• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

New 92.7 on the air

Forever owning a station that plays independent/AAA music? If only. They only own stations that play the same old s*** formats that everyone else does.

Forever owning a station that plays independent/AAA music? If only. They only own stations that play the same old s*** formats that everyone else does.

With a WXPN relay in the area, would independent/AAA work on a commercial station?

I guess doing a CHR format to pair with Forever's country/rock/AC cluster of stations in the York area is the best we get.

With a WXPN relay in the area, would independent/AAA work on a commercial station?

I guess doing a CHR format to pair with Forever's country/rock/AC cluster of stations in the York area is the best we get.
I know some people might disagree with the following statement, and that is fine, but I think that XPN plays a lot of garbage. They play a lot of good stuff, and are one of my favorite stations to listen to, but they also play a lot of stuff I don't care for. That is the case with many non-comm AAA's that pride themselves on playing a wide variety. I recognize that one man's trash is another man's treasure, and some people like the stuff I don't like, and vice versa.

In some markets there are commercial AAA stations that have much tighter playlists and are almost like a rock AC format. A good example being KBCO in Boulder/Denver Colorado: Find the most recently played songs on 97.3 KBCO . I'd be curious if someone tried this is the Harrisburg/Lancaster/Lebanon/York area. A good replacement for Alt 99.3.

No matter what they throw on there, 92.7 is probably incredibly cheap to run for Forever. They can sell ad bundles with their other stations, and probably have little to no DJ presence. Forever seems to buy out struggling stations and run them on the cheap. A while back I was driving near State College and could hear the same exact radio program with the same songs on three of their stations (99.5 The Bus State College, Rocky 104.9 Altoona, and Rocky 99.1 Ebensburg).

I know some people might disagree with the following statement, and that is fine, but I think that XPN plays a lot of garbage. They play a lot of good stuff, and are one of my favorite stations to listen to, but they also play a lot of stuff I don't care for. That is the case with many non-comm AAA's that pride themselves on playing a wide variety. I recognize that one man's trash is another man's treasure, and some people like the stuff I don't like, and vice versa.

In some markets there are commercial AAA stations that have much tighter playlists and are almost like a rock AC format. A good example being KBCO in Boulder/Denver Colorado: Find the most recently played songs on 97.3 KBCO . I'd be curious if someone tried this is the Harrisburg/Lancaster/Lebanon/York area. A good replacement for Alt 99.3.

No matter what they throw on there, 92.7 is probably incredibly cheap to run for Forever. They can sell ad bundles with their other stations, and probably have little to no DJ presence. Forever seems to buy out struggling stations and run them on the cheap. A while back I was driving near State College and could hear the same exact radio program with the same songs on three of their stations (99.5 The Bus State College, Rocky 104.9 Altoona, and Rocky 99.1 Ebensburg).
Speaking of cheap, the Forever Media logos are cheap too

I don't particularly like Q102, but all these translators are making DXing less fun.
The FCC has no interest in DXing. They have very little interest in any listening outside each station's protected contour. What the FCC does have an interest in is getting every part of the country served by as many local signals as possible. They are not even concerned with the fact that too many signals makes it hard for licensees to make money and provide decent programming. But that is, simply, how the system was set up.

The FCC has no interest in DXing. They have very little interest in any listening outside each station's protected contour. What the FCC does have an interest in is getting every part of the country served by as many local signals as possible. They are not even concerned with the fact that too many signals makes it hard for licensees to make money and provide decent programming. But that is, simply, how the system was set up.
Good insight, I never really thought about it this way. However, too often these "local" signals add very little or nothing in terms of local content. Case in point being religious "satellators" and other entirely automated stations with little to no local presence.

Was driving through Lancaster the other day, and 92.5 still sounded like someone put a sock over my speakers. There was noticeably less treble response and seemingly less stereo separation on 92.5 than 98.5 even right near the city square (where 92.5 originates). It would not have been quite as noticeable if I didn't have the two stations as back-to-back presets, though.

My car radio is pretty selective so I didn't have much of an issue getting 92.7 until I was about a half mile away from 92.5's transmitting antenna. A lot of distant stations cut out at this point anyways because of buildings blocking the signal. I could hear what I thought was a little bleed-over from 92.5 but it was very faint.

I'm sure 92.5 gets better in-building penetration in Downtown Lancaster for the at-work crowd, but 98.5 sounded WAY better in the car.

WHVR 1280/95.3 is now going by "New (Nu?) 95.3", so is semi-simulcast sister WGET 1320/93.7.
No matter what they call it, I call it terrible radio. They had chance to bring a good CHR to the area but choose to goto this hoogady boogady crap. Perhaps more of a good adult CHR like the late great Fun101.3 to go against Warm 103 would have been a better idea. Good luck Fm 97, Hot 106.7 wanna be.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom