• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

MY SXM Beta

I started trying this the other day on a couple of channels I listen to at work. So far, I sorta like it. It allows you customize the streams in up to three ways at once. For example, on the Bridge you can tweak by deeper or shallower playlist, early or later 70s, and more folky or more rocky.
And flip the 70s on 7 to the deepest playlist option and the playlist gets REALLY deep -- songs I never knew were even hits!
In general, I like having the options -- though I have seen a glitch or two. Sometimes it says it has no customized material available and switches me back to the live stream. Kind of odd.

JohnnyElectron said:
Too bad this feature will never be on the satellite service where you could get a deep playlist on 70's on 7 like they had 10 years ago.

I'm guessing SiriusXM has seen the future and it isn't satellite delivery. The streams on my phone, plugged into the car, sound better than the PNP unit (and hold the signal better).
The good thing about this new service is that it appeals to people who are too busy to pre-program their lives and want a passive listening experience but want to add their own customized flavor. For those people, it's better than Pandora and the others because the channels they like already exist and can be easily tweaked, rather than designed from scratch.

The update for the Droid app with the My SXM options came yesterday. Love it. I now have the customized channels available to me in the car and everywhere I go.

OldNumber7 said:
JohnnyElectron said:
Too bad this feature will never be on the satellite service where you could get a deep playlist on 70's on 7 like they had 10 years ago.

I'm guessing SiriusXM has seen the future and it isn't satellite delivery. The streams on my phone, plugged into the car, sound better than the PNP unit (and hold the signal better).
The good thing about this new service is that it appeals to people who are too busy to pre-program their lives and want a passive listening experience but want to add their own customized flavor. For those people, it's better than Pandora and the others because the channels they like already exist and can be easily tweaked, rather than designed from scratch.

Pandora does have prebuilt channels. I have actually found them to be pretty decent.

This sounds like a cool feature, but when you are totally blind as I am and you use a screen reader, you're lucky to get the regular stream to play.

I wonder if they'll have a MY SXM app for the iPad? And yes, why can't SXM make a vision-impaired radio for the masses? A vision-impared friend of mine uses the SkyFi2 and he can navigate that quite well with the numbered keys on the bottom. For a short period of time, Best Buy had a vision-impaired radio called the "Narrator" with HD radio, large buttons and voice prompts, but I can't find one anywhere for purchase.

I had an old Skyfi, but unfortunately it died. Man I loved that thing. I also had a Myfi, and I learned how to do some stuff on that by memorizing some of the menu controls, like mainly to record stuff. Basically they need to fix their internet stream because it's horrible. Thankfully they haven't taken down the basic player. I'm playing it now and it's working fine, even though when I went to it there's still the warning that says it won't be available after today. I hope they'll listen to my e-mails and facebook posts. I can log in and get the new player to play, but if I want to flip to another channel all I can do is keep clicking the next channel button until I find the one I'm looking for, which is a pain in the butt. The old player has an edit box where you can type in the number. There is an edit box on the new one that comes up, but apparently it doesn't do the channels. Stuff needs to be labeled. I wonder if there's anyone here who is XM staff, like the people who can actually do something. All the staff I've talked to were very nice and trying to be as helpful as they could be, but unfortunately they couldn't do anything aboutit and there's no way to contact the engineering department directly. Epic fail, guys.

JohnnyElectron said:
I wonder if they'll have a MY SXM app for the iPad?

The current iPhone/iPad app will be updated to include the My SXM feature in the not-too-distant future. Don't know if it came out on Android first because SXM uses Android software on its IP radios or because Google Play doesn't have the approval process. However, there should be a forthcoming update that will have the "My" feature available.

Well they've discontinued the old player officially *cry*. The good news is that the edit box to type in your channel number does pop up after I restarted my computer, and it's still there. Maybe it was just my Jaws or internet being a brat.

One thing I like about the new player is that it gives you that warning sound so you know when it's about to shut down so you can click to keep listening. I'm not sure if the old player would display something to let you know it was about to shut off or not, but I have a talk show that I listen to and I don't sit at the computer to listen to it, as I have wireless headsets. The old player had a bad habit of just stopping on me, and it never did it during the commercial break, lol.

Wait you can get the web stream to work with Jaws and IE?
I was under the impression that the internet stream wasn't accessible. Would it work under IE8 and Windows XP? or Firefox latest version?
I thought the new player was HTML5 only. I dont think Jaws support HTML5, nor does IE8.

The Insignia radio only speaks certain things. I have one. I'd like to see how well it recieves in PA ware I can actually get HD signals
For example, a blind person can't access the menus as it doesn't speak them.
One thing that is nice about the Insignia is that the headphone output is flat audio, so if you wish to record airchecks from this device, you can do so knowing it wont be equalized during recording.
Also the FM antenna connection is coax too which works great for me since I have an external antenna in PA that i can plug into this unit or my Yamaha T-85, or perhaps I'll get a splitter.
I haven't tried AM on this tuner yet. I'll have to do that in PA. Since the AM is a 3.5MM i could plug a terk advantage loop into the tuner.

I've been hearing about this on an old XM Radio in a car that I have been borrowing. How much is it extra if you already have XM? I can't seem to find this out anywhere.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom