• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Music of college radio stations

Why must some college stations insist on playing music so "independent" that 5 people have heard of them? What is the point of playing music that is really obscure that people won't stay tuned in for a long time because none of the songs or artists are familiar?

College radio used to be where you'd hear tomorrow's hits today. It exposed new music that was catching on with the public. R.E.M. got its start on college radio. But when commercial "alternative" stations signed on, college radio decided to go even more obscure.

If college radio wants to go obscure, why not play dance music! Read Tony's post a few threads down for an explanation about why this makes sense.

I just wrote a mini-thesis on this very topic over on the Boston radio board not long ago.

http://boards.radio-info.com/smf/index.php?topic=41119.msg1497434#msg1497434

To answer your question, the reason "college radio" (intentionally put in quotes) doesn't usually play dance music is because "college radio" is mostly about ceding total authority to the individual DJ. And most "college radio" station DJ's aren't dance music fans. I don't know exactly why, but my hunch is that if they were, they'd probably be out at the clubs playing the dance music there - not sequestered in a dimly-lit, cramped basement radio studio. ;D

You also need to look at who is programming college radio stations. A lot of the advisors or station managers have been around for years and as a result the Triple A format is put in place.

Also what is the mission of the station? A lot of these stations are student organizations and there is limited direction to them. At WBZC, the student embrace the format and the students that go to the school love it too.

WPRK-FM 91.5 is known as an Indie Rock station, but there are many Dance, Electro, & Hip Hop DJ's with their own shows, like me. I don't really like to play much obscure stuff unless it's worth listening to once or twice.

Sure, I've been getting told that I sound too mainstream, but I'm really the bridge between mainstream & underground, breaking new music at the same time that I'm playing those well-known old school that you don't hear on other Orlando radio stations. With my radio show, I have probably found a missing hybrid format that I think Orlando (and perhaps the nation) is ready for.

On a side note, there will still be Hip Hop on College radio as long as CMJ keeps updating their Hip Hop Top 20. Did CMJ drop RPM Top 20? I can't seem to find a new chart online anymore.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom