• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

NABCO Ratings! But Jack-FM performance still unknown.

After eight years as a Nielsen non-subscriber, with the May '22 PPMs we finally see NABCO again. But we frustratingly still don't know how Jack-FM was faring before 103.9's mid-April flip to Country, since the months preceding May are listed as N/A. I'd wager it was performing significantly better than the .7 share Country 103.9 has in its first full book, which ties it with co-owned Soft AC WMNI. I would have expected the Blitz to be at least somewhat higher than the low-3's it's been in since March. (For some reason the prior 2 months are populated for 99.7, but not the others.) Its May 3.3 is only about half the share of competitor QFM-96, which has been on the rise. As I said before, I sure hope NABCO will consider "Jack is Back!" for 99.7 (but I'm not holding my breath...).

We're still missing seeing ratings for WCVO, WNKO and a few others. But more than those, once again I really would've liked to know how Jack-FM was doing before 103.9's flip. Country 103.9's May share puts it in the company of challenged-coverage Joy and Throwback. Will be interesting to see how that builds.

Last edited:
Yep noticed this today with the release of June PPMs I honestly missed this past month so thanks for posting. I am not ready to write off Country 103.9 yet, it takes time to build. I would expect it is hampering WCOL a little and I am suspecting Johnboy and co that's their goal not necessarily to be #1 in Columbus (with its Class A signal).

Personally, I would have flipped 99.7 to Country or moved Jack-FM there.

WMNI and 95.1/WJKR HD-2 will no doubt be bottom feeders down there with Joy, WBNS-AM etc.

WNKO likely does not care about the Columbus rankings - they like WCLT have been solid focused on the Newark Ohio community

WCVO used to subscribe I guess they figured it was not worth the cost anymore? A lot of CCMs in the states have in recent years stop paying for the book. I only know a few stations in very major markets that still subscribe.

Yep noticed this today with the release of June PPMs I honestly missed this past month so thanks for posting. I am not ready to write off Country 103.9 yet, it takes time to build. I would expect it is hampering WCOL a little and I am suspecting Johnboy and co that's their goal not necessarily to be #1 in Columbus (with its Class A signal).

Personally, I would have flipped 99.7 to Country or moved Jack-FM there.

WMNI and 95.1/WJKR HD-2 will no doubt be bottom feeders down there with Joy, WBNS-AM etc.

WNKO likely does not care about the Columbus rankings - they like WCLT have been solid focused on the Newark Ohio community

WCVO used to subscribe I guess they figured it was not worth the cost anymore? A lot of CCMs in the states have in recent years stop paying for the book. I only know a few stations in very major markets that still subscribe.
With today's news of Loper and Randi, sounds like your plan may be in progress.

With today's news of Loper and Randi, sounds like your plan may be in progress.

Which one? Country or Jack-FM? While I'd love to see them bring back Jack on 99.7, I doubt that's in the works. I could see a signal swap, though, with 99.7 going Country and the Blitz moving to 103.9, sans Loper & Randi. Of course there could be other tweak or format change possibilities, including simply a new Blitz morning show.

Mr. Crenshaw is a highly skilled country radio programmer, but I would hate to see 99.7 The Blitz bite the bullet.

I'm unsure of the purpose of letting only the morning show go if the plan is to dump the entire brand. Seems to me the entire airstaff would be fired the day of the format change if that were the plan.

Mr. Crenshaw is a highly skilled country radio programmer, but I would hate to see 99.7 The Blitz bite the bullet.

I'm unsure of the purpose of letting only the morning show go if the plan is to dump the entire brand. Seems to me the entire airstaff would be fired the day of the format change if that were the plan.
Could also be a reposition. 90s and 2000s rock is quickly becoming an actual format... Columbus has a wide open hole for it. Alt 105.7 skews very alternative and doesn't play enough mainstream music for mass appeal. The Blitz plays too many classic rock songs that are immediate tune outs for Gen X or millennials. I'm 44 and can't stand classic rock mixed with 90s-2000s rock. Instant tune out.

Which one? Country or Jack-FM? While I'd love to see them bring back Jack on 99.7, I doubt that's in the works. I could see a signal swap, though, with 99.7 going Country and the Blitz moving to 103.9, sans Loper & Randi. Of course there could be other tweak or format change possibilities, including simply a new Blitz morning show.
Country on 99.7.

Could also be a reposition. 90s and 2000s rock is quickly becoming an actual format... Columbus has a wide open hole for it. Alt 105.7 skews very alternative and doesn't play enough mainstream music for mass appeal. The Blitz plays too many classic rock songs that are immediate tune outs for Gen X or millennials. I'm 44 and can't stand classic rock mixed with 90s-2000s rock. Instant tune out.

I moved from the Columbus area to Atlanta earlier this year. Here, there is one "classic hits" station which reminds me of a mixture of Q-FM and Kool 101.7, and one "Rock" station that plays heavier rock from the 1970's to today. Columbus is far too saturated with classic rock, rock and classic hits to be missing two decades of music (90's and 2000's.) You'd think one of the many in Columbus would pick up on that.

Loper and Randi had mentioned that additional information re their departure would be forthcoming. AFAIK, none are available yet. Maybe release of those details are being held until the upcoming changes at 99.7, if any?

WRKZ's ratings look darn good lately. I'm happy to see that.
WRKZ's down almost a point in January, but that's still good enough for 6th place in 6+ share -- and a tenth of a point ahead of WLVQ. Speaking of NABCO, 103.9 jumped from 1.1 to 2.0 -- easily their highest since flipping to country, despite WCOL remaining a solid #1 in the market.

Going back to the title of this thread, I'd still love to know how 103.9 Jack-FM was performing. 🙏 At 4.2, WODC's dull version of Adult Hits is almost back to the lackluster 4.0 it had dropped to before the Christmas bump. Despite this, it's slightly outperforming WSNY. Of course it's possible target demos tell a different story.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom