• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Musical genres…becoming irrelevant?

You're going to have to explain the reference to the few young'uns here, along with elaboration on why that 1966-67 NBC series didn't run more than one season, how imaginative the concept was, and whether any series produced since 1990 is pure crap that can't hold a candle to it.

Boomer answers: Injustice, very, none. ("Injustice" being the answer for EVERY series of the Boomer years.)
Because as with most topics, it devolves into the recollected history of:_____________. The classic Irwin Allen TV show "The Time Tunnel" was a campy, over-acted prime time show of the 60's where current-time characters went back in time to right the wrongs of the past.

Is there a master list of songs and their classifications, I was wondering if there's a song (or a few songs) with the most number of genre classifications.

The most unusual song radio play situation I remember is when:
"Sea of Love" was played on beautiful music KMBR FM and on rock music KYYS FM

The TT TV show is on MeTV Sundays at 3AM CT (I videotape the whole MeTV lineup starting with Batman at 9:30PM Saturday on a T-160, recording LiS of course)

Kirk Bayne

“At work” has all kinds of definitions.
A prime example of this is when I had to use Uber four times when my car was being repaired. Each driver was at "work," and they were all listening to music or sports talk that seemed appropriate, at least to me, for their age, gender and ethnicity. BTW, none of this was terrestrial radio, it was either Sirius XM or Spotify.

The definition of "at work" has certainly changed since Covid and the huge numbers of people working from home. Yes, it includes people driving for Uber, or people working from home in the tech sector, or people constantly on Zoom calls. But for the purposes of radio station branding, it used to mean a station that had a playlist of soft rock that could be played to provide a pleasant environment without too much intrusion or distraction of employees.

It was meant to be played in small workplaces who didn't have a subscription to Muzak (or whatever that subscription service is called now).
In northern California where I am now, that station is KOIT, which is extremely popular. When I used to live in L.A., it was KOST. They have a playlist that crosses different genres but adheres mostly to ballads, or soft R and B, or pop, or country pop. There is some gold added in. Artists like Ed Sheeran, John Legend, Adele, Taylor Swift, etc.

Haven't heard Bad Bunny so far on KOIT ! But I have heard Sam Smith. 😃

I didn't have a chance to look at the November ratings, but KOIT usually does very well. I'm not sure about KOST, which faces more competition in L.A.

I didn't have a chance to look at the November ratings, but KOIT usually does very well. I'm not sure about KOST, which faces more competition in L.A.
iHeart's "Wall of Women" of KIIS, KBIG and KOST are all in the top 5 in the last PPM book. Each is in the top 5 in billing, also.

I actually remember watching that
Even though "Time Tunnel" only lasted one season, it did air in reruns for quite a few years. For that matter, twenty years ago, Fox commissioned a pilot for a reboot, which they included with the DVD release of the original series. Shame that Fox never picked it up, because it was much better than the original series.

Back
Top Bottom