• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Low power indies of The 90s

Does anyone remember American independent Network and Network One. Both with the air B movies, westerns and American independent networks even had a satellite dish wired in. I think it was USSB to where they got their news from All News Channel and Bloomberg news and they would show out of market football and basketball games particularly SEC if I remember correctly. My local affiliate would often preempt American independent networks afternoon schedule with high school sports and local news. Fun times.

Yup AIN was mainly the programming on KDUL-LP 12 in Duluth, MN when it was on the air. They also carried UPN but the signal was crap. Even on cable there were issues. Channel lasted less than a year

Also, add Channel America to that mix. One of those LPTV channels with public domain films, obscure TV shows, Hot Seat with Wally George, and obscure wrestling. We had Channel America in Yakima during the early '90s, an LPTV on ch 60.

Network One aired a lot of bikini competitions.

Also, add Channel America to that mix. One of those LPTV channels with public domain films, obscure TV shows, Hot Seat with Wally George, and obscure wrestling. We had Channel America in Yakima during the early '90s, an LPTV on ch 60.

Didn't Ch. 60 also air The Box, the pay to view music video service?

Feels kind of quaint, here in the year 2023, to hear a TV network asking people to write in with their favorite shows. This was, of course, before the Internet.

Channel America also comes across as a kind of low-rent analog version of present-day subchannel diginets.

Yup AIN was mainly the programming on KDUL-LP 12 in Duluth, MN when it was on the air. They also carried UPN but the signal was crap. Even on cable there were issues. Channel lasted less than a year

I bet the handful of UPN fans in Duluth rejoiced when KDUL threw in the towel because it meant KMSP would be "in the clear" again during UPN programming. Around the time of the KMSP/WFTC affiliation swap, KBJR added a subchannel with UPN and inherited KMSP's cable slots.

I bet the handful of UPN fans in Duluth rejoiced when KDUL threw in the towel because it meant KMSP would be "in the clear" again during UPN programming. Around the time of the KMSP/WFTC affiliation swap, KBJR added a subchannel with UPN and inherited KMSP's cable slots.
It wasn’t very long that KDUL could blackout on cable. Maybe 6 months tops and many times charter forgot to black out Kmsp ;)
I lived in Duluth during that time and KMSP was blacked out most of the day as Duluth stations carried the syndicated shows (but they would show them at weird hours like after late night shows)

After watching the above YouTube video of Channel America's commercials and promos, I recognized some of the content as what I used to view on WPEN Channel 51 out of Gloucester County, Virginia. I remember watching a fashion program called "Runway Club," and I recognized the host, Katlean De Monchy, in the clip. There was also a country music video block that aired on Sunday nights.

Channel 51 was a low-power signal that later morphed into Channel 49 which was a Pax TV affiliate and is presently Ion.

I noticed that Gloucester County was misspelled in the affiliate list scroll (the "u" was missing.)

After watching the above YouTube video of Channel America's commercials and promos, I recognized some of the content as what I used to view on WPEN Channel 51 out of Gloucester County, Virginia. I remember watching a fashion program called "Runway Club," and I recognized the host, Katlean De Monchy, in the clip. There was also a country music video block that aired on Sunday nights.

Channel 51 was a low-power signal that later morphed into Channel 49 which was a Pax TV affiliate and is presently Ion.

I noticed that Gloucester County was misspelled in the affiliate list scroll (the "u" was missing.)
With a name like "Katlean De Monchy", I simply had to look her up.

Kind of reminds me of a younger Cristina Saralegui speaking unaccented American English.

I worked at a pager company in Fort Wayne, IN and we had one of those juke box channels in the building on channel 45.
Yep. Another one was up North in DeKalb County American Independent Network on Low power WCOL7 - Auburn run by Frank Konvas during the 80s and 90s. I wish one of these networks would’ve ended up on WINM TV 63 in the day it would’ve got a bigger coverage area.

With a name like "Katlean De Monchy", I simply had to look her up.
LOL! After finding a picture of Cristina Saralegui, I see the resemblance.

It's been over three decades since I last saw it, but I recall "Runway Club" as being reminiscent of CNN's "Style with Elsa Klensch."

Edit: Oh, I just realized who Cristina Saralegui is: she used to host a self-titled show on Univision, right? There was also a variety show on Univision on Saturday nights hosted by a heavy-set man. I used to glance at both shows but I don't understand Spanish, so I never hung around too long.

Last edited:
LOL! After finding a picture of Cristina Saralegui, I see the resemblance.

It's been over three decades since I last saw it, but I recall "Runway Club" as being reminiscent of CNN's "Style with Elsa Klensch."

Edit: Oh, I just realized who Cristina Saralegui is: she used to host a self-titled show on Univision, right? There was also a variety show on Univision on Saturday nights hosted by a heavy-set man. I used to glance at both shows but I don't understand Spanish, so I never hung around too long.
You're thinking of Don Francisco and Sábado Gigante. Kind of an acquired taste for someone, such as myself, not of that culture.

K32AP, later KCSI-LP, was licensed to Windsor-Eldridge North Dakota and had coverage of those towns and also Jamestown, ND. It was licensed to the local cable system. Lasted 20 years, from 1988 to 2008; last license renewal according to FCCdata was in 1998. A wikipedia page of sorts indicates that it was on the air until 2008. License has been cancelled but no date given at FCCdata for the cancellation. I don't believe that this station ever went digital. 7kW ERP of analog power!
I did apply to work at this station when I was starting out in broadcasting (Fargo native) but never heard back. If that ad and or cover letter are still in my files I may post them.
Driving back home with my trusty Sony Watchman I remember seeing TBN and later the All News Channel during the late 80's and early 90's. The wikipedia page indicates that it was also an affiliate of Pax/i/ION until the shutdown in 2008.

We had WANN 32 in Atlanta at that time. They were one of the first stations to make use of 10 or more subchannels. Today they have kind of gone the route of Retro TV in Chattanooga (who were big players around 2010) but have since faded in stature from competition.

We had WANN 32 in Atlanta at that time. They were one of the first stations to make use of 10 or more subchannels. Today they have kind of gone the route of Retro TV in Chattanooga (who were big players around 2010) but have since faded in stature from competition.
When you get to that point, you've got what I think of as "bit-starved homeopathic 480p". I'd cap it out at six subchannels or less.

I have vague memories of Detroit's channel 26 (listed as W26AB on the affiliate crawl) airing Channel America. I seem to recall channel-surfing OTA at my grandparents' house, about 30 miles north of downtown Detroit, and coming across the station, which was the first I'd ever heard of it since it wasn't carried in local TV listings and I couldn't get it OTA at home (about 15 miles south) with rabbit ears. With my grandparents' outdoor antenna I could also pick up the CBC French station out of Windsor (CBEFT 54) and the Detroit Univision satellator (W66BV), plus channels 29 (Global) and 42 (CKCO-CTV) from Sarnia and CFPL 10 from London. Ah, those were the days.
By 1995, W26AB had become WLPC and was airing religious programming.
One thing I found interesting on the affiliate crawl was W02BY in Fremont, Ohio. As Fremont is a short distance southeast of Toledo, I wonder how that got approved with WJBK in Detroit so close by. Fremont was close enough for Detroit stations to be included in their newspaper TV listings at that time.

Back
Top Bottom