• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Marginalized by the country industry

I'm not sure I agree that she's "marginalized by the country industry." She had a breakthrough performance on September's ACM Awards, and she's nominated for more awards at their next ceremony. The industry seems to like her. But she's had a tough time getting airplay at country radio. There are hundreds of artists of all races and genders who can say the same thing.

In the meantime, the #1 song on country radio this week is "Just The Way," a duet featuring the band Parmalee and black rapper Blanco Brown. Darius Rucker just celebrated his 10th #1 as a country singer. There are far more artists than spots in the playlist. So radio stations make decisions, based on the research they get.

On the other hand, country radio made a "top down" decision not to play Morgan Wallen after TMZ posted a video with him using the "n" word in a drunken rage. The ACM has banned him from receiving nominations to their awards show next month. And he has the #1 country album right now.

So what does that say about the country audience and the country industry?

Here's a video about how radio dominates the country music industry and vice versa, including indirect forms of payola determining which songs become hits, corporate ownership determining the playlists for hundreds of stations with little to no local input, refusing to play female artists or singers who sound "too country", etc:

Here's a video about how radio dominates the country music industry and vice versa, including indirect forms of payola determining which songs become hits, corporate ownership determining the playlists for hundreds of stations with little to no local input, refusing to play female artists or singers who sound "too country", etc:

This is a load of crap. Yes Cody is "too rodeo for radio." Have you listened to country radio lately? No rodeo songs. No cowboy songs. People in Texas think the world world is like Texas. It isn't. Country radio has to appeal to people who live in cities as well as people in rural areas. The label knew this was a tough sell to begin with. There were no surprises.

For some reason we live in a time when people want to destroy things. Destroy the media, destroy the government, destroy country radio. To me, it's all very negative. We should look to build things. So in this case, if someone isn't playing Cody Johnson, why not try to create a new outlet? I see the new owner of what was once GAC also owns a horse-based cable channel. Perfect place to pitch Cody Johnson. That's taking the positive approach, rather than destroy country radio because it doesn't do what you want.

Here's the truth: There are too many artists and too many songs for one country radio station. They can't play all the new artists, all the new releases, and all the old stuff as well. Too much. So the reality is 98% of the music won't get played on the radio. That's why you have personal devices. Download Cody Johnson and you can listen to him all day.

This has nothing to do with corporate ownership. If you want to talk corporate, let's talk about record labels. Universal Music Group is worth more than three times what the entire radio industry is worth. It's a huge international conglomerate worth billions of dollars. They keep raising royalty rates and cutting back on service. Their artists have private planes and several homes to live in. Meanwhile radio companies go bankrupt. Read this story: UMG is worth $41 billion. The entire radio industry combined is worth about $15 billion. Who is sticking it to whom?

This is a load of crap. Yes Cody is "too rodeo for radio." Have you listened to country radio lately? No rodeo songs. No cowboy songs. People in Texas think the world world is like Texas. It isn't. Country radio has to appeal to people who live in cities as well as people in rural areas.
I see you did a great job of watching the first 30 seconds of the video. And aren't you arguing in favor of local control of playlists here? Play more pop/hip-hop-infused "country" music in the cities, and more cowboy songs in Texas. What's wrong with that?

For some reason we live in a time when people want to destroy things.
Who's talking about destroying anything? We just want radio to play music with organic popularity behind it, not the songs which the record labels are telling them to give "max spins" on specific weeks to manufacture #1 hits and then drop them like a hot potato once that goal has been achieved. A song with organic popularity wouldn't be at #1 or #2 one week and then not even in the top 20 the next week.

So the reality is 98% of the music won't get played on the radio. That's why you have personal devices. Download Cody Johnson and you can listen to him all day.
You're saying that artists can have a successful career without any radio airplay, while record company executives say that if you don't get played on the radio, you don't exist. Who's right?

This has nothing to do with corporate ownership. If you want to talk corporate, let's talk about record labels. Universal Music Group is worth more than three times what the entire radio industry is worth. It's a huge international conglomerate worth billions of dollars.
Two wrongs don't make a right. And you're just proving that when only a handful of companies own the majority of media outlets, and only a handful of companies own the record labels managing the majority of artists, you get a pipeline of manufactured stardom.

Aren't you arguing in favor of local control of playlists here? Play more pop/hip-hop-infused "country" music in the cities, and more cowboy songs in Texas. What's wrong with that?

The generalization still doesn't work. Just because you live in Texas doesn't mean you like cowboy music. Waylon Jennings was born & raised in Texas. He ain't no cowboy. Neither is Willie Nelson.

As for local control of playlists, all major country stations create their own local playlists. If they are big enough to report to Billboard or Mediabase, those charts require that the playlists are created locally, and there is a local music director responsible for that playlist, and he can take phone calls from record labels who want to get him to add their songs. That's how this works.

We just want radio to play music with organic popularity behind it, not the songs which the record labels are telling them to give "max spins" on specific weeks to manufacture #1 hits and then drop them like a hot potato once that goal has been achieved. A song with organic popularity wouldn't be at #1 or #2 one week and then not even in the top 20 the next week.

Who is "we?" How do you base "organic popularity?" Streaming charts? OK, look at the streaming charts and tell me what you see. People are streaming the same songs that radio plays. Just more of it. The record labels are part of it. They represent their artists. So if radio isn't playing Cody Johnson, his record label calls to ask why not. That's how it works. But country radio plays a lot more than currents. Typically, about a third of the music is currents in the chart. Then you have recent currents. Then you have gold. That combination is what makes up the music on the radio.

You say "a song with organic popularity wouldn't be #1 one week and then not even Top 20 next." Really? People have short attention span. You can see it in the streaming charts. A new song comes out and they stream it over and over. Then they stop. That's organic popularity. However, the charts drop songs after two weeks without increased spins. After that, the songs move to the recurrent chart, where they're still being played at a very high level, but they're not increasing. That's a chart thing.

You're saying that artists can have a successful career without any radio airplay, while record company executives say that if you don't get played on the radio, you don't exist. Who's right?

Both and neither. Artists can have a successful career without a record label too. Record execs have individual label rosters bigger than the Top 30. They can't expect their entire roster to get airplay.

Two wrongs don't make a right. And you're just proving that when only a handful of companies own the majority of media outlets, and only a handful of companies own the record labels managing the majority of artists, you get a pipeline of manufactured stardom.

No single company owns enough radio stations to affect the chart. If one did, the chart editors would make changes. There are a lot more people involved besides major radio companies and major record labels. The country station in LA is owned by a 94 year old music fan who personally gets involved in the music decisions at his station that is mainly run by his son. So no corporate involvement there. I can give you a bunch of other examples. We just had a record by a young woman from Canada on a small indie record label go to #1. She beat out all the big record labels. So it can happen.

Last edited:
I see you did a great job of watching the first 30 seconds of the video. And aren't you arguing in favor of local control of playlists here? Play more pop/hip-hop-infused "country" music in the cities, and more cowboy songs in Texas. What's wrong with that?
Stations in larger markets do their own local music research. While the format may be "syndicated" what is shared are things like talent, but the playlist is local and integrated with the multi-market bits and pieces.
Who's talking about destroying anything? We just want radio to play music with organic popularity behind it, not the songs which the record labels are telling them to give "max spins" on specific weeks to manufacture #1 hits and then drop them like a hot potato once that goal has been achieved. A song with organic popularity wouldn't be at #1 or #2 one week and then not even in the top 20 the next week.
We don't care what the national chart is. In radio, we have two or three current categories... power, others and new songs. #9 and #15 rotate the same, so chart positions are irrelevant: local data is what determines whether a song is a power, a regular current or in the "new" or "descending" category. In a category, they all rotate the same.

And I've seen a song test so powerfully at the #1 station in LA it was a power for most of a 13 month period. That was the product of local research; the label wanted to move on every ten to twelve weeks with a new single, but we could not comply as our listeners told us to keep playing that song.

I have no idea what "organic" popularity is. Radio is based on playing songs that each station's audience likes and wants to hear on the radio. Not songs they want to buy. Not videos they want to see. On the radio, today. That is the basis for radio research: ask your listeners about every song you might play and find out how much they want to hear them on the radio today. Period.

"Organic" is good for spinach. In radio, we want specifically popular songs among our core listeners.
It does not matter. Radio has a synergistic or symbiotic relationship with the record business, but we don't sell records and they don't sell ads.

In the office of my PD at one station we had a sign that said "the record promoter is not your friend". That was to remind both us and the promoter that what they wanted and what we needed were not always the same. To be cute, we had the text embroidered on a little tiny quilt and put over the door to the PD's office. That station was overwhelmingly #1 in a 114 station USmarket.
No, it does not work that way. Stations in the larger markets... the ones that are weighted to have the biggest chart influence... have local research and have local playlists. In smaller markets, we might share research among several compatible markets. I used to share country research between Tallahassee, Albany and Dothan because we found that the three markets... even with separate owners... were nearly identical on currents and library songs. So we could test the library three times as often at the same cost per station by rotating markets and sharing the results.

Last edited:
For some reason we live in a time when people want to destroy things. Destroy the media, destroy the government, destroy country radio. To me, it's all very negative. We should look to build things... That's taking the positive approach, rather than destroy country radio because it doesn't do what you want.
This sort of thing regarding radio play has been going on forever. The big difference now is that, with social media, Youtube and the internet, people potentially have a bigger voice and a larger audience to try and make their case to. Back in the late 80s - early 90s, I was working for a small market Top 40. One afternoon before my airshift, I happened to watch the local (again, small market) TV news, and a guy was on there complaining that none of the stations in our area would play a song he'd just written and released, and he named all the stations he'd sent CDs to, including ours and told viewers to call all those stations and tell them to play his stuff. Right away the phones started to ring and his story on TV generated about 1/2 dozen calls. One from a geriatric telling us we should play him, and 5 from others who made comments like; "His family is well known and they have money, the guy's a spoiled brat and he's only on TV because isn't getting what he wants". "He's a below average musician", "His music doesn't deserve airplay on your station as it isn't to that standard" and similar.

The next day I happened to run into the PD and mentioned it to him. He let me listen to the CD. The majority of callers were right, it was just "OK" but nothing I could see our listeners requesting to hear and I'm not even sure it fit into our particular format. It was simply a case where he was coming in with blinders on, thinking his stuff was better than it was and he was hell bent on getting his music on the air. I don't think any of the stations in that market bit. Today I see his stuff on iTunes and he's got a Youtube channel where he's posted a few dozen songs, and has far less than 100 total views.

Last edited:
The generalization still doesn't work. Just because you live in Texas doesn't mean you like cowboy music. Waylon Jennings was born & raised in Texas. He ain't no cowboy. Neither is Willie Nelson.
Though they are known for, and I heard this song the other day on a classic country station, "Mamas Don't Let Your Babies Grow Up to Be Cowboys".

This is a load of crap. Yes Cody is "too rodeo for radio." Have you listened to country radio lately? No rodeo songs. No cowboy songs.
I forget which station I heard play "Rodeo" by Garth Brooks, but it had to be classic-leaning at the very least because I wouldn't have been listening to anything else.

I wonder what they mean by "female artists or singers who sound 'too country'"? Country music and the kinds of tunes you'll hear in that format are definitely not "rodeo" or akin to the more "classic" country western music of a few generation or more ago. You'll not hear singers like Tammy Wynette belting out "Stand by your man", there's definitely not as much weepy sounding steel guitar, and the stereotypical "Lost my wife, lost my dog, lost my pickup truck, woe is me, I'm so lonely I could die" aren't around.

There's a well-known country music festival that's been around for decades. When it first began, you'd hear lots of classic country and find lots of die-hard country fans in the audience. A bit more than 20 years ago, the music had definitely started to evolve, lots of artists and bands who were annual mainstays of that festival for years started to disappear, and they were replaced over time by younger, hipper artists. The festival organizers then made a big change which was a bit of a gamble: Instead of booking a major country artist to headline on Saturday night, they considered that the highest rated radio stations in that market and the adjacent few were classic rock, followed by country, so they started booking classic rock bands to headline on Saturday night, with country artists playing throughout the rest of the festival. It WORKED and the crowds immediately embraced the change. They were just as happy if not happier to hear Creedence Clearwater Revival vs hearing Brad Paisley or Keith Urban or Josh Turner.

Last edited:
I wonder what they mean by "female artists or singers who sound 'too country'"?

For a long time, every female country record I got sounded like Beyonce. Nobody told these girls that Beyonce isn't a country singer. Right now, there's a new female name Lainey Wilson, and her record is shooting up the chart. Lainey is like a young Loretta Lynn, and has attitude to match.

For a long time, every female country record I got sounded like Beyonce. Nobody told these girls that Beyonce isn't a country singer. Right now, there's a new female name Lainey Wilson, and her record is shooting up the chart. Lainey is like a young Loretta Lynn, and has attitude to match.
Love Lainey's record -- and Carly Pearce's hits too, although she's more in the Emmylou Harris/Kathy Mattea folk/country style than hard-core country Loretta.

Also, I hear quite a bit of difference among the five country stations I listen to at least somewhat regularly. WWYZ, the iHeart country powerhouse, is very reluctant to stray from the hard-rocking "bro country" sounds of the past couple of decades. Party and beach songs and country/rap crossovers get big pushes, more progressive or traditional songs don't. (Although they have started playing the Garth Brooks/Trisha Yearwood collaboration "Shallow" -- just heard it today.)

Go north to co-owned WRNX Springfield, Mass., and more chances are taken. They're all over a bunch of female artists now.

By the time you get into Vermont and stations like WYRY (Brattleboro area) and WXXK (Upper Valley -- White River Valley area), you'd hardly know bro country ever happened. Lots of very interesting, riskier items on the playlist alongside safer summer fare like "Famous Friends" (THE song of the summer, IMO) and "What's Your Country Song." The Upper Valley station is even on Kelsea Ballerini/Kenny Chesney's "Half of My Hometown," and has been for at least a month; haven't heard it at all down here.

So yes, it certainly appears that country programmers are very much aware of their stations' markets.

I wonder what they mean by "female artists or singers who sound 'too country'"? Country music and the kinds of tunes you'll hear in that format are definitely not "rodeo" or akin to the more "classic" country western music of a few generation or more ago. You'll not hear singers like Tammy Wynette belting out "Stand by your man", there's definitely not as much weepy sounding steel guitar, and the stereotypical "Lost my wife, lost my dog, lost my pickup truck, woe is me, I'm so lonely I could die" aren't around.
You know what happens when you play one of those songs backwards :)

I'm not sure I agree that she's "marginalized by the country industry." She had a breakthrough performance on September's ACM Awards, and she's nominated for more awards at their next ceremony. The industry seems to like her. But she's had a tough time getting airplay at country radio. There are hundreds of artists of all races and genders who can say the same thing.
I spent a minute in country radio, and have a few friends who work for/have worked for labels. If by "marginalized by the country industry" the OP means "having a shit-ton of money thrown at you in hopes you break big" then yeah...she's marginalized. Anyone who has spent any time in country radio can tell you stories of artists that came through on their radio tours that were talented, charismatic, backed by great songwriters, great producers, and yet when their debut single or album debuted amidst heavy promotion fell flat and never went anywhere.

Happens all the time, and a lot of the artists know. A station I used to work for would put the publicity photos of the artists that had come through up on the wall of the conference room/performance space. One time, I was talking to a member of a very talented group. He was looking at that wall, and said "man...this is intimidating."

Not because he was looking at a wall filled with 8x10s of huge stars who "made it," but because most of them did not. That's just the reality of the business.

Anyone who has spent any time in country radio can tell you stories of artists that came through on their radio tours that were talented, charismatic, backed by great songwriters, great producers, and yet when their debut single or album debuted amidst heavy promotion fell flat and never went anywhere.
The PD who worked with me at one LA station had an interesting experience when she was asked to listen to a pre-release of a major artist's new album. She said, "there is only one song I can play on the station". The label said, "that is not the release".

She played the one she picked. The label complained to me, to the GM, to corporate management.

The song became the biggest hit they had ever had. Despite the artist's wishes, despite the label.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom