• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Mark Wright leaving KING 5

Your opinion.
Do you, or have you worked for a group of stations with local TV newsrooms? Trashing their performance because you don't care for it as a viewer is one thing, but to assume they're also being "demoted" isn't a fair statement.

I get it; this is a discussion forum, and viewers/folks interested in following local news talent or changes in legacy newscasts only see what's on the screen, or through classic sitcomms like The Mary Tyler Moore show. I assure you, what goes on behind the lenses isn't that dramatic or sexy. Behind the lenses it's not unlike most jobs: People like you and me who are or have honed a career doing certain tasks that they get paid to do. That's it, really. Workers get sick, go on vacation, have families, have lives away from the mics, cameras, and control rooms. And like any job, someone who normally works as a street reporter would someday love to get off the street and hold down a full time anchor role, while some love the streets. If they have anchoring experience from another station, a street reporter may get some weekend or fill-in time in the chair out-of-book. When they go back to the street, it doesn't mean they did something wrong just because you, as a viewer, doesn't like their face, how they dress, or their style of delivery.

Last edited:
KellyA -- You are clearly an expert here and I trust and value your opinions.

I think the point is that Bunin has bounced from primary morning anchor (4:30am to 7am), to secondary morning anchor (7am to 9am on KONG) to Noon anchor and Verify reporter. From a viewer's point of view, it "appears" that it might be a demotion. However, my thought about Bunin was that he seems to be a decent anchor and I could see him potentially being used in some expanded role of some sort.

KellyA -- You are clearly an expert here and I trust and value your opinions.
Appreciate that. Nobody's an expert, but maybe I'd fall under the 'grizzled veteran' category..
I think the point is that Bunin has bounced from primary morning anchor (4:30am to 7am), to secondary morning anchor (7am to 9am on KONG) to Noon anchor and Verify reporter. From a viewer's point of view, it "appears" that it might be a demotion. However, my thought about Bunin was that he seems to be a decent anchor and I could see him potentially being used in some expanded role of some sort.
Sure I understand what he was saying, but my point was that unless you're a full time seasoned anchor, it's not uncommon to bounce around to different shifts/timeslots/roles as the need arises. This was especially true during the first phase of COVID where some anchors and reporters worked from home, or some filled in as anchors in studio, when main anchors were staying home or in quarantine. It was, and to an extent, and still is, all over the map. It doesn't mean someone was demoted. As a rule, if you're not doing a good enough job or testing poorly, you're sent walking anyway.

Last edited:
By the way, that is an excellent point. Rather than having more people in the studio in the morning, perhaps using the same anchor team from 4:30 to 9am made sense during the pandemic (and make continue to make sense now). Having Steve Bunin at Noon may be another way to minimize time in studio. Honestly, when I watched KING 5 News at Noon the other day, I found Steve to be quite engaging (more so than some of the anchors). I guess that's why I wondered whether there were potential evening anchor roles for him (say at 4pm for example).

I guess we shall see what Standard Media thinks...as I'm sure they will be re-evaluating the team.

It’s true that Mark can’t be replaced and unlike other stations in the market, at least they have an anchor bench from which to draw. Frankly, I’m surprised there’s no talk of Jake Whittenberg. Jake is like a franchise quarterback. He’s demonstrated that he’s dedicated to the market. He has also proven how to effectively use social media platforms to communicate to the audience. KING could really build its “home” around him. If the new bosses at KING would take some risks and allow his creativity to show at the desk, I see more stability for KING—something that’s been a bit rocky since the buyouts of Enersen, Bounds, and with the departure of Matsukawa. Steve Soliz seems solid, but I’m not sure he’s been around long enough for viewers to embrace him. KING has also not capitalized on Steve Bunnin’s affability. Greg Copeland, while solid, has a sleepy delivery and in that, gets lost in the mix. So, as if anyone even reads this or cares what I think, here’s my KING 5 Fantasy Anchor Line-Up.

Mornings: Mimi Jung and Steve Soliz
KONG Mornings: Greg Copeland
Noon: Greg Copeland
4:00 Steve Bunnin and Janell Jenner-Castro
5-6:00 Joyce Taylor and Jake Whittenberg
7:00 Steve Bunnin and Janell Jenner-Castro
11:00 Joyce Taylor and Jake Whittenberg
Weekends: These reporters look SOLID and should be called up: Christina Pae and Lionel Donovan.

But hey, what do I know?

6:30 Steve Bunin
7:00 Steve Bunin
9:00 Steve Bunin
10 pm Jake Whittenberg
Weekend Mornings: Farah Jadran

I also think, while I’m at it, KING goofed with Mike Everett as its Chief Meteorologist. His voice always sound hoarse and it’s distracting. He also tries too hard to be hip. I would invest in Adam Claibon—he comes across as more sincere. Delivery needs a little work, but given the opportunity he would rise to the occasion.

By the way, KING 5 still has a job listing for Chief Meteorologist. So, I don't think a final decision has been made.
Remember, the legal requirements of filling a position require posting even if the station's intent is to promote within. They may well have the "right" person but are going through the motions of compliance.

Remember, the legal requirements of filling a position require posting even if the station's intent is to promote within. They may well have the "right" person but are going through the motions of compliance.
Thanks, David, I am well-aware of the legal requirements. I was just commenting on the previous poster's assumption that they have already appointed a chief meteorologist.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom