the clock. Non-directional by day, directional at night.

But Maine's most powerful AM station is in Presque Isle. Catholic WEGP 1390. 25,000 watts days non-directional, 10,000 nights directional. But it's in sparsely populated Northern Maine and high up the dial. I picked it up once at night in New Hampshire and once in Nova Scotia..
Seeming as how the question was about the best signal and not the most powerful, I would say that WEGP is out of the running.

Just from listening over the years,I'd say 970 am has the best signal.Back in the day I used to listen to Don & Mike on WZAN,almost FM quality in it's primary coverage area.

Just from listening over the years,I'd say 970 am has the best signal.Back in the day I used to listen to Don & Mike on WZAN,almost FM quality in it's primary coverage area.
Funny, before Don and Mike went live in Portland we were listening in the tech center thinking this show was crazy funny. I'll never forget the item number of the sheet protectors Don liked, the PV119's.....I still request them! I agree, the daytime 970 signal is a little better with it being omni-directional and the center of the AM band, additionally the frequency is less impacted by other radiation sources causing "birdies" in the audio.

Speak of the devil...

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom