• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Maine station can't afford the Sox anymore

Millinocket.

"Which way to Millinocket?"
"Well you could try this route, or that one, no wait. You could try this route that the tourists
use...Hmm. Come to think of it, you can't GET there from here."--Bert and I

http://bangordailynews.com/2016/05/...ation-cant-afford-to-broadcast-red-sox-games/

>>the owner of radio station WSYY, 94.9 FM, in Millinocket had to pull the plug on carrying the Red Sox games.
“It’s just too expensive. We lost a lot of money on it last year,” he said.

Meanwhile in Bangor:
>>Bobby Russell, the general manager of Bangor’s Zone Corporation, which airs the Red Sox on WZON, 620 AM, said the rights fees for the Red Sox dramatically increased after they won their first World Series in 86 years in 2004.
Russell said although it is “very pricey,” it is a money-maker for the station because they are able to attract enough sponsors for the games, which feature longtime Red Sox broadcaster Joe Castiglione

Horrors! WZON is owned by Stephen King (In miniseries of his The Stand, talker Rae Flowers works for WZON...and in his 11--22-63 one character says "I'm a DJ at WKIT, in Bangor". Another King outlet.)
--

The article is right, the Sox are pricey. WZON probably would not be carrying the Sox if it were not for the owner. From what I've heard, the owner of WSYY is finally moving on his long existing STA and building a new FM tower after getting kicked off their old one several years ago, so that's where the money is going.

I used to live in Bangor but I do not remember much about ZON's signal power. I would think at 5,000 watts it could reach Millinocket in the daytime, but not so sure about nighttime.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom