• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Music over the Christmas holiday

So they went wall-to-wall with it? The last time that I can recall our Jack going wall-to-wall with anything was on "one-hit wonder day," when they played a number of one-hit wonders. Of course, not all of them were "true" one-hit wonders, but that is a topic for another day.

Only from some time in the afternoon Christmas eve to some time Christmas morning.

IHeartRadio's Mix 99.9 is still all-Christmas. "Santa Claus Is Coming to Town" doesn't work for me after Christmas. "Winter Wonderland" or non-specific Christmas songs would go over much better.
WMAG, also iHeart, is also all-Christmas. I didn't bother to check on Wednesday but I wish I had because I could have heard more Christmas music earlier in the day. I made the discovery at 6:30 on the way home. I didn't investigate Delilah but I was home before she started. I was able to listen to more Christmas music yesterday.

This is similar to what we did at most stations where I worked (the ones that had music formats, anyway). At one, we went wall-to-wall with it on what we now know as "black Friday," but just for that day. Otherwise, we programmed similarly to what you suggest, and went wall-to-wall with it (again, in the case of that one station) about a week before the big day. I would be okay with SOME Christmas tuneage after the holiday, but apparently I am in a minority there. (But then again, I don't want to hear it between Halloween and Thanksgiving, either. We still have days with temps in the 70s and 80s that time of year! I may even still be doing yardwork during that time!)
You work retail? You have my sympathies. I remember being subjected to a lot of instrumental Christmas music back when I worked at Wal-Mart.

Back when I could stand to listen to top 40 radio, I liked the week between Christmas and New Year's because that was when the station near me at the time did its year-end-review, playing back the year's biggest hits, in preparation for the countdowns of the year's biggest hits. I always enjoyed that week!

Yeah, in retail since 1997. Christmas is busy, especially the week leading up to the holiday and especially the Saturday before!! But it's the returns that are a pain in the ---. Year end reviews are fun. Kind of like, old school style programming. You know, the type I enjoy.....and debated about. Nice to hear from you again Firepoint! It's been awhile. How's Hippie radio coming along?

Nice to hear from you again Firepoint! It's been awhile. How's Hippie radio coming along?
Yeah, they're still there. http://www.hippieradio945.com The other classic hits station in town, 93.3 classic hits, went all-Christmas from Thanksgiving eve right up through Christmas day, and maybe into the morning after (prompting discussion of a possible format change, over on Radio Insight). But that appears not to be the case, as they have returned to normal programming, and have even added another translator, although it is in an area where I can't receive them.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom