• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Mark Wright

Looks like Mark Wright is back doing the 11 PM news with Lori Matsukawa. Presumably this change occurred when take 5 debut in the 4 PM time slot. Evening line up is now:

5, 6:30 & 11 Lori & Mark
7, 9 & 10 Amanda & David

Looks like Mark Wright is back doing the 11 PM news with Lori Matsukawa. Presumably this change occurred when take 5 debut in the 4 PM time slot. Evening line up is now:

5, 6:30 & 11 Lori & Mark
7, 9 & 10 Amanda & David

Might have been declining ratings at 11pm with David co-anchoring. It makes sense to put your most experienced team on at 11pm.

Might have been declining ratings at 11pm with David co-anchoring. It makes sense to put your most experienced team on at 11pm.

Agree w/ this. As I noted when they rolled out the four anchors and four pairings a year ago, they were clearly looking for the best combination for the best ratings. I've seen them all together, without a doubt the two strongest anchors are Lori and Mark, and they are particularly strong when they are together.

If the ratings are slipping at 11 (wouldn't surprise me), then this is a simple decision to make.

Is Jake Whittenberg working the noon newscast with Mimi Jung?

Agree w/ this. As I noted when they rolled out the four anchors and four pairings a year ago, they were clearly looking for the best combination for the best ratings. I've seen them all together, without a doubt the two strongest anchors are Lori and Mark, and they are particularly strong when they are together.

If the ratings are slipping at 11 (wouldn't surprise me), then this is a simple decision to make.

Is Jake Whittenberg working the noon newscast with Mimi Jung?

I don't think the noon show has a set anchor anymore last few times I've caught it its been someone different. Yesterday it was Amity Addrisi.

I don't think the noon show has a set anchor anymore last few times I've caught it its been someone different. Yesterday it was Amity Addrisi.

I think you're right. I saw Mimi Jung a couple weeks ago, but then it was Jake the next day.

I guess the noon newscast is no longer important. Gone are the days of the likes of Cliff Kirk and Sandy Hill in the 70s or even Solnn Grey and Ann Busch in the 80s.

I think you're right. I saw Mimi Jung a couple weeks ago, but then it was Jake the next day.

I guess the noon newscast is no longer important. Gone are the days of the likes of Cliff Kirk and Sandy Hill in the 70s or even Solnn Grey and Ann Busch in the 80s.

What are you guys playing, Anchor Bingo?

An aircheck of SEA Thursday 7/19.

KOMO's new 3:30 news is spot-on. Nice delivery, good updates on the top stories. Unfortunately, the 4:00 'cast reverts back to some strange newsroom feed with a scattered presentation. Steve Poole is fine here, but the whole show seems lost.

KING's 4pm show is interesting...they are definitely trying to be the anti-news show, and they are trying very hard to offer diversity, with some success, but Angela Russell, (the former KIRO main anchor) seems uninterested. I like the casual feel, and it is unfortunate that the lobby is a better set than their main news set.

KING needs major upgrades. Can they do this at their SoDo location? TIme will tell.

KIRO looks good with their modern set, but the background is just terrible. Try using some live scene backgrounds for gawd sakes.

KCQP is decent. I wonder how the new ownership will change any of this.

An aircheck of SEA Thursday 7/19.
KCQP is decent. I wonder how the new ownership will change any of this.

First that "New Owner" has to see if they can salvage the Tribune sale. And if things go the wrong way, Sinclair may have issues with license renewal at some of their TV stations. With the Tribine sales deal for KCPQ going before a Judge. KCPQ could change sets several times before that sale goes through.

And I realize Sinclair will not be the new proposed owner of KCPQ, but the sale of KCPQ to a new owner depends on the Sinclair/Tribune sale which is on a hold for now and may now not go through.

And I realize Sinclair will not be the new proposed owner of KCPQ, but the sale of KCPQ to a new owner depends on the Sinclair/Tribune sale which is on a hold for now and may now not go through.

I think the Sinclair/Tribune merger is down, but not out. The FCC's decision is being questioned by the White House administration. The White House could potentially put pressure on Congressional members to in turn, put pressure on the Commission to reconsider. It's happened before.

Has anyone seen David Espinoza Hall on the broadcast lately? He is not on the KING TV website anymore....

I just noticed too that he was gone from the website. Additionally, his social media pages (facebook, instagram) no longer refer to him being at KING-TV. With all this evidence, I would conclude that he is GONE from KING-TV. But does anyone know for sure?

These indicators are strong that he is no longer at KING. He came across to me as a good reporter, but somewhat an average anchor. His style was low-key for sure, which works in some situations, but not when you are new to a city/station. I think he could be a strong top10 market reporter. Good luck to him.

KOMO's 4PM newscast has always been like that. Newsroom set with a lot of non-news stories, the KOMO question, the Buzz with Kent Phillips (I don't think they do that anymore but they did when I lived there...) and Eric's Little Heroes segments. 5PM was always a full newscast...

KOMO's 4PM newscast has always been like that. Newsroom set with a lot of non-news stories, the KOMO question, the Buzz with Kent Phillips (I don't think they do that anymore but they did when I lived there...) and Eric's Little Heroes segments. 5PM was always a full newscast...

Eric's Little Heroes morphed into just "Eric's Heroes". They added adults now who do good things in the community, or are a community fixture.

I just noticed too that he was gone from the website. Additionally, his social media pages (facebook, instagram) no longer refer to him being at KING-TV. With all this evidence, I would conclude that he is GONE from KING-TV. But does anyone know for sure?

He was on air within the last week.

KIMA calls it 'Washington Heroes,' and airs Eric Johnson's segments each Friday during the 5PM news. One little thing I cannot stand about KIMA...when they have a report from KATU or KOMO, they do NOT ACKNOWLEDGE THE REPORTER! Who is the reporter? They cut out the person's name and station and the anchor doesn't mention who it is. Pet peeve from a former Puget Sound resident.
Also I notice they rarely have any local 'heroes', whether Yakima or Tri-Cities. They have a segment on Thursdays called Yakima Good.

KIMA calls it 'Washington Heroes,' and airs Eric Johnson's segments each Friday during the 5PM news. One little thing I cannot stand about KIMA...when they have a report from KATU or KOMO, they do NOT ACKNOWLEDGE THE REPORTER! Who is the reporter?

That's because people who do care less think the reporter-reporting is from KIMA.

OT, but KUDOS to SWX in Spokane/Tri-Cities and KONG 16 for covering Seafair yesterday, from 3PM all the way to the 7pm-delayed final heat. I'm glad I was able to see it. I don't think I saw Chip Hanauer, sadly, but the commentators covering it were quite good. I still miss the old KIRO coverage but times have changed.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom