• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Monday Morning DX

cyberdad

Administrator
Staff member
As was suggested in my "Looking for Help" thread a couple of weeks ago, let's take a look at something that was fairly popular for those of us who don't mind dating ourselves by talking about how it was "back in the day" when numerous AM stations shut down during the pre-dawn hours of Monday morning for transmitter maintenance.

Obviously, with regular signals off the air....both local and out-of-town....there were DX opportunities aplenty. So the question here for those who made it a point to see what they could discover with blocking signals removed is, "what sticks out in your mind as some of your most memorable DX experiences when blocking signals were removed?"

For myself, I didn't spend all that much time perusing temporarily blank spots on the dial. In the mid-late 1960s, most of them here in the Chicago area were just that....blank We had four "1-A" clears that had all of North America to themselves. So if WMAQ or WGN went off, you didn't hear much of anything on 670 or 720, etc. Although it did make snagging WNBC or WOR a much easier task (unless they were also off). Although in the case of WMAQ, a couple of times for me having them out of the way did open the door for KNBR.

A few others....

WIND (560) shutting down typically resulted in a very weak KWTO a few times. I repeatedly tried for WHBQ and WFIL, but never heard either.

WTMJ (620) seems to have been on all night more often than not. But when they went missing, it was usually CKCK. Once when WTMJ was off for a few seconds for a pattern change, WJDX was there with an ID (although that was one day at sunset....not a Monday morning).

WCFL (1000) being off on Monday morning was pretty much a guarantee that XEOY would be in.

As for out of town signals....

When WSM (650) went off on early Mondays, as often as not they'd leave the carrier on and broadcast a tone. I kept checking 650 to see if they'd also shut off the carrier. If they did, I always tried for KORL, but never heard them.

My most common experience with the out of town signals, as I posted a few weeks ago, had to do with WCKY and WLAC. If they were both off, I could get a clean and very listenable KOMA. KOMA was already a regular, but tough to listen to for entertainment because of splatter from 1510 and 1530.

As for me being out of town, myself....

At college in southeast Iowa, I often tried 920 after midnight for WOKY. They sent a minor lobe "spike" to the southwest on their 1kw night pattern. Eventually, I heard them several times. Usually on top, if not alone. Normally CKCY from Sault Ste. Marie was the blocking pestt. But they were usually off on Monday mornings.

KELI (1430) from Tulsa was another frequent visitor on Monday mornings with both WIL (St. Louis) and WIRE (Indianapolis) usually off.

But KXLF (1370) from Montana probably the most unique regular. Monday mornings it was typically there and alone. Any other day during the hours of darkness, it was lost in the slop.

Finally, my most unusual experience during those days in Iowa was hearing WVON (1450) one Monday morning. 250 watts at 200 miles. But not my catch...

I had been sitting on a train next to an African-American student who was telling me he knew you could pick up all manner of distant stations at night. "But for some reason not WVON'. It was a slice of home for him and his roommate that they both missed. So I explained to him what the problem was, and told him it was probably a lost cause. I forgot about it for a few weeks. Then one Monday morning, I got a knock on my door. It was him and his roommate who wanted me to come down to their room and hear something. The something, of course, was WVON. Fading, fighting, but on top most of the time. I was really impressed and I told him so. Not only with the catch, but with their keeping after it.

Shows how much I knew. Two of the most determined, if non-hobbyist, DX-ers ever!

Last edited:
Well I often heard KNBR on Monday mornings, but not just because of WMAQ signing off. Other stations needed to signoff also such as WPTF on 680 in Raleigh which usually came in most nights.
I also heard XEOY after WCFL signed off and if I remember correctly there was a 1030 in Mexico City which came in when WBZ was off. I once heard KGBS when KDKA was off. I believe they were one of the stations that was allowed to sign on during the hours that the 1A was off. When WIND was off I heard Denver.
Also WBBM being off on Monday mornings before sunrise allowed WABC to come in perfectly clear without any splatter.

One catch near JFK Airport in Queens NYC which stands out in memory was from some long-ago-forgotten date. It was a DX test on 1150, situated as such by the National Radio Club.

By us in the East and Northeast, was filled with regional stations on 1150. But on MM's most of them went off. Such absences usually left a faint but somewhat steady station from Mexico as 1150's lone occupant.

But on that lone overnight/MM, the DX Test from KIIS Los Angeles was very present, very vivid, and very QSL-able. They even switched down from the initial 5000 watts to 1000 watts and were *still* there, albeit fainter, even amid the traditionally increased static and interference.

Great topic, Cyberdad! I sense my dental braces starting to return!

Well I often heard KNBR on Monday mornings, but not just because of WMAQ signing off. Other stations needed to signoff also such as WPTF on 680 in Raleigh which usually came in most nights.
...... When WIND was off I heard Denver.

I did hear KLZ a couple of times, but usually it was KWTO. I might have heard more of it, but if I was trying for Memphis, I was nulling Denver! As for WPTF, I don't remember it, but it may have been in the mix I was trying to null when I was trying to zero in on KNBR. I did hear CJOB once not far away in Wisconsin...with a pretty good signal, in fact. But I don't remember it at home.

Best to catch WFIL on Day pattern. I heard it a couple of years ago driving in the Northeast part of Michigan on I-75. It was about 30 minutes before their pattern change and I was able to hear it until they went to Night pattern. Usually once I get out of range for WRDT, which is 500 watts DA-D/13.9 watts Non-DA Night from two sites, I usually hear WIND. Heard CJKL Kirkland Lake quite a few times probably on Day pattern. Rarely heard WIND at Night in SE MI until they rebuilt the array and went from the Top Loaded towers to higher monopoles nearby. I could have heard WIND in the Daytime by nulling WQTE...WRDT except that most of my radios had image problems with the 100 mV/m signal of WKMF 1470.

Last edited:
Probably my greatest Monday morning catch from Miami Beach considering their then quarter kilowatt signal on a graveyard channel back in the day
would have been W240DF's master station, which is actually on the same tower and has almost the exact same coverage area as its new translator.
I would be quite happy if I could mount an FM translator on an AM tower and could squeeze approximately the same coverage area out of it.
中国无线电网!

Last edited:
Probably my greatest Monday morning catch from Miami Beach considering their then quarter kilowatt signal on a graveyard channel back in the day
would have been W240DF's master station, which is actually on the same tower and has almost the exact same coverage area as its new translator.
I would be quite happy if I could mount an FM translator on an AM tower and could squeeze approximately the same coverage area out of it.
中国无线电网!

A little long, but here are my Monday morning best catches from Cleveland, OH, on each of the 1-A clears.

640 Just KFI
650 KORL Honolulu
660 KFAR Fairbanks and the Australian whose calls I forget
670 Radio Tricolor, Cali
700 Guatemala City
720 Porlamar, Venezuela and Jamaica
750 Tentative on KFQD Anchorage
760 KGU Honolulu
770 Radiomar Lima, Peru.
780 AFRTS Ramey AFB, Puerto Rico. 50 watts
820 HJED Cali
830 KIKI Honolulu 250 watts
840 Brasil
870 LRA Buenos Aires
880 Radio Inconfidencia Belo Horizonte, Brasil.
890 Lima, Peru (actually 895)
1020 KPOP LA
1030 Buenos Aires, Argentina
1040 KHVH Honolulu
1100 KFAX Sam Framcoscp
1120 Guatemala City, 250 watts into a longwire antenna.
1160 Quito, Ecuador
1180 XEFR Mexico City 250 watts.
1200 Radio Tiempo, Caracas
1210 Tentative on Honolulu

Impressive list, David. I'm especially intrigued with the Hawaiians. KIKI, of course. But KHVH at 5kw isn't exactly chopped liver. KZOO (1210) was 1kw in the mid-60s, and I remember them as having a better signal in the city (Honolulu) than some of their more powerful peers. 100% of their programming was in Japanese....which I believe is still the case.

Sidebar question: Did you ever hear YVLL. 670 from Venezuela? I used to hear them all the time on 31 meters shortwave.

Impressive list, David. I'm especially intrigued with the Hawaiians. KIKI, of course. But KHVH at 5kw isn't exactly chopped liver. KZOO (1210) was 1kw in the mid-60s, and I remember them as having a better signal in the city (Honolulu) than some of their more powerful peers. Most, if not all, of their programming was in Japanese....which I believe is still the case.

Sidebar question: Did you ever hear YVLL. 670 from Venezuela? I used to hear them all the time on 31 meters shortwave.

Last edited:
Impressive list, David. I'm especially intrigued with the Hawaiians. KIKI, of course. But KHVH at 5kw isn't exactly chopped liver. KZOO (1210) was 1kw in the mid-60s, and I remember them as having a better signal in the city (Honolulu) than some of their more powerful peers. Most, if not all, of their programming was in Japanese....which I believe is still the case.

YVLL was a regular catch in auroral conditions. There were cases where Venezuelans were heard over local Cleveland stations during severe auroral conditions. Best was on 1100, 25 miles from WKYC (WTAM) around 7 to 8 PM... a 10 kw Venezuelan totally readable just by nulling the local with a box loop.

830 KIKI Honolulu 250 watts

Should have added Salta, Argentina on 830 at its regular 5 AM EST sign-on. 5 kw from the foothills of the Andes.

Do STL's just below and just above the ten-meter ham band count?

It's interesting to remember how many frequencies were totally clear in the US and Canada on Monday mornings from the late 50's through the mid-60's. And there were few 24 hour stations in most of Mexico due to the severe labor laws. Cuba was not yet practicing RF warfare, and Colombia and Venezuela had very few allnighters.

DXer club magazines showed how relatively simple it was to get "exotic" international DX.

1090 was clear after Seattle signed off at 3 AM. Most everyone who chased international DX in the Northeast and Midwest logged 10 kw CX28, Radio El Imparcial, from Montevideo, Uruguay. After Denver and Seattle cleared 950, it was the sign on of 100 kw LR3, Radio Belgrano, in Buenos Aires... a station famous as it was where Evita Duarte, later Evita Perón, launched her radio career. 730, clear of Mexico and Vancouver, could be counted on for occasional reception of CB73 in Chile at 10 kw. 50 kw CB114, also in Chile, was heard signing on with Monterrey and Sacramento silent and before WRVA came back. 1220 without the Canadians and XEB allowed the Brazilian station in frequently, and 1000 with no Seattle and in the few times XEOY was silent yielded a 10 kw in New Zealand (Rotorura) that was heard by the better East Coast and Midwestern DXers.

Most of us were using conventional Hallicrafters, Hammarlund and National gear, with the most common receiver being the Hammarlund HQ-180. No digital readouts, so tuning skills and the ability to extrapolate frequencies was important.

Do STL's just below and just above the ten-meter ham band count?

I thought those were remote pickup (RPU) channels?

I was never "close" to one so I am curious if they were also used as STLs... would be odd if they were narrow band AM!

Last edited:
One MM tidbit back in the JFK Airport days was during some incredible Auroral conditions the morning of 12-27-82.
There was Spanish on just about every GY channel. I thought I caught an IDable slogan from one on 1400 -- 'Roddio Leebertahhlll' -- and brought a tape of it into work, where one show host was from Puerto Rico and might be able to help.

Reyes helped, alright. He re-interpreted the station as 'Radio Universal', and even caught the ID for me -- HJAS, from Barranquilla Colombia.

I guess since it was listed in some WRTH as being 3000 watts, it wasn't technically a US GY 'catch'. Every US station was 1000 watts. But it was nice to hear something other than a 'W' on a GY .... never mind another country .... let alone another continent.

Bring back MM silent periods! Mandate them! :)

Last edited:
I wish. But the noise level would ruin the best distant DX unless you have 15 acres out in the country. Just once, can all of the 880s in the west go off the air on a Monday morning? Can I just hear 'WCBS news time' over my radio's speakers before I die? But with Red Eye Radio, Coast to Coast AM, 24/7 sports feeds, probably won't happen. Just wasting power and $$$.

I wish. But the noise level would ruin the best distant DX unless you have 15 acres out in the country. Just once, can all of the 880s in the west go off the air on a Monday morning? Can I just hear 'WCBS news time' over my radio's speakers before I die? But with Red Eye Radio, Coast to Coast AM, 24/7 sports feeds, probably won't happen. Just wasting power and $$$.

WCBS and many other east coast stations were regular catches on the west coast in the 60s. In fact I heard WCBS in California as late as 1980. Too bad those wonderful MWDX conditions of the past are gone forever.

Last edited:
One MM tidbit back in the JFK Airport days was during some incredible Auroral conditions the morning of 12-27-82.
There was Spanish on just about every GY channel.

You reminded me of the elections in Venezuela in, IIRC, early 1964. They were on a Sunday, and counting was in classic manual style so stations... all stations I believe... were on the air well past midnight into Monday morning. Conditions were very early season auroral with many US stations in the nearer skywave propagation areas just blacked out. I got over 40 new Venezuelans, and could have logged more if there had been time. Maybe the best was a 1 kw station on 1370 from Valle de Pascua in Venezuela's deep interior region and it was totally dominant on the channel.

I thought those were...RPU channels

Whatever they were used for, I remember that radio people and radio geeks with general coverage receivers used to listen to frequencies in the 26 MHz region in lieu of the main transmitter, particularly Class IVs/Cs at Night. Usually what I heard was that they would listen to High School sporting events broadcast on such AMs that used these for remote broadcast. Also the 160-174 MHz region remotes were listened to a lot. I remember one station used 170.15 and another one in the 161-162 MHz region. I also heard of stations "accidentally" leaving these on the air for radio people and geeks. Obviously it was against the rules. Some of you can probably quote the section and paragraph that forbids such "broadcasts". I bet there was some "Carlinesque" salty language overheard also after the broadcast left the air, when they genuinely thought it was turned off after the PBP. I think I related a story of things like this going out over the air from the FM exciter after sign off, and the phone line had been accidentally left potted up to inadvertently broadcast calls from, uh, let's call them obsessed DJ "fans", calling the station after hours.

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom