• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

New tube AM transmitters?

Does anyone know of any company that still makes new tube AM transmitters in the 5 to 10 KW range? Just wonderin'

(believe it or not there are times when a solid state transmitter just won't fit the application)

cheers,
Joe

> Does anyone know of any company that still makes new tube AM
> transmitters in the 5 to 10 KW range? Just wonderin'
>
> (believe it or not there are times when a solid state
> transmitter just won't fit the application)
>
> cheers,
> Joe
> you got that right, especially if the antenna system is old and poor ground system.sold a guy a MW1A and told him i would not use it until he got his antenna system in better shape.well good old lightning got it and knocked out 5 grand in modules..i use it with a double folded unipole antenna and have been in the building when it took lightning strikes and kept on trucking.had a awesome ground system.check with energy-onix i think they still have the tube type...

I believe there are some European companies that still make tube AM transmitters.

Especially in that power range.

Try a Google search, I am thinking there is a manufacturer in Croatia, as well as one of the Italian companies.

They probably will meet FCC specs, as European specs are equivalent, or even tougher.

Buy a real transmitter, not Energy Onix (at least if it is an FM). I have two of these units and they are as cheep as they come. The isn't even an external interlock that doesn't take more 2 minutes to reenergize the PA. I would love to see how they go from DA to NDA. My GM would have my head on a silver platter if we were of for 4 minutes a day.<P ID="signature">______________
You want to book the remote when?!?!</P>

> Does anyone know of any company that still makes new tube AM
> transmitters in the 5 to 10 KW range? Just wonderin'
>
> (believe it or not there are times when a solid state
> transmitter just won't fit the application)
>
> cheers,
> Joe
>

I'd sure like to know what kind of application you're dealing with. I've never seen a situation where I'd prefer a AM tube transmitter to solid state. I've replaced 7 tube transmitters with solid state the past 3 years and I haven't run into a situation yet that I would prefer the tube transmitter.

If you have to retune the transmitter on a regular basis or have lightning problems, then you've got a stability problem that needs to be fixed regardless of what type of transmitter you're using.

RFB

> > Does anyone know of any company that still makes new tube
> AM
> > transmitters in the 5 to 10 KW range? Just wonderin'
> >
> > (believe it or not there are times when a solid state
> > transmitter just won't fit the application)
> >
> > cheers,
> > Joe
> >
>
> I'd sure like to know what kind of application you're
> dealing with. I've never seen a situation where I'd prefer
> a AM tube transmitter to solid state. I've replaced 7 tube
> transmitters with solid state the past 3 years and I haven't
> run into a situation yet that I would prefer the tube
> transmitter.
>
> If you have to retune the transmitter on a regular basis or
> have lightning problems, then you've got a stability problem
> that needs to be fixed regardless of what type of
> transmitter you're using.
>
> RFB
>
The only reason I can think of is for emergency purposes....that old GE will run into a piece of wire!
I'm having trouble even finding functional tubes for the last remaining AM I have with tubes. I have to buy twenty 807's just to get a pair that match(somewhat)....they last about 2 months on the RF driver side and then they die. I use some of the left overs (used) from the 70's and 80's and get better, longer performance than the new ones.
If you have ever had a DX10 or 50, and you still want a tube rig, you are some kinda' interesting engineer!

> I'd sure like to know what kind of application you're
> dealing with.

I'd love to use a solid state transmitter...but...

This is a directional application where due to design limitations there are bandwidth restrictions. It's a classic story...the array looks great at carrier but with modulation resistance and reactance vary quite alot. Tube trasmitters are very tolerant of VSWR issues. Solid state transmitters are not as tolerant. Several manufacturers have told me they cannot promise their transmitter will not go into foldback under modulation, even with severe restrictions on audio bandwidth.

In an ideal world I'd have the array redesigned for flatter response (broadbanding as it's called) and probably will someday. This is something some stations who wish to run IBOC digital are having to do. Some stations had to do similar things to this back in the days of AM stereo as well.

I'm really not too serious about buying a new tube transmitter (we have 2 in nice shape)...this is more of 'curiosity' question.

Happy 4th !

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom