• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

New CHR in Ithaca, NY

Nick said:
You can hear 93Q from Syracuse, WINK 106.1 from Elmira, and Wild 104 from Binghamton in Ithaca.

Depends where you are. Because of the terrain (the city of Ithaca sits in a hole at the south end of Cayuga Lake, surrounded by cliffs that rise several hundred feet in every direction except due north), FM reception in Ithaca is tricky at best, impossible at worst. There are some spots up on the hills that can hear Syracuse, Corning/Elmira and Binghamton, but most of the people live down in the bowl.

Even Ithaca's own FMs use translators down in the bowl to fill in gaps in their own coverage.

I've heard 93Q and Wink driving around Ithaca (though not down in the city proper), but have never heard Wild there.

Scott Fybush said:
Nick said:
You can hear 93Q from Syracuse, WINK 106.1 from Elmira, and Wild 104 from Binghamton in Ithaca.

Even Ithaca's own FMs use translators down in the bowl to fill in gaps in their own coverage.

I don't think people even know those translators exist. Stations like Lite Rock and Q Country seemed like they didn't need the translators.

Plus, aren't 870 WHCU and 1470 WNYY on those translators now?

Beejus said:
I don't think people even know those translators exist. Stations like Lite Rock and Q Country seemed like they didn't need the translators.

Yes - Saga put WHCU on the 95.5 (soon to be 95.9) that used to be the 97.3 relay, and WNYY on the 103.1 that used to be the 103.7 relay. At last check, though, WVBR still had its 105.5 translator, and WIII definitely has its 100.3 that it depends on for in-city coverage.

It's true that the translators are less important than they used to be. I remember the old WHCU-FM 97.3 promoting 95.5 fairly heavily, though, back in the day.

Scott Fybush said:
Beejus said:

Yes - Saga put WHCU on the 95.5 (soon to be 95.9) that used to be the 97.3 relay, and WNYY on the 103.1 that used to be the 103.7 relay. At last check, though, WVBR still had its 105.5 translator, and WIII definitely has its 100.3 that it depends on for in-city coverage.

It's true that the translators are less important than they used to be. I remember the old WHCU-FM 97.3 promoting 95.5 fairly heavily, though, back in the day.

Cool to know. I was only there from '01-'05.

I think the only station that really NEEDED a translator was WIII and the rest just cluttered the dial. But what can you do?

Z95-5 is streaming online. 10,000 in a row with no commercials. Pretty good mix from what I listened to today.

www.z955.net

Roger That said:
Except for the commercials they play between every record.

There's a difference between "commercials" and "imaging." It's commonplace for a brand new station to run imaging after every song to make sure listeners know what they are listening to. There are some who may purposely seek out the station, but there are others who will find it "by accident" while scanning around the dial, or perhaps hearing it for a few minutes on someone else's radio (in a car or a store, etc.).

Many stations continue to identify and promote themselves even after they aren't so "new" anymore, if they have a direct format competitor in the market. When you're playing a nearly-identical playlist, getting your name out there after every song is very important in the effort to make sure listeners "remember" the right name when they fill out their Arb diary at the end of the day.

On a side note, we were a couple days behind the news on Saga starting its own CHR to compete with WFIZ. Anyone reading this who happens to be in the Ithaca area... we're a bit too far away to hear what's happening on the radio down there for ourselves. We're always appreciative for news tips on any kind of radio happenings in the market.

CNYRadio.com said:
There's a difference between "commercials" and "imaging."

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Think so? Ask your local listener if they think so. No wonder radio is dying. Just reading that sentence makes me want to vomit.

I understand why they're doing it, and I also understand the need to brand a new station (even though they're not branding, simply hammering home their name and positioner, which is NOT branding. It's annoying.)

But, don't pretend that said new station is commercial-free ANYTHING. They're playing a commercial between EVERY RECORD. Those commercials, however, just happen to be for the radio station, not a client. And there's not a normal radio listener that would disagree with me.

Okay, I'm listening to the new Hits 103.3, which was launched a couple of weeks after Z, and I gotta tell you - it sucks!
Very, very vanilla flavored. I'm mainly hearing Hot A/C titles and Radio Disney artists. Miley Cyrus "See You Again" into "Lovebug" by Jonas Brothers?

http://www.hits1033.com/

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom