• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

MPB outage

Saw on the Taylor newsletter that MPB was off the air the other day and is still experiencing problems with the radio and TV transmissions. Their website didn't go into detail. What happened? The Taylor story almost made it seem like the entire network of transmitters failed.

the .2 HD channel and .3 create channel were both off. the crappy old SD .1 channel was still on the air but the on screen programming was gone and it was mapping to its actual RF channel which is channel 20 in Jackson. I wish they would put "world" or something else on the .1 sd channel instead of simulcasting .2 Its just a waste of bandwith. Nobody is going to watch the same thing in SD when it is in HD on the other channel.

flytrap said:
the .2 HD channel and .3 create channel were both off. the crappy old SD .1 channel was still on the air but the on screen programming was gone and it was mapping to its actual RF channel which is channel 20 in Jackson. I wish they would put "world" or something else on the .1 sd channel instead of simulcasting .2 Its just a waste of bandwith. Nobody is going to watch the same thing in SD when it is in HD on the other channel.

My understanding of the SD duplicate is for cable headends who can't or won't crop or properly present the HD feed. Of course the .1 SD version sometimes had the wrong aspect ratio anyway… Aside from MPB I don't know of any other stations left doing a duplicate SD feed like that.

I think its pointless to have the SD feed. Its wasting bandwith that could go over to the other feeds. If its for people that are still watching analog televisions. the converter box will show the HD feed in the letterbox format so you won't have to worry about any of the picture getting cut off unless someone is using the zoom feature on the box. The SD feed is also sending out in letterbox too, so it won't make any difference whether you watch 29.1 or 29.2 on an analog TV, they will look the same on the screen. On a widescreen TV MPB .1 will look windowboxed with all four sides with black bars.
If the sides of the picture are getting cut off its the cable companies fault.

a pet peeve of mine is the way most televison is shot these days. Because of all these people on cable and who don't have their sets adjusted right or use the zoom button, its spoiling it for us HD viewers. The local stations and networks put their on screen graphics and screen clutter too high up and in the center of the screen so they won't get cut off on cable and those idiot zoom-button people. They also cheat us out of a true widescreen picture by backing the camera up and framing everyone is in the middle of the frame. A group, or two shot makes everyone too far away from the camera and nobody on the sides. my rant for the day

Both converter boxes I own scale HD down fine and so does every ATSC TV I've used.

They could make better use of the SD subchannel.

It could be too expensive to add new programming to the unused subchannel. from what I understand the PBS programming is not cheap. I guess they could have more beg-a-thons to raise money for quality programming that they only air when begging for money for more for quality programming.

flytrap said:
It could be too expensive to add new programming to the unused subchannel. from what I understand the PBS programming is not cheap. I guess they could have more beg-a-thons to raise money for quality programming that they only air when begging for money for more for quality programming.

You're forgetting the cheaper and better alternative, which is shutting off that useless subchannel and giving the HD and Create channels more bits so they don't look like blocky messes.

A few Sundays ago, they powered down to test their back-up power supply. Both Failed. The complete power failure caused a server that feeds the signal to the relays>transmitters, corrupted. At least that's how it was explained to me.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom