• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

multiband webcast proceessing suggestions

Still sounds fantastic Robert! Looks like you'll be in my top 5 great sounding streams. Even the craziest audiophile (oops, that might be me) should be happy with your current settings. I can't stay long right now, as I am in between late weekend projects.

Robert,that's why i suggested zenith.I toyed around with it and decided it was fine for web. keeps in mind women don't care for aggressive audio and audio with too much treble..sounding good.!

Ahh yes, "women" and "processing". :D

R

erwin33 said:
Robert Bass said:
Ahh yes, "women" and "processing". :D

R

I'm listening to that Live 365 player. Do you have a direct URL for the stream for playing it in Winamp or other player? Much easier.

We're not allowed to give out direct stream links as per Live365's TOS. :(

R

oldiesstation said:
any particular reason you went with 365?

Because they cover all the music royalty fees to ASCAP, BMI, SESAC and SX with the broadcast package I am currently on.

R

OK so I'm curious about something regarding Breakaway. Specifically the terms Range, Power and Speed. Are these basically the same thing as saying Threshold, Ratio and Attack / Release? If Speed is Attack / Release, is it the same times for both Attack & Release, or is one faster than the other?

R

Robert Bass said:
OK so I'm curious about something regarding Breakaway. Specifically the terms Range, Power and Speed. Are these basically the same thing as saying Threshold, Ratio and Attack / Release? If Speed is Attack / Release, is it the same times for both Attack & Release, or is one faster than the other?

R

With Breakaway, there's A LOT going on under the hood. The basic controls on the front are "ganged" to multiple control points internally, and the degree and actual points vary by preset design. It's like the Orban more/less mode, except Breakaway hides even more of the finer tuning and leaves that up to the preset designers. There has actually been a lot of requests for the developer (Leif) to release a new version exposing these goodies, but he's gone almost totally radio-silent on the product since joining forces with Omnia.

Generally, the speed control will affect release times more than attack. The "Power" control is the ratios, and the "Range" control affects thresholds.

Robert I listened for a bit yesterday and it sounds fantastic. First credit would be to your source material. It sounded good even when you had nothing but level protection running in Breakaway.

Yesterday what I heard sounded very nice listening in my car where I have 4 infinity 6.5's, a pair of 2 inch dome tweeters, and a pair of infinity 12's. The low end seemed to roll off very sharp but it may have just been the music playing at the time. I have noticed that with some of the music from the period. Most people listening probably wouldn't hear that at all with typical speakers. I wouldn't change anything unless your still tweaking things.

Michael,

Thanks for the additional feedback.

There were a couple of things I did try yesterday. At one point I switched from speakers to headphones and retested a few presets. But that was for a very short time and I put it right back on Zenith. Then sometime later in the day, I did make an adjustment to the range setting, to see if I could bring out the song fade outs just a little more. I don't remember exactly what time it was I made that adjustment. Maybe after 5:00 PM Central? At any rate, I haven't tweaked anything since.

I can't tell for sure, but it seems like after I made that adjustment, the bass presence might have gotten a little stronger. But I didn't really check it that closely before and after. So if you get a chance to listen again today, feel free to let me know what you think. I don't plan on touching any settings today, as I've got some additional holiday music prep I need to do. :)

Thanks again!

R

I was listening around 3:45 yesterday. I will check today and see what I hear.

I also listened some from my desk with a pair of cheap earbuds. I have a couple in my drawer I will listen with both. 1 pair was overly bright so they were cast away to a drawer as my back up pair.

Love the sound of your stream Robert, but it seems like every time I tune in, I am hearing the same songs repeated. The one thing I loved about listening to Rewound Radio's no repeat 60's weekend, this past Thanksgiving weekend, was just that, no repeat, and tons of variety. As I understand it, Allan set in on randomize, and songs you wouldn't think would seg(ue) together, did, and in a great way. Now you've got this fantasticly processed stream. All you need is the variety to take it to the next level, as in a deep playlist. May Joel Whitburn (http://www.recordresearch.com) has a book just for the 80's. That may be a simple way of adding to your playlist.

Brian,

Thanks for the feedback!

Right now I have about 470 songs from the 80s in active rotation. I think altering my clocks to accommodate the Christmas songs has affected the turnover of the 80s songs to some degree. Then on the Christmas category, I'm only up to 65 songs at the moment. So those are probably overplaying a bit! As you can guess, that category really needs my primary attention at the moment. I'll scramble the 80s category before I run tomorrow's schedule and we'll see if that helps.

R

VoiceOfReason said:
The basic controls on the front are "ganged" to multiple control points internally, and the degree and actual points vary by preset design.
The controls actually are connected to algorithms that decide how it should effect what's under the hood, and part of that is because of presets being able to "skew" the way signal flows through it, usually to get something special happening. When at all possible, the presets are "centered" where they should be, so there's as little unexpected change in the way those controls work, but the meta-control algorithms don't completely remove that possibility, and it was left "askew" a bit in some cases because it worked well with the idea of the preset.

Internally, just the Breakaway core of the current public stuff, there's 135 adjustments in a given preset. With the new Breakaway core and Undo alone, it's well over three hundred. That's not the kind of thing that most people want to "get to know" very intimately.

I don't see Breakaway getting much more controls to it, because that's part of its success. :) I would definitely expect some kind of control over treble though. Like the low-end adjustment; mostly a combination of EQ gain/movement, and threshold adjustments (but there's a few tricks in the bass that are unique to the meta-control itself, and NOT part of the core, oooo mysteries :p ).

Hmmmm, I thought the roll-off adjustment under settings was for the treble? I have that on 11 right now. Is that actually affecting the bass?

R

That is a treble roll off. If you're talking about the bandwidth setting.

That would mean you're restricting your high end to 11kHz.

No, my settings are:

HPF 45 Hz
Bandwidth Full
Roll-off 11
Phase Linear

It was suggested in this thread earlier that Roll-off be set to 11 to eliminate "ringing highs", or something like that.

R

Robert Bass said:
It was suggested in this thread earlier that Roll-off be set to 11 to eliminate "ringing highs", or something like that.
Only if bandwith restrictions are used, with full bandwith there is no roll-off. Suggestion: when streaming 128 MP3 bandwith restrictions could be 40Hz and 18KHz, roll-off 5

remember, the low string on only a 4-string bass guitar is 40 Hz. that might be higher than most people want; 5-string bass players included. ;)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom