• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Melissa Block to Leave ATC

The difference being they're not actually ADDING new people, but rather re-allocating existing staff.

Also who did they cut among support staff? I missed that announcement.

There is not always a direct linkage between layoffs and additions. Sometimes these efforts are on-going. NPR offered a bunch of buyouts, throughout the organization, at the end of 2013. They laid off a more staffers with some restructuring in 2014. Now, apparently, they have room in the budget to go to four "full-time" hosts on ATC.

But as I said, these are not new employees, so it's not a new expense. They're just shifting responsibilities for existing employees.

We don't know about new employees, yet.

Ari Shapiro was the only full time correspondent in the London bureau (CBS Radio News' Vicki Barker and Larry Miller do file reports, on a freelance basis for NPR from London). Kelly McEvers' national correspondent position at NPR West may need to be filled. All of those promoted are certainly seeing higher salaries. Certainly NPR will look to fill their former positions whether by rearranging the deck chairs or through new hires.

No move like this is "expense neutral."

No move like this is "expense neutral."

Who said their financial situation hasn't improved in two years? Let's stick with the facts.

If you're going to discuss budgets, it really helps to know the whole picture. I don't think you do.

Who said their financial situation hasn't improved in two years? Let's stick with the facts.

If you're going to discuss budgets, it really helps to know the whole picture. I don't think you do.

I understand how budgets work. I understand how to run a business, from a financial perspective. I understand how to read a consolidated financial statement. I have not read NPR's 2014 filing.

Do you have information regarding NPR's talent and new production budgeting? If you have specifics feel free to share.

Moving employees around like they just did is decidedly not "expense neutral" at any business, non-profit, whatever. We don't have a full picture on this, because we don't know what their next move is going to be (filling the London position, etc). You could provide more details or information rather than just telling me to "stick with the facts."

Do you have information regarding NPR's talent and new production budgeting?

I have what you have. The difference is I'm not extrapolating things from them. If you know budgets, then you know budgets have to be approved. Clearly, these changes have been approved by upper management and ultimately by the Board of Trustees. It doesn't matter to me one bit if the changes are "expense neutral" or not. It's not coming out of my wallet. They made the changes, and they got approved. If that leads to cutbacks at some later date, so be it. That's how businesses are run.

But right now, all we know is they they're re-allocating existing staff to deal with an opening on a show. We also know they have a relatively new CEO who may have a different way of running the company than the previous CEO. He has that right as part of his position. He was brought in to fix the problems in 2013. Maybe he's done that. In any case, I give him the benefit of the doubt that he knows more about his job and his budgets than you or I do. If he doesn't, and more cuts come, then it's time to armchair quarterback. But I suggest it's way to early for that.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom