• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

New Pirate in Austin Market?

I’m hearing what sounds like another pirate station near cedar park on 89.1fm. All soft rock with no station IDs or commercials. Comes in for a few miles in the area of Cedar Park High School. The closest stations I see are KTIM out of LaGrange and KJZX-LP in SE Austin. Anyone else hear it?

An FM transmitter can be obtained online fairly easily nowadays, license or no license.

Very few eBay FMs actually deployed. It’s rare to hear anything but evangelical, Spanish or corporate stations on the air anymore, so it tickles me to hear good LPFMs and unlicensed FMs in this area. May be easy to do, but expensive and nobody wants to do it. People nowadays really only listen to FM in the car. And the trend is toward streaming in the car too. Oh well.

LOL I wonder what happens to most of those units sold on Ebay and other places... I heard something 2 months ago playing a cappella choral Christmas songs as though from a church, covered a block or two but never heard it again.

LOL I wonder what happens to most of those units sold on Ebay and other places... I heard something 2 months ago playing a cappella choral Christmas songs as though from a church, covered a block or two but never heard it again.
Besides, 89.1 comes in all up and down 183a, similar to 94.3; so I doubt it’s just a little whole house transmitter.

Are the signals stereo or mono? I heard a couple mono pirates in Austin before. One or two stereo though.

Are the signals stereo or mono? I heard a couple mono pirates in Austin before. One or two stereo though.
It’s in stereo, and I stand corrected…. There is RDS and it’s on 88.9 instead of 89.1 now and sounds louder.

RDS says 89 Live - ad free community radio for cedar park.

Attachments

• B5CD4184-0353-4F20-87EA-523BAD71DCC5.jpeg
    B5CD4184-0353-4F20-87EA-523BAD71DCC5.jpeg
    64.4 KB · Views: 9
Does it seem like both stations are from the same location? It’s probably the same person running both

Very few eBay FMs actually deployed. It’s rare to hear anything but evangelical, Spanish or corporate stations on the air anymore, so it tickles me to hear good LPFMs and unlicensed FMs in this area.
Nearly all radio stations, going back many, many, many decades are owned by corporations.

And since you are posting in the San Antonio forum, I'll mention that the metro area is over half Hispanic and many of them prefer radio in Spanish. Since you are in a minority group, you can't expect as much service.
May be easy to do, but expensive and nobody wants to do it. People nowadays really only listen to FM in the car. And the trend is toward streaming in the car too. Oh well.
I keep having to say this over and over: the data from the Nielsen diary markets shows that less than half of all listening to AM and FM is in the car.

Back
Top Bottom