• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Magic 94.9 Internet Radio

If you play licensed music, you're on the hook for streaming royalties.

Good point. If you read the mixlr.com terms of service, they say this:

You warrant to Mixlr that:
(i) the User Content is your own original work and you own the entire right, title and interest in and to the User Content and/or you have all necessary licences, rights, consents and permissions to use, and to authorise us to use the User Content in the manner contemplated by these Terms;

Key words are "user generated content." That is the same kind of thing we post here. An example would be your own band performing their own compositions. That's user generated content. If on the other hand, you're posting and streaming songs and performances owned by record labels, then you're in trouble, and they can suspend your membership. From what I can see, they're not very active in policing their site. But once I speak with my friends as ASCAP and BMI, they may change their way.

So let me get this straight.

A streaming service trying to avoid paying royalties AND customers of the service unlawfully using trademarks and call letters.

This is why real radio people don't take online content seriously.

You know what? We might as well not do this no more on this forum since there's so much questions and you're obviously not adhearing to what I'm saying. Never mind about this discucssion, we thought it was a good idea, but apparently no. And I, personally know a lot and have 100 percent knowledge about broadcasting. So, there's no ignorance involved here. It is the repetitive questioning about copyright issues that don't exist with us. I've told everybody here again and again that this radio station was NOT stolen, it was not copying no other station at all, we have our own sound, and most importantly, we're following all rules here. We're not switching our format name unless if somebody from the FCC or just as high priority as them tell us to. Our sister station in Phoenix does the same thing. So there's no problem. No offense, but we tried hard persuading everybody to take this seriously and respect our decisions, but it did not work as planned. Not only has it been hard explaining this to every individual here, but our explaining failed to help change your minds. Thanks very much for caring enough to post here, but now we know it was a bad idea all along from the start. Sorry for wasting everybody's time, but it's done. We're done. It seems like I cannot make a point, and be agreed with. If anybody's going to be talking down against us, we don't need to take it nor be here. We're not calling out anybody here , I don't even know anybody's usernames on here. We tried.

It is the repetitive questioning about copyright issues that don't exist with us.

You can think whatever you want, but the law is the law, and you're breaking it. A little education wouldn't hurt. Please read the Digital Millennium Copyright Act, and how it applies to streaming radio. If you're playing music on the internet, you need to pay a royalty. If you don't, mixlr will shut you down. Simple as that. You don't need to "explain" anything to us. We know what you're doing. It's not that complicated. We're trying to help you.

Last edited:
We have it licensed through BMI services.

That's part of it. BMI covers some songs. Another company called ASCAP covers a different group of songs. But then there's SoundExchange. Look into them. If you're on the internet, and you're playing music, SoundExchange needs to know. Don't believe me. Ask them what you should do. They'll tell you.

That's part of it. BMI covers some songs. Another company called ASCAP covers a different group of songs. But then there's SoundExchange. Look into them. If you're on the internet, and you're playing music, SoundExchange needs to know. Don't believe me. Ask them what you should do. They'll tell you.

...and let's not forget SESAC, whose presence as a music licensing agency is steadily growing.

big a you know that black people were never sued by the Riaa....and there are tons of rap hip hop streaming sites that have no proof of being licensed.......why not go after the low hanging fruit......scared of black privilege ???

But once I speak with my friends as ASCAP and BMI, they may change their way.

Yes, we've heard of them. I haven't told anybody yet here, but we do have staff that work for the station and will be hosting their own shows. I'm the Manager/Program Director. All the others are jocks and work in the directing fields. I've also heard of SoundExchange. We'll soon get our licensee covered by them in the near future. We're really sorry for the earlier long post, some other staff member of the station posted that, not me... I was quite surprised myself to see that on here, and that they knew the account password. We're not done yet, we'll still work this out, and most likely will change the station branding.

-Lawrence

Just so everybody knows, we are launching tonight officially. We've fixed everything about us, so it's all complete. We spoke to GM and they said it's fine to broadcast with the "Magic" branding montiker. We just got the response this afternoon, so everything's fine and legal. The music licencing and station identification is enforced.

-Lawrence

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom