• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Marty Ambrose

W

whatever39

Marty was diagnosed with ALS or Lou Garrett's Disease. I love this man, dearly. He is a true gentleman and has a character we should all be striving for. Those of you that know him need to reach out to him. He will not be with us very much longer.

Misspelled again. It's Lou Gehrig's Disease. Named for NY Yankee Hall of Famer Lou Gehrig, who died of this disease in 1941, just two years after his famous retirement ceremony in Yankee Stadium in 1939.

It's medical name is Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis, and it's a degenerative nerve disease. As the disease progresses, the brain loses its ability to communicate messages to the muscles in the body. As a result, muscles weaken and atrophy. Physical movement gets more and more difficult, until finally, it becomes impossible. There's no cure.

Marty is one of the finest and most decent men I've ever known, and my heart goes out to his family.

I haven't known Marty for that long, but do know that he's a great guy who is still fighting the fight. We've had some fun conversations over the last couple of years, not about radio, and I've come to appreciate him as a man of many interests and talents. We're thinking about Marty and his family everyday.

Marty was one of my nominees for the Texas Radio Hall of Fame. I had the pleasure of visiting with him, while working at KUHF one afternoon. He was still congenial and willing to talk; even to someone like me, that he hardly knows. I wish him every comfort as he battles this condition.

Not very goo d new for me today. Marty did traffic reports years ago (circa: 1995 -2000) at KLDE - Oldies 94.5 while I was there and was good at it. And a great guy. My thoughts are with him.

This is just gut-wrenchiong news. A man this good does not deserve to be afflicted with such an insidious disease. Words cannot describe my despair right now. All my thoughts and prayers go out to Marty and those close to him. God speed.

Marty is a very sweet man I've had the honor to know for decades, from his days on Memorial Drive with Chuck Messer to the last time we played golf which honestly was not that long ago. This disease is truly insidious and it is heart breaking to see what it is doing to Marty. I'm just thankful he made it to our last reunion and we all had a chance to visit. Prayers for Mary and Marty all those who know and love him, they are many.

Channel 13 did a very nice story on Marty Friday night at 10 PM, and Channel 11 did a nice, but smaller piece. It's good to know that people recognize just what Marty did for Houston radio, and the style and grace with which he did it. He is a true legend.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom