• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

More Cuts Coming To CC/Boston?

Thousands of radio engineers turned into ditch-diggers; thousands of sales execs asked to fill potholes; thousands of managers turned into steel welders. Obama says our infrastructure needs fixin', so get your tool chest ready! College? Who needs that when there are solid yellow lines to paint and asphalt to spread?

Will said:
I would enjoy doing that type of work. Nothing wrong with cracking jokes with the boys and putting some hair on your ass.

Nope. But the best 'unintended consequence' of this shift to 'make-work' employment will be that college enrollment will plummet. I'm all for that. Loans for college? Who will be able to get them? And even if you can get a loan, who will want to? So you can come out the other side digging ditches? The colleges and universities are bastions of unfettered Liberalism. Like you would enjoy doing that type of work, I would enjoy seeing colleges and universities in a crisis because the value of going has evaporated.

ChrisNH, I'm sure it's a few degrees colder up there but have a coco. You're off track (or is that road).

That's just it. I can't. I'd rather tackle the Southeast Expressway during morning drive.

Good. At this point, anything would be more interesting than what I currently hear on Kiss 108 (keeping in mind that I sleep through morning shows.)

They're a heritage station in one of America's elite cities, and they're a legitimate liner card station at this point.

ChrisNH said:
The colleges and universities are bastions of unfettered Liberalism. Like you would enjoy doing that type of work, I would enjoy seeing colleges and universities in a crisis because the value of going has evaporated.

So called "conservatives" say colleges are full of dreaded "liberals"... and so is the media.

So let me get this straight. The most educated (colleges) and most informed (media) institutions are liberal.

You'd think they wouldn't want folks to notice this...

ChrisNH said:
Will said:
I would enjoy doing that type of work. Nothing wrong with cracking jokes with the boys and putting some hair on your ass.

Nope. But the best 'unintended consequence' of this shift to 'make-work' employment will be that college enrollment will plummet. I'm all for that. Loans for college? Who will be able to get them? And even if you can get a loan, who will want to? So you can come out the other side digging ditches? The colleges and universities are bastions of unfettered Liberalism. Like you would enjoy doing that type of work, I would enjoy seeing colleges and universities in a crisis because the value of going has evaporated.

"Make work"? I bet that those people who fell into the drink while attempting to traverse a bridge in Minneapolis wished that more "make work" in the form of bridge maintenance had been in the budget of the State on MN or City of Minneapolis. But oh no, taxes had to be kept low.

ChrisNH is absolutely correct. One-year (or less) trade schools for better paying/most secure jobs, is the way to go. No such thing as a plumber or electrician out of work. Even a handyman with just BASIC carpentry skills (here's a hammer & here's a nail) is getting work at $45 per hour. College not needed for those nor radio. Presently, about 30% of college grads are out of work, or are working at near-minimum-wage jobs, and the other near 70% don't know if they'll be working next year. Those who ARE working as DJ's in Boston radio number in the low hundreds out of a population of nearly 4,000,000 people. If you want to be on the air, be a plumber and do a weekend gig on air. - Colleges must get new attitudes, too, and run their establishments in a financial way that doesn't require students to get loans that rival home mortgages.

Love the anti-college sentiment in this thread.

I'm proud not to have attended college, and no child of mine will ever attend a private college on my dime.

I bet that those people who fell into the drink while attempting to traverse a bridge in Minneapolis wished that more "make work" in the form of bridge maintenance had been in the budget of the State on MN or City of Minneapolis. But oh no, taxes had to be kept low.

This is B.S. The bridge was undergoing maintenance when it collapsed, and the investigation showed that the cause of the disaster was faulty design when it was originally built in the 1960s.

Hey Everyone!
Boston Radio has been trashed and this is the point of this blog. The truth is college educated people with money and no interest in boadcasting did it. Nothing against education, but having worked in schools for a short time it became real clear "educators" love lofty thinkers and God help you if you have a gift like a vocational skill. Theory and o te ability to perform is what counts.We ought to take a serious look at how many kids drop out of school or who do marginal and have their lives derailed from grades 8 - 12.

Colleges and their supporters and lobbiest have taken this country down a wrong path. We used to be a country that made great products and sold them, now we are a "service industry" nation with no product to sell, no factorys so no income coming in...and we a getting poorer. Take a look who has money in this country and who has robbed this country blind . They are all college educated. Education is a good thing if you take it and think for yourself, but American colleges have been a hot bed of uselessness. During World War II the US was the bread basket of the world. We sure are not that now. Hell we can't even make our own equipment for our soldiers. Now how sad is that. I am with whoever said they want to see the decline of colleges. I hope most of them go bankrupt and shock American's back into reality. College are not liberal institutions, but places where people go to get dummified. So much talent in this country gets wasted

JIBGUY said:
ChrisNH is absolutely correct. One-year (or less) trade schools for better paying/most secure jobs, is the way to go. No such thing as a plumber or electrician out of work. Even a handyman with just BASIC carpentry skills (here's a hammer & here's a nail) is getting work at $45 per hour. College not needed for those nor radio. Presently, about 30% of college grads are out of work, or are working at near-minimum-wage jobs, and the other near 70% don't know if they'll be working next year. Those who ARE working as DJ's in Boston radio number in the low hundreds out of a population of nearly 4,000,000 people. If you want to be on the air, be a plumber and do a weekend gig on air. - Colleges must get new attitudes, too, and run their establishments in a financial way that doesn't require students to get loans that rival home mortgages.

This is crap...There's plenty of plumbers and electrians out of work right now. Who's got money to spend on bathroom renovations, house additions or home power upgrades in this economy?! You're out of your mind if you think that every trades person out there is steady working...

caprinegirl said:
Hey Everyone!
Boston Radio has been trashed and this is the point of this blog. The truth is college educated people with money and no interest in boadcasting did it. Nothing against education, but having worked in schools for a short time it became real clear "educators" love lofty thinkers and God help you if you have a gift like a vocational skill. Theory and o te ability to perform is what counts.We ought to take a serious look at how many kids drop out of school or who do marginal and have their lives derailed from grades 8 - 12.

Colleges and their supporters and lobbiest have taken this country down a wrong path. We used to be a country that made great products and sold them, now we are a "service industry" nation with no product to sell, no factorys so no income coming in...and we a getting poorer. Take a look who has money in this country and who has robbed this country blind . They are all college educated. Education is a good thing if you take it and think for yourself, but American colleges have been a hot bed of uselessness. During World War II the US was the bread basket of the world. We sure are not that now. Hell we can't even make our own equipment for our soldiers. Now how sad is that. I am with whoever said they want to see the decline of colleges. I hope most of them go bankrupt and shock American's back into reality. College are not liberal institutions, but places where people go to get dummified. So much talent in this country gets wasted

You worked in the school system for a period of time? :eek: Then I pray to God you were one of the lunch ladies and not an "educator" that doesn't know how to spell the word "factories". ::)

Just the other night while channel surfing I happened to stumble upon the show "Are You Smarter Than A 5th Grader"... the contestant (she had a college GPA of 3.5) could not spell the word "kindergarten" correctly. ???

And they wonder why this country is going to hell in a handbasket. Good grief. ::)

Good point. The country is going to hell because people can't spell "kindergarten."
That's why Clear Channel's going to lay off a thousand people too.
Damn you "kindergarten."

The bottom line is Radio is a business and like many businesses today, their profits are being squeezed. People listen to their IPOD and Sat. and Internet Radio so advertising dollars are shrinking up.

I work in the printing industry and have seen the new technology squeeze companies right out of business. It's a sad fact of life but a true fact that progress causes change and change results in us losing people and things we are used to.

It doesn't matter whether you have a college degree or not...it depends on where your are, how valuable you are and how solid your company is.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom