• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

mistakes left in!

satech said:
Beatles - "Day Tripper". A lot of Beatles songs have mistakes which they left in, but this one is particularly bad. In one verse, John sings "one-day driver" instead of "Sunday driver". The guitar and tambourine drop out for about a second at around 1:50 -- allegedly an intentional edit to mask a noise on the master tape. And then towards the end John also sang an extra "yeah", breaking the alteration between "day tripper" and "day tripper, yeah". They tried to fix it in editing by fading out the vocals during that part, but you can still hear it. The stereo mix also has some instruments switch between the left and right channels during the song.
If I am reading the following correctly, then what you mentioned here should have been corrected before it was added to the 1 CD:

http://oldies.about.com/od/thebeatlessongs/a/daytripper.htm

That article says that Day Tripper/We Can Work It Out was the first UK double-sided hit (of the rock'n'roll era) where both sides went to number one. In the US, Elvis Presley's Hound Dog/Don't Be Cruel was number one for 11 weeks in 1956. A few months earlier, Heartbreak Hotel was number for one for eight weeks but I Was The One was listed as the B-side for only two of those weeks and didn't receive nearly as much airplay, so I'm saying Hound Dog/Don't Be Cruel was the first number-one "double-A-side" in the US. We now return you to your regularly scheduled "Mistakes" discussion."

This isn't technically a mistake; it's just a stupid lyric. Thin Lizzy's Jailbreak says "Tonight there's gonna be a jailbreak somewhere in this town."

I'm guessing that the "somewhere" might be the jail.

On one of thos budget LPs that would come out to capitalize on a recent trend, there is an LP by a "Tubby Chess" that has a version of "The Twist" on it. It was ripe for fooling parents into thinking they're getting the hit "The Twist" by Chubby Checker for their kids at a bargain price (because they don't really know the artists name). Anyway, as "Tubby" is singing the song, he audibly clears his throat inbetween words at one point. Being a record that would retail for well under what a regular LP would cost, they either (A) didn't want to re-do it as that would have eaten up more studio time, and thus more money, or (B) they couldn't have cared less.

The whole recording of "Put The Bone In" composed and performed by Terry Jacks was a mistake. It's poorly performed, with an off-key background choir and a tired sounding lead vocal by Terry. Proof of my contention is that if you turn up the volume at the very end of the record, you can hear Terry say, in a disappointed voice ... "Ah, no". Somebody (Terry?) must have found it so funny, that it became the B-side to his mega-hit reading of "Seasons In The Sun". The sad part of this story is that with "Seasons In The Sun" becoming one of the biggest hits of its year, and the only Terry Jacks solo recording to hit the big time, for most people, the only representation they have of Terry's own composing prowess is the lamentable "Put The Bone In", a record that in some circles is so bad, it's good.

The very beginning of Green Day's "Good Riddance (Time of Your Life)" has the guitarist immediately make a mistake, which leads to a hard to hear "F-word", and then into the song.

LARadioRewind said:
This isn't technically a mistake; it's just a stupid lyric. Thin Lizzy's Jailbreak says "Tonight there's gonna be a jailbreak somewhere in this town."

I'm guessing that the "somewhere" might be the jail.

How about "Big old jet airliner, don't carry me too far away. Big old jet airliner, 'cause it's here that I've got to stay."? Well, if you've got to stay there, DON'T GET ON THE PLANE!

The Beatles, "I'll Get You." In the bridge, John and Paul are singing, and one of them appears to say "make you mine" while the other says "change your mind." Since this was just a b-side, they apparently just let it go.

satech said:
Tom Wells said:
Bongo Rock by Preston Epps has a fairly clunky splice in it that's hard to miss once you've heard it.
The Beatles' "She Loves You" has several tape splices big enough to drive a truck through, including one where there's a very noticeable EQ change on the highs. The many remasterings and re-releases over the years have attempted to cover this up, with varying degrees of success.

Huh!
As I have and sorta know the song mostly from an original black Swan 45, at what point in time does the eq flip on these affected versions?

I had heard that the Five Satins' "In the Still of the Night" was recorded with the door to the studio left open (probably in the pre-air conditioning days), and that a truck drove by, which can supposedly be heard in the recording, but I have never heard it.

Chicago - "Wishing You Were Here". Tape stretch at the end of the second verse (just past 2 minute mark). Listen for the piano note that warbles.

crom said:
Chicago - "Wishing You Were Here". Tape stretch at the end of the second verse (just past 2 minute mark). Listen for the piano note that warbles.

Robert Knight's "Everlasting Love" and Percy Sledge's "When a Man Loves a Woman" both feature a trumpet that bleats out a flat note.

firepoint525 said:
If I am reading the following correctly, then what you mentioned here should have been corrected before it was added to the 1 CD:
Yes. On the Beatles "1" album they re-edited the songs and corrected a lot of the "mistakes", which is part of why I hate it. I'd rather hear the original versions, flaws and all!

That album was also the beginning of when they refused to reissue the early Beatles recordings (such as "Please Please Me") in stereo anymore, claiming that those songs were only ever intended to be heard in mono, and that the stereo versions were "unauthorized".

satech said:
firepoint525 said:
Yes. On the Beatles "1" album they re-edited the songs and corrected a lot of the "mistakes", which is part of why I hate it. I'd rather hear the original versions, flaws and all!

That album was also the beginning of when they refused to reissue the early Beatles recordings (such as "Please Please Me") in stereo anymore, claiming that those songs were only ever intended to be heard in mono, and that the stereo versions were "unauthorized".

Some long-winded clarification from a self-described Beatles nut...

The Beatles originally issued their entire catalog on CD in 1987. The first four U.K. albums were released in mono-only, as they decided that the early albums were intended to be heard in mono. They kinda do have a point. Please Please Me and most of With The Beatles were recorded on two track tape, with the vocals on one channel and the instruments on the other, which is why they probably sound better in mono. George Martin recorded it that way so he could combine the two tracks to make a better mono mix, not intending for it to be released in two track stereo, so he pushed for mono-only release of their first two albums on CD.

In late 1963, Abbey Road got a four track recorder, so starting with "I Want To Hold Your Hand" and going until the White Album sessions, this is what they used. Therefore, A Hard Day's Night and Beatles For Sale have perfectly fine original stereo mixes (actually, excellent, IMHO), though for some reason they were only available on CD in mono for several decades. Martin and the members of the band were adamant that the original albums be released on CD in the way they were originally presented, meaning no crazy remixing or re sequencing (though Martin did insist on cleaning up the crappy stereo mix of Rubber Soul, and he added a little reverb to Help!).

With the re-release of the CD catalog in 2009, EMI finally released the first four in stereo for the first time (aside from a Capitol Records box set that had both the original US albums in both stereo and mono released a few years earlier). And the Abbey Road engineers were very conservative about the mastering, using technological advancements and effects such as limiting only when absolutely necessary). And they did keep in the mistakes, as McCartney and Starr delightfully noticed in the initial playback of the new digital masters).

The 1 album came out in 2000. And the engineers did take some liberties with a few of the mixes, as had been done on various post-breakup compilations. Contrary to what you wrote, they actually did release stereo versions of some of the songs on this CD when possible, which showed a softening of their mono-only stance for earlier tracks. The preceding compilation, Yellow Submarine Songtrack has some very radical mixes, including "Eleanor Rigby" with the strings mixed in pure stereo for the first time. But these releases have nothing to do with the official album catalog (which includes the originally US-only release Magical Mystery Tour and the singles-only, odds-n'-ends Past Masters compilations, which are as faithful as possible to the original mixes).

And along with the 2009 catalog revamp is the Mono box set, but I've rambled enough already.

So, to sum it up, the whole mono idea goes back to the 80s. After griping from fans, EMI finally softened their stance, and over the years began releasing some of the songs in stereo. Now, the entire album catalog is in stereo, with a few exceptions for songs that exist only in mono ("She Loves You", "Love Me Do" and "P.S. I Love You"). But the original mono mixes of everything up to 1968 are now readily available for the purists, and I do recommend listening to a few of them, such as Revolver and Sgt. Pepper, which sound quite a bit different and actually have a bit more punch in their mono mixes.

A couple more:

The Rolling Stones, "Gimme Shelter." Merry Clayton is screaming along there towards the end, and at one point, it briefly becomes a squeal. But it apparently worked, so they left it in.

The Doobie Brothers, "Takin' It to the Streets." One of the few Michael McDonald songs that I actually like. On this one, the saxophone player briefly hits a sour note on the sax solo (also sort of a "squeal"), but it, too, worked, so they left it in.

"I Am the Walrus" by the Beatles was already mentioned, but I want to address a different part of the song. In this case, a mistake was taken out, but if you know where to listen, you can still hear it.

On Anthology 2 John Lennon has a false start on the line "yellow matter custard." He says "yellow matt-OOPS!"

On the American Rarities album (1980), the false start is lifted from the backing track, but the few extra seconds of that backing track remain.

In the final version, the one which ultimately went on to the Magical Mystery Tour soundtrack (and became the B-side of "Hello Goodbye"), both the false start AND those few extra seconds of backing track which originally contained the false start are gone. If those few extra seconds had never been there, maybe John's false start would not have been a false start after all.

firepoint525 said:
A couple more:

The Rolling Stones, "Gimme Shelter." Merry Clayton is screaming along there towards the end, and at one point, it briefly becomes a squeal. But it apparently worked, so they left it in.

The Doobie Brothers, "Takin' It to the Streets." One of the few Michael McDonald songs that I actually like. On this one, the saxophone player briefly hits a sour note on the sax solo (also sort of a "squeal"), but it, too, worked, so they left it in.

Merry's participation in this song led to a miscarriage.

Oh, "Turn it up" was an instruction to the recording engineer to turn up levels in Ronnie Van Zant's headphones at the beginning of Sweet Home Alabama.

On "Crimson and Clover" by Tommy James & the Shondells, there is an unintended key change near the beginning of the guitar solo on the album version of that one. I am told that it was corrected for later reissues, but I have not heard it if that is the case.

Too Much - Elvis Presley On Scotty Moore's lead break he get's 1 fret off for awhile before returning to the right key. Word has it that they left it in because it sounded like an augmented minor chord

Sorry, I Ran All The Way Home - Impalas Didn't the Uh Oh on the beginning line happen because of a noise outside of the studio?

True Love Ways - Buddy Holly Was this the song where during the tail off that the sound of a cricket (not the group) was heard?

Comments welcome

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom