• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Marijuana ads on broadcast, parallels to lottery ads in the day

The statement from the station is pretty clear: They're looking for guidance from the government on what to do. Most licensees would rather err on the cautious side, rather than run an ad and get fined. But the FCC hasn't been proactive in this kind of matter, so it will probably take a complaint to bring it to the attention of the media bureau.

To me it's similar to tobacco advertising. It may be legal to use, but not to advertise.

Last edited:
I wouldn't have needed any guidance...it would have been no, precisely because we're dealing with the feds and being in a federally regulated industry. The FCC could have easily turned a blind eye to it during this administration only to bite broadcasters in the butt in a different administration.

Now, if it was the newspaper, no problem. Amazing with our local newspapers, both Pueblo and Cañon City are quite conservative and both editorialized against legal marijuana. And they both have no problem running the pot shop ads and taking the money.

This world is just too strange. I need some Swisher Sweets and bottle rockets!

The FCC could have easily turned a blind eye to it during this administration only to bite broadcasters in the butt in a different administration. +

First of all, the Commissioners are from both parties, and none of them, to my knowledge, have addressed this.

But the people who would impose the fines are civil servants, not political appointees, and they are the same regardless of administration.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom