• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

LPFM Tower Collapse

The tower is owned by the City of Morro Bay, is at the City Yard / DPW, will be replaced in kind with upgrades as required by the insurance company....

.....Unless the city wants to be rid of KEBF-LP, what the issue?

Did the radio station not have their own insurance? That is the number one requirement at every place we are located. No one wants to be sued because someone fell on their way to see me. And what if the antenna had injured someone when it crashed to the ground? We are required to have one million dollar policies at three locations.

Last edited:
The city of Morro Bay may own that tower but I don't think they're using it anymore. It looks like an old dispatch tower. KEBF was probably the sole occupant. That's why Hal Abrams, the station manager, expressed doubts about rebuilding there. If the city decides not rebuild the tower, then the station owners will have to get a special use permit from the planning commission and permission from the city to rebuild on that site all on their own…provided the city will give them permission. Ultimately, it could hinge on how good a neighbor/tenant Estero Bay Radio has been to the city. The KEBF studio is housed in a city-owned building.

Was considering making a donation, however it would be to offset a (small) portion of the tower rebuild.

Waiting for a reply to my email asking if they have permission from Morro Bay to proceed

I know we've spent a lot of comment space on KEBF's plight and I hope they get the problem worked out ASAP. But this is a teaching moment for all LPFM station owners and future station owners. What kind of arrangements are we making with cities and/or private businesses for a transmitter site or studio for our station? What are the liabilities/responsibilities of each party? Obviously, someone should have checked on the health of that tower. But who? The city or the station? Who pays if something goes wrong or maintenance is needed? Knowing these answers could help minimize the downtime and expense when bad things happen.

The city sold the LPFM to the community radio group. Therefore, the radio station is responsible for maintaining the equipment and any damage caused by the radio station. The radio station should have it's own business insurance policy.

The city sold the LPFM to the community radio group. Therefore, the radio station is responsible for maintaining the equipment and any damage caused by the radio station. The radio station should have it's own business insurance policy.
Free tower rent/studio space and still dry begging for ham & eggers to save them.

LPFM spacing rules require them to be 56 km away from

KRTO-FM 97.1 MHz​

Guadalupe, California
I get this below

LICKRTO(FM)97.1246A0.36404 m (1325 ft)GuadalupeCA55.14 km (34.3 mi)

.86 km short spaced request for STA.

The way i read the report, they are .86km PAST the bare minimum.. if it was short spaced, it'd be a minus sign.

Hal Abrams replied - They are looking for a permanent tower site, with a temporary location as noted in the STA.

I did grab some of the premiums on their website to support the efforts, and will support their campaign for the new tower once the location is identified.

SP

Another layer to the feces sandwich of California regulation is the California Coastal Commission. Their jurisdiction extends five miles inland from the coast. They absolutely hate transmitter towers and antennas and have been successful in stopping the upgrading of a couple of transmitter sites. Let's hope KEBF-LP doesn't have to tangle with them as they find a new location.

Looks as if KEBF-LP lives again. The Morro Bay Police Department and The City of Morro Bay is letting the station temporarily use their communication tower while they scout for a permanent location. The antenna height is lower than what they had but not by much.

Back
Top Bottom