• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

My KYW-HD/WIP-FM-HD2 experience yesterday

pab

Leading Participant
Driving back from Western New York I found myself in a classic Schuylkill backup coming towards the Vine Street Expressway. Wanting to check on road conditions I did the natural thing: I tuned to 1060.

Let me just say that this was the first long trip I've taken since installing a new HD-compatible radio in my car, and my first time really using the tuner at all. (I mainly plug in my iPod when driving.) I went with this model because once sales and discounts at Crutchfield were factored in this one with HD and Pandora support (which I have no interest in at all) was cheaper than the next model down without it.

I had played with HD an hour south of Buffalo two nights before and was considerably underwhelmed. I was most notably disturbed by WLKK (the FM simulcast of WBEN 930) where there was a noticeable "echo" effect when the digital signal kicked in or out. Since the town I was driving through (Great Valley) is on the fringe of reception for the digital signal the transitions were frequent and annoying. Once I hit the Southern Tier Expressway and was homeward bound, I went iPod all the way.

Now, sitting in the World's Longest Parking Lot masquerading as an Interstate waiting to see if the hassle of 676 would be worse than the hassle of the Walt Whitman construction, I had my first real taste of KYW-HD. I was very pleasantly surprised. The sound quality of AM HD has been advertised as "FM-like" but I found it better than some FM's I've heard in my time. The transition was absolutely seamless with no echo or pre-echo; I guess CBS can afford better engineers than Entercom when it comes to things like programming their analog delays. And the digital signal was nice and strong...

...until we started moving.

Hitting the 676 turn-off the digital signal blanked out and the radio switched back to AM analog. Once again there was no echo effect but the sudden significant loss of fidelity was very jarring. A few car lengths later it came back. Then it dropped out again. Then came back. Every time I got near an underpass (not just under but near) the digital signal would wink out and I'd find myself back in analog. And this was in Center City with an amplified antenna designed for picking up weak signals! The experiment was a failure. AM HD was not for me.

Remembering that KYW was simulcast on 94.1-HD2 I flipped over to the FM side and dialed up WIP. I never noticed any transition at all as HD kicked in and I was listening to Sports in digital. My experiences with WLKK/WBEN in Western NY may have been annoying because of the echo effect but there was a HUGE difference in sound quality between the digital audio and the analog. I noticed no improvement at all with WIP-FM. If the fidelity was the only thing 94.1-HD had going for it I'd have suggested CBS save the money and stick with analog.

Once I realized I had the digital signal and the Multichannel icon lit up, I nudged over to HD2. KYW started up almost right away. However, I was shocked to hear the end of the sports report that I flipped in the middle of. I flicked back and forth between the bands to try and gauge how far behind the FM version was. 94.1 HD2 was anywhere from 30-45 seconds "later" than KYW on AM, digital or not. True, most people are going to tune once and sit there (in theory) and not jump back and forth so this delay shouldn't be that bad under normal conditions. Still, getting my Traffic and Transit on the Threes instead of the Twos was a bit annoying. And thank goodness I no longer tried to synchronize my watch to the top of the hour tone.

94.1 HD2 stayed with me, solid and clear, all the way across the Ben Franklin, down to 42 and 55. It was as I was approaching Clayton (exit 43 off of 55) that I got my first momentary loss of signal, and by the time I crossed US 40 into Vineland the signal was completely unlistenable. I thought about going back over to AM but just switched back to the iPod. (Which was nice, since no station around here plays "Change Reaction" any more, and that was the first song that came up in the shuffle when I switched back.)

So, with my limited experiment (one station, two frequencies) here's what I think about HD Radio:

* AM digital sound quality is AMAZING. It's light years ahead of normal AM. However, signals are too unreliable to consistently get a signal. I can't imagine what it would have been like trying to get an HD signal inside a building instead of in my car.

* FM digital sound quality CAN be amazing (my experience in Buffalo showed that) but CBS can't be bothered to tweak the processing. Or for all I know it might still be tweaked for the music that was on WYSP-HD last year and they never thought to adjust it.

* FM digital signals are still too weak to properly cover the market. I can get WIP-FM nearly all the way to the shore (WIBG-FM starts stepping on them in Cape May County but most modern tuners can handle that) but I can't get their digital signal more than 30 miles south of the Ben Franklin. There's no point in programming multichannel if about a quarter of your market can't get your -2, -3, -4 signals.

In the end, the belief I had about digital broadcasting before I had a chance to experiment with it properly still stands: unless we have a concerted effort to convert radio to digital the same way we did analog television, which includes massive signal increases and an abandonment of even the concept of IBOC, it's pointless.

Issue is, there's not enough room on our bands to put frequencies (mainly FM)

We need a "forth" band - whether it be shortwave or longwave.

HD is a great technology, granted you live within 20 miles of the transmitter, which is untrue for most of this market, being as spread out as it is.

If you take a market such as Harrisburg, where they live right outside the city or in it, it's flawless.

However, radio evolves. I'm sure HD tech's will change, because AM-HD's are such good quality, if that can be an AM replacement/improvement, people won't be so iffy to put music on AM!

I don't know much to talk about this, but some HD's work better, take 104.5-HD2 for example, in an average modern HD tuner, it comes in down in Marcus Hook / Glen Mills.

Granted, KYW-HD (94.1) is one of the better HD signals in Philly.

HD was just born (commercially) - look at how much AM and FM evolved, it'll make it's way over to be it's own band in the next 30 years, as in it still operates the same, but tuners set it as a seperate band, similar to how XM is, maybe it could be better like "200.10" - "200.20" just to give it soemthing unique to XM. Because if it labeled as 1, 2, 3 etc then it'd be silly.

HD-1's would operate still as is, HD-1 when available and FM-ST/FM when not.

So, i'd say give HD radio time.

RadioPhillyFan said:
HD-1's would operate still as is, HD-1 when available and FM-ST/FM when not.

However, using the iBiquity system, analog AM cannot be in AM stereo if the station is running AM-band digital. Of course, if there were no analog AM--just AM-band digital (permitting the digital signal to be at the station's full power instead of just a small fraction of full power AND permitting digital stereo)--I suppose it wouldn't much matter that there could be no AM stereo. Giving up analog AM would mean that the digital "sidebands" could be moved into the main channel; there would be no analog channel to stay clear of. But there would also be no analog fall-back to fill in when the digital signal dropped out. I have no idea what this might mean to AM-band stations' digital coverage. For sure, though, loss of analog AM would be fatal to the roughly 1 billion analog AM radios still in the hands of the US public and I am sure most AM listeners would not be happy with that at all!

Have there ever been any studies on how many people ONLY own portable AM-only radios? I haven't seen a new AM only portable radio since the early 80's myself. Nearly every portable battery operated radio today has FM.

I ask because the main concern with keeping AM alive (other than the fact that owners would scream bloody murder if we took away their stations without compensation) is for emergency situations where people without power would need battery operated radios.

As more and more companies move the current news and talk fare onto AM and the more fringe music formats onto FM-HD, I think we could eventually transition AM over to only digital over the course of a decade. But can the signals be made reliable enough?

Pab Sungenis said:
Have there ever been any studies on how many people ONLY own portable AM-only radios? I haven't seen a new AM only portable radio since the early 80's myself. Nearly every portable battery operated radio today has FM.

I ask because the main concern with keeping AM alive (other than the fact that owners would scream bloody murder if we took away their stations without compensation) is for emergency situations where people without power would need battery operated radios.

As more and more companies move the current news and talk fare onto AM and the more fringe music formats onto FM-HD, I think we could eventually transition AM over to only digital over the course of a decade. But can the signals be made reliable enough?

I own an iRiver MP3 from 04' with AM/FM

I too have an HD radio in my car and have similar findings.

WIP-FM is one of the best HD signals in Philly, nearly mirroring the station's 54dBu contour. The downside is WIP-FM reaches considerably farther. I can get WIP-FM's HD signal east to the Burlington/Ocean County border but I can take WIP-FM's analog signal CLEARLY all the way to the Atlantic Ocean on LBI.

RadioPhillyFan said:
I own an iRiver MP3 from 04' with AM/FM

That's my point: AM and FM. Are there any AM only radios being manufactured at all? I'm willing to bet that there are more FM-only receivers in existence right now than AM-only.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom