• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

New Spillover Station for 710 ESPN Radio

With the sale of 1110 AM, 710 AM was going to need a new station for game broadcast conflicts.
(Since the L.A. Rams joined the fold, the occasional simultaneous L.A. Lakers game would be broadcasted on 1110 AM.)
(Also applied to LAFC broadcasts.)

With the Sunday 10/15/2023 Cardinals-Rams game at Sofi Stadium (kickoff at 1:25 PM PT) being heard on 710 AM,
the Lakers preseason game vs. the Milwaukee Bucks at Crypto.com Arena (tipoff shortly after 4 PM PT) will be heard on...

KABC 790.

KABC is also the radio home of USC Trojan sports and the San Francisco 49ers.

With the sale of 1110 AM, 710 AM was going to need a new station for game broadcast conflicts.
(Since the L.A. Rams joined the fold, the occasional simultaneous L.A. Lakers game would be broadcasted on 1110 AM.)
(Also applied to LAFC broadcasts.)

With the Sunday 10/15/2023 Cardinals-Rams game at Sofi Stadium (kickoff at 1:25 PM PT) being heard on 710 AM,
the Lakers preseason game vs. the Milwaukee Bucks at Crypto.com Arena (tipoff shortly after 4 PM PT) will be heard on...

KABC 790.

KABC is also the radio home of USC Trojan sports and the San Francisco 49ers.
how does that work? On another note, I still don’t understand how Kabc hasn’t flipped to sports.

Because their signal sucks and couldn’t compete with KLAC
The KABC signal does not suck... it has a 5 mV/m reaching 12.07 million, while KLAC reaches 13.3 million. In the case of both stations, the fringe coverage is not even in the LA metro survey area; in LA and Orange Counties both have nearly identical coverage. The full LA/Orange market is 13.8 million, and the two stations differ mostly in the Riverside/San Bernardino coverage and that is not in the LA market.

My mistake David. I remember you or someone else mentioning in past discussions about KABC’s ratings, that the demographics of the area(s) KABC’s signal covers doesn’t lend itself to getting good ratings for talk radio. So I was guessing that in terms of sports talk, that problem would still exist for KABC, but maybe not. Do you think sports talk would be more successful on KABC than what they’re doing now?

We have to keep in mind that Good Karma has already shown its hand that traditional broadcasting will not be its primary outlet, and they're counting on more listening via the ESPN app. That's what they said with regards to relinquishing the full power FM signal in NYC.

The KABC signal does not suck... it has a 5 mV/m reaching 12.07 million, while KLAC reaches 13.3 million. In the case of both stations, the fringe coverage is not even in the LA metro survey area; in LA and Orange Counties both have nearly identical coverage. The full LA/Orange market is 13.8 million, and the two stations differ mostly in the Riverside/San Bernardino coverage and that is not in the LA market.
Ahhhh.... but as you're so quick to remind us, the 5 isn't really a viable listenable contour these days. What's the comparison for the 10 or 15 mV/m, and which signal does better over the desirable coverage areas?

Ahhhh.... but as you're so quick to remind us, the 5 isn't really a viable listenable contour these days. What's the comparison for the 10 or 15 mV/m, and which signal does better over the desirable coverage areas?
The 10 for both is about equal of the LA market. 570 is closer to the Riverside market, but the better frequency gives it a bit better LA market coverage. I don't have the 15 mV/m contours, as the industry "sources" have not adjusted to the need for higher strength for comparison / effectiveness.

We have to keep in mind that Good Karma has already shown its hand that traditional broadcasting will not be its primary outlet, and they're counting on more listening via the ESPN app. That's what they said with regards to relinquishing the full power FM signal in NYC.

With the right personalities, and there are a few who could occupy time on Kabc, they could do the same thing GK is doing

Count me among the confused. For years, David, you've said that part of the downfall of KABC was a primarily Westside signal that worked for them in the 70s and 80s, but, as those neighborhoods changed, left them at a disadvantage. Were you speaking specifically in comparison to KFI, which ate their lunch in the talk format, or overall? And what about the night signal for KABC?

They're not in the sports radio business the way GK is. Good Karma has the relationship with ESPN, and they've spent the money on the rights for the Lakers and the Rams.
I'm sorry, huh? This is Cumulus (or "Radio License Holdings LLC", as the FCC knows them), which runs KNBR (AM & FM), KTCT and KGO, just in San Francisco. All these are sports stations of one form or another. (I'm not familiar with their holdings in other markets, but they probably include other sports talkers.) The SF stations (at minimum) have past and present relationships with ESPN, CBS Sports Radio and others. So why shouldn't TPTB at KABC consider the sports arena, if it makes financial and market sense for them?

It doesn't. Cumulus has FAIP left the LA market.
FAIP? "For all intents and purposes?" That's a new one to me.

But Cumulus does still own KABC, right? And they're not intentionally running it as a non-profit? So the goal is to make money, which is a challenge if nobody's listening to the right-wing drivel they're currently airing off the bird. So is sports likely to do appreciably worse than the disaster they already have?

And again, it's not like they don't already have some expertise in this format. At worst, they could put the same betting format on that KGO currently airs, and see if the PI approach is any improvement. In fact, they could almost simulcast KGO.

Cumulus does still own KABC, right? And they're not intentionally running it as a non-profit?

They're running it basically with very limited staff. They let the manager (who was also the PD) go in June. They share space with Cumulus-owned Westwood One. I'm not aware of any local sales staff. They no longer subscribe to Nielsen. They run national spots and do contract deals like this one with GKB. If someone wants to lease time on their signal, they'll do a time deal.

About the signal levels- hire an engineer or ask an engineering friend to make a map with the contours you'd like to see. Or you might find a way to do it yourself.

25 years ago in Hollywood I measured about 45 mV from KNX, KFI, KTNQ, etc.
KABC and KKHJ had significantly more signal, don't recall exactly how much.

I think in earlier times, much of the media world and taste-makers were in the downtown to ocean corridor, and the southern SF valley. Many media people got 100 mV 24/7 from KABC and KHJ. Listeners in the canyons may have experienced better reception of KABC and KFI, compared to FM signals from Mount Wilson.

Last edited:
25 years ago in Hollywood I measured about 45 mV from KNX, KFI, KTNQ, etc.
KABC and KKHJ had significantly more signal, don't recall exactly how much.

Keep in mind that KABC's tower is no longer on La Cienega. In 2016, the site was sold and the tower moved a few miles away, sharing with KWKW. There was also a small power increase at that time. The measurements you made 25 years ago have changed.

Back
Top Bottom