• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Movin' In

KSIQ from Brawley has been approved to start construction at Campo .... 96.1 FM with strong South Bay signals. Map at SDRadio.net.

Chris,
Are they going to keep the CHR format (challenging 933) or will switch to a Spanish format as has been suggested?

As I recall, after I first mentioned this when it first appeared as an application Tony Driskil at KSIQ replied saying Cherry Creek would sell the station after the CP was granted. Now the question is, who do you think will buy it ?

RadioStarOne said:
Can you say Clear Channel?

They are at maximum station limits int he MSA. That is why they had to dispose of the Mexican LMA's.

How will that signal reach from Campo into the coastal areas? They must have a heck of a mountain top location for the antenna.

Are they planning on moving the existing format to another frequency in the imperial valley? It would be ashamed to see them lose their heritage top 40.

JON BRUCE said:
As I recall, after I first mentioned this when it first appeared as an application Tony Driskil at KSIQ replied saying Cherry Creek would sell the station after the CP was granted. Now the question is, who do you think will buy it ?

My guess is that it will go to someone who has an interest in (yet another) spanish broadcast format, since the vast majority of the new signal (looking at the radio-locator Map posted by Chris at sdradio.net) will go over Mexico, and the most Latino populated areas of San Diego county. Again, just a guess.

So, for those of us who could care less about Spanish formats, I suspect the only thing this new station will do is cause an irritant for those who want to listen to Kyxy96.5 . And, I'm a bit suprised that CBS has not yet filed a complaint (because of the closeness of the channel). I mean, if I'm reading the map correctly, you'll have a real hard time hearing Kyxy in the South Bay when this new station starts.

Garrett said:
So, for those of us who could care less about Spanish formats, I suspect the only thing this new station will do is cause an irritant for those who want to listen to Kyxy96.5 . And, I'm a bit suprised that CBS has not yet filed a complaint (because of the closeness of the channel). I mean, if I'm reading the map correctly, you'll have a real hard time hearing Kyxy in the South Bay when this new station starts.

Remember that the radiolocator maps are very exaggerated. The usable signal is slightly inside the innermost red curve, meaning that the 64 dbu signal will barely cover 1/3 of SD County Hispanics. This is a very marginal signal no matter what. With 2 FMs in Spanish in SD, and about a dozen in Tijuana, one with a bad signal is not going to go anywhere.

Well, what CAN they do with it?
Could they use it to sell someone who want to get more coverage east of the El Cajon? Maybe someone who wants to get better sports coverage?

David, what good is this signal to anyone (once it is sold)?

Garrett said:
Well, what CAN they do with it?
Could they use it to sell someone who want to get more coverage east of the El Cajon? Maybe someone who wants to get better sports coverage?

David, what good is this signal to anyone (once it is sold)?

They can sell it for good bucks to someone willing to pay same. Any signal into San Diego county is worth more than any signal into El Centro.

Not if it in an area where nobody can hear it. How many people live in Campo? I only see this station valuable in combination with another frequency.

Garrett said:
Not if it in an area where nobody can hear it. How many people live in Campo? I only see this station valuable in combination with another frequency.

They aren't doing the move to serve Campo.

DavidEduardo said:

Remember that the radiolocator maps are very exaggerated. The usable signal is slightly inside the innermost red curve, meaning that the 64 dbu signal will barely cover 1/3 of SD County Hispanics. This is a very marginal signal no matter what.
Ok, so now I'm real confused. David says "it's a marginal singal" and yet you (RadeoEngineer) are saying "they didn't do it to serve Campo." Then, who is going to want to buy this frequency? All the work and expense of moving a Top 40 station to a marginal signal (that isn't even built yet) just to sell it (and no Hispanic broadcaster would be interested, if David is correct). So, I'm sorry if this is annoying, but can somebody please explain this to me because it just does not make sense, I do not understand what the point is?

Garrett said:
Ok, so now I'm real confused.
Dr. Laura, she's on from noon to 3 p.m. (Pacific).
Garrett said:
David says "it's a marginal singal" and yet you (RadeoEngineer) are saying "they didn't do it to serve Campo." Then, who is going to want to buy this frequency?
Just like real estate. He (or she) who has the most money, wins!

Garrett said:
All the work and expense of moving a Top 40 station to a marginal signal (that isn't even built yet) just to sell it (and no Hispanic broadcaster would be interested, if David is correct). So, I'm sorry if this is annoying, but can somebody please explain this to me because it just does not make sense, I do not understand what the point is?
The point is G-Dawg is that your letting the facts get in the way of the story. KSIQ has applied to move to Campo. That's the facts. Anything else is pure speculation and that's why you are confused. Heck, it could be the first punk country outlet in the US.

Garrett said:
Ok, so now I'm real confused. David says "it's a marginal singal" and yet you (RadeoEngineer) are saying "they didn't do it to serve Campo." Then, who is going to want to buy this frequency? All the work and expense of moving a Top 40 station to a marginal signal (that isn't even built yet) just to sell it (and no Hispanic broadcaster would be interested, if David is correct). So, I'm sorry if this is annoying, but can somebody please explain this to me because it just does not make sense, I do not understand what the point is?

It's a bad signal, and does not cover most of the market. However, as has been said, it is better than being a Calexico or El Centro or Brawley station.

Media Hack Chris | SDR said:
Garrett said:
Ok, so now I'm real confused.
Dr. Laura, she's on from noon to 3 p.m. (Pacific).
Garrett said:
David says "it's a marginal singal" and yet you (RadeoEngineer) are saying "they didn't do it to serve Campo." Then, who is going to want to buy this frequency?
Just like real estate. He (or she) who has the most money, wins!

Garrett said:
All the work and expense of moving a Top 40 station to a marginal signal (that isn't even built yet) just to sell it (and no Hispanic broadcaster would be interested, if David is correct). So, I'm sorry if this is annoying, but can somebody please explain this to me because it just does not make sense, I do not understand what the point is?
The point is G-Dawg is that your letting the facts get in the way of the story. KSIQ has applied to move to Campo. That's the facts. Anything else is pure speculation and that's why you are confused. Heck, it could be the first punk country outlet in the US.

You know? I think that's the best answer I've heard!

To throw in my two cence, I would think KSIQ once in the SD market should get sold to BCA, for they could have coverage in the east county with 1090, and 105.7 should be use full for some other format, like oldies.

Boy does it get old to mention oldies alot. ;D

Not to get off topic, but Metran5, why do you keep throwing the whole "oldies BCA" thing into every topic? This thread has nothing to do with oldies.

You are starting to remind me of a certain person who kept on talking about KPOP and Standards.

Hmmmm.....

Garrett said:
Not to get off topic, but Metran5, why do you keep throwing the whole "oldies BCA" thing into every topic? This thread has nothing to do with oldies.

You are starting to remind me of a certain person who kept on talking about KPOP and Standards.

Hmmmm.....

OK Garret I wont get off topic or mention oldies, and again Im not that other guy who I know your taking about.

And while Im on topic which station came first Q96 or Q106.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom