• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Monique and the Man and Jack

B

Bob_Hudson

The North County Times reports Jack FM's Monique in the Morning pulled a 2.0 in the ratings while the signals former morning team of Jeff n Jer is number one in mornings at their new home. Yeah that Tracy guy at KFMB is a friggin' genius.

Bob, consider Jeff and Jer left Jack with about 6 million in the bank: that's less payroll out. The new team is at one million a year -- so that's five million "savings".

Monique is very talented -- at first I thought she was an odd fit with da Man. It's good, however most listenrs in the market either want music or infotainment.

So ... less money out may mean more $$$ for the till.

Media Hack Chris | SDR said:
Bob, consider Jeff and Jer left Jack with about 6 million in the bank: that's less payroll out. The new team is at one million a year -- so that's five million "savings".

Monique is very talented -- at first I thought she was an odd fit with da Man. It's good, however most listenrs in the market either want music or infotainment.

So ... less money out may mean more $$$ for the till.

Jeff and Jer made more than they were paid and it's hard to imagine the once might KUFF-MUB EFF EMM has maintained anything even close to what they had with J&J onboard. I think KFMB rolled the dice and lost.

Sorry Chris, I have to go with Bob on this one. M and the M may cost less but with only a 2 to show for it, it might be $ 1 Million too muh to justify it.

And how many more times will the advetisers go back to the well, if KFMB can not give better proof that people are listening in the morning. Jeff and Jer vs. a 2.0 Jack? That's a morning massacre, that's what that is...

does anyone here have an accurate revenue projection for KFMB and KMYI for this year?

See Monday's (30 Oct) media bytes

Does anyone (ad buyers) buy 25-54, or are they seeking a more targeted audience?

I think Jack is doing a good job music wise -- and morning wise. Star's life had some legs left in it, however Tracy Johnson took a chance. Sure those numbers are makin' them number one -- but when I find myself stayin' with Jack a lot more. Not an endorsement, just 100.7 is a preset still on my FM car.

As for ads ... I'll ask the usual suspects. :eek:

Media Hack Chris | SDR said:
I think Jack is doing a good job music wise -- and morning wise. Star's life had some legs left in it, however Tracy Johnson took a chance. Sure those numbers are makin' them number one -- but when I find myself stayin' with Jack a lot more. Not an endorsement, just 100.7 is a preset still on my FM car.

As for ads ... I'll ask the usual suspects. :eek:

i'd like it better if they'd can the man: every radio station now thinks they have to surround the star with a cast of lackies.

agree am radio gets too many supporting wanna bees who have to become potty mouths...just play the music :'(

Bob_Hudson said:
i'd like it better if they'd can the man: every radio station now thinks they have to surround the star with a cast of lackies.

Agreed. I don't understand where this came from, but it seems like most talk shows have lackies yukking it up in the background. Did Howard Stern cause this to become popular? Most lackies are tiresome, but some are so bad that I have to change the channel. Stern is probably a rare example where lackies add to the show, but it's only because his lackies are prone to get yelled at and beat up by him on occasion.

Jacmac said:
Bob_Hudson said:

Agreed. I don't understand where this came from, but it seems like most talk shows have lackies yukking it up in the background. Did Howard Stern cause this to become popular? Most lackies are tiresome, but some are so bad that I have to change the channel. Stern is probably a rare example where lackies add to the show, but it's only because his lackies are prone to get yelled at and beat up by him on occasion.

Only Stern can do what he does, but everyone else is trying to copy him. Stern plays the role of the hip, cool guy who lets all the nerds, geek, freaks and other outcasts come play with him as long as they understand that he is THE MAN and that they must cheerfully put up with all of the noogies, insults and other abuses he will lay on them for the amusement of himself and the listeners. The lackies are all court jesters and he's the king and in return for their subservience he will invite naked women into the studio for their amusement.

With Monique and the Man, the Man brings nothing to the table and really anytime he or that other woman on the program say something, it's only taking away from airtime that would better be allocated to Monique, who actually does have something worthwhile to say.

Awe, c'mon, I like Gregg. He's was "Helper Boy" number 2 with Jeff and Jer at B100.

But you are right, everybody is worrying about Jeff and Jer, instead of just doing a good show. DSC figured that out a long time ago. Howard Stern raised the stakes there for a while...

Hey Bob Hudson, are you the same Bob who worked with Dean Goss at KCBQ? You guys talked with Bob Hope one night from China, right?

HubertJSmithers said:
Hey Bob Hudson, are you the same Bob who worked with Dean Goss at KCBQ? You guys talked with Bob Hope one night from China, right?

Yep - I still have that on cassette tape. He was in Peking right after China was opened up to US visitors. He had canceled an appearance at the Del Mar Fair to go to China so our premise was that we would call and chastise him for dumping us in favor of China.

In those days you'd have the operator place a call to China and then they'd call you back when it went through. Well, we never imagined we'd get through to his hotel room and if we did, we'd talk to a personal assistant (or "lackey" as I believe they were known).

So the operator calls back sometime later, "I have Mr. Hope's hotel on the line." And bang, there's Old Ski Nose himself on the line. I was not prepared for that and got so nervous I think my voice started to quiver. I did manage to come up with some line that made him laugh and I was proud of that because when I'd been a morning jock in Great Falls, Montana I had a GM who was fond of reminding me that "Even Bob Hope is not funny all the time." Well maybe he wasn't, but for that one moment he thought I was funny.

And you HubertJSmithers must have been one of the ten people who listened to KCBQ in those waning days of Top 40 when it was mismanaged and mis-programmed by some of the biggest names in the business. I did have fun though, especially working nights with the late Perry Allen (Goss found out from a newspaper column that he was being replaced by Perry).

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom