• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Mexico Public Broadcasting

I know the Mexican states have it's own public broadcasting, but does Mexico has it's own Public Broadcasting for it's entire country such as BBC (UK), CBC/SRC (Canada), ABC/SBS (Australia), TVNZ/RNZ (New Zealand), RTVE (Spain) etc... Is Once TV (11 TV) is the closest thing to a national public broadcasting in Mexico?

e-dawg said:
I know the Mexican states have it's own public broadcasting, but does Mexico has it's own Public Broadcasting for it's entire country such as BBC (UK), CBC/SRC (Canada), ABC/SBS (Australia), TVNZ/RNZ (New Zealand), RTVE (Spain) etc... Is Once TV (11 TV) is the closest thing to a national public broadcasting in Mexico?

Mexico used to have public network Imevisión, which included XHDF/13, XHIMT/7, and XEIMT/22 in Mexico City, as well as a couple affiliates elsewhere in the country. They were sold off by the Mexican government in the early 1990s; XHDF and XHIMT became the basis of privately-owned TV Azteca. Canal 22 is still indirectly owned by the Mexican government as a cultural channel, but its availability outside Mexico City seems spotty.

Once TV would probably be the closest today, as it is owned by IPN (Instituto Politecnico Nacional, hence its call letters XEIPN), which itself is owned by SEP, a federal government institution.

Public television in Mexico generally falls to individual states, many of which have their own publicly-funded television and/or radio services. Veracruz, for one, has TV MÁS, based at XHGV/4 in Xalapa. These would be more akin to TVO or Télé-Québec than other public broadcasters.

e-dawg said:

Not all 31 states have radio or TV operations. This is a very individual state-by-state situation.

I'll recommend again Fred Cantú's website, which shows all the radio and TV outlets in Mexico: http://www.mexicoradiotv.com/

Also, the Mexican government operates IMER (Instituto Mexicano de la Radio) which has about 20 stations in the country, including a number of indigenous language facilities.

DavidEduardo said:
Also, the Mexican government operates IMER (Instituto Mexicano de la Radio) which has about 20 stations in the country, including a number of indigenous language facilities.

For many years IMER ran XERMX Radio Mexico Internacional, the country's international shortwave station. The service was shut down in 2004 as most of its transmitters were no longer in working order, and IMER decided it wasn't worth fixing them due to the demise in SW listening. The 10kw transmitters also were inadequate for decent worldwide coverage. Heard the station many times during its 35 year run, but reception was mediocre at best, even here in Texas.

I hate to bump an old thread, but this forum is so dead that I can probably offer the information you're looking for.

Tier I: IMER, IPN, SPR (formerly OPMA), UNAM, Canal 22

These are without a doubt the heavyweights of public broadcasting in Mexico.

IMER owns a boatload of Mexico City radio stations but the rest of its portfolio is really a hodgepodge—stations they received from other federal agencies, stations signed on in partnership with some states, etc. Thinking of IMER as the land of misfit toys in regards to its portfolio is pretty dead on.

IPN signed on the first public broadcaster in Latin America, and Canal Once is the largest public TV outlet by penetration. In fact in the 90s the IPN began building repeaters for Once TV/Canal Once to extend its network. (This led to some confusion in Tijuana when they built out channel 3 and flooded San Diego TVs with interference!)

SPR (formerly OPMA, "Mexican Public Broadcasting System") is another federal agency. It owns a network known as Una Voz con Todos (A Voice for All). Its transmitters (17 in operation, nine more to be built soon, a 27th possibly to be licensed after 2015) are real multiplexes: they carry Canal Once, Canal 22, their own network, an educational service, and UNAM's TV service. They've also jumpstarted national coverage of public broadcasters (which w

UNAM: Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México. Even I have trouble wrapping my head around the size and scope of UNAM. Has been dabbling in TV since 2000 or so, but its Mexico City station is low power and it owes almost all of its coverage to SPR transmitters.

Canal 22: Established 1993, formerly part of Imevisión in the 80s. When that was privatized a bunch of cultural actors got together and lobbied the government to set aside a station for cultural broadcasting. They did. Again, Canal 22 owes most of its national-level coverage to SPR.

Tier II: State networks, other universities, CDI

State networks are some of the most complicated operations in Mexico. They often are radio-TV operations with many transmitters (Sonora's Telemax has 59 of them, which is the highest) that are often at low power. Networks often don't get a lot of investment, either (some of them have budgets that would be in six figures in USD). They participate in program exchanges with the Tier I broadcasters which in turn extend their reach, through La Red México, A.C. They also produce and air local programs including newscasts.

There are also other university television and particularly radio stations. Universities are really active on radio, sometimes having entire networks of radio stations (such as the Universidad de Guadalajara), and some (including three in Durango, though not many nationally) have added TV to their scope.

CDI (Comisión Nacional para el Desarrollo de los Pueblos Indigenas): Broadcaster for indigenous areas, part of another federal agency. 20 AMs and 7 FMs with mostly local production, including programs not in Spanish.

Not all 31 states have radio or TV operations. This is a very individual state-by-state situation.

I'll recommend again Fred Cantú's website, which shows all the radio and TV outlets in Mexico: http://www.mexicoradiotv.com/

Unfortunately, the link has gone dead and the website has expired.

That web site has expired.

Yes, Fred Cantú decided to no longer dedicate the time and effort needed to sustain the site. He says that a new operator may bring the site back soon.

That web site has crashed!

The link you have listed leads me to a "web site under construction" page. Sorry, but that link's dead.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom