• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Los Angeles Radio Ratings: October 2023

It will be interesting to see what happens when Ken leaves the John and Ken show I don't think much will change I think the show will do just as well I know other people make the argument but when other people have left the successful show it hasn't done well yeah but that was Mark and Brian that was a music station same with Kevin and Bean that was a music station this is a talk station I think John will do just fine

Don't go too far. Nothing is permanent in radio.

Especially for the stations I listen to. In fact it happened just again this week. Sirius XM axed one of my favorites, Deep Tracks. They kept the Phish and Dave Mathews channels. Of course I will call and complain, the nice operator will patiently indulge the nut on the other end of the phone, and nothing will happen. In the battle against progress, no matter how bad, backward, or even evil progress is, it will always win.

BTW, save the "they only moved it to the app" posts. I want to hear my station on the radio not on my phone. There is a difference, and a very big one at that.
Actually, they moved Deep Tracks to Channel 308, which is available on radios, but only fairly recent ones. Like you, I am among the unfortunate millions with a car radio that only goes up to 235, meaning that my listening to Deep Tracks is now limited to the app.

Don't go too far. Nothing is permanent in radio.

Especially for the stations I listen to. In fact it happened just again this week. Sirius XM axed one of my favorites, Deep Tracks. They kept the Phish and Dave Mathews channels. Of course I will call and complain, the nice operator will patiently indulge the nut on the other end of the phone, and nothing will happen. In the battle against progress, no matter how bad, backward, or even evil progress is, it will always win.

BTW, save the "they only moved it to the app" posts. I want to hear my station on the radio not on my phone. There is a difference, and a very big one at that.
I have wifi in my car. Wifi is coming to all cars soon so we won’t have to worry about only listening on the app

Actually, they moved Deep Tracks to Channel 308, which is available on radios, but only fairly recent ones. Like you, I am among the unfortunate millions with a car radio that only goes up to 235, meaning that my listening to Deep Tracks is now limited to the app.
Call SXM and tell them you're cancelling. Tell them specifically why. Everyone else who's been displaced by losing Deep Tracks or any other channel you listen to, do the same. If they start seeing a hit to revenues due to poor decision making, it will filter up to a decision maker that can reverse the decision.

I have wifi in my car. Wifi is coming to all cars soon so we won’t have to worry about only listening on the app
I don't think you understand WiFi technology. WiFi has a limited signal range (dozens of feet, not hundreds or thousands). It's not a cellular signal nor a broadcast signal. You need to be within a relatively short distance of a stable access point (i.e. router), or a hot spot that mimics an access point to overcome that signal limitation. In a car, the only stable source of such a signal is your cell phone. So even if you don't use an app, in effect your car radio is doing it behind the scenes, and it's still piggybacking on your cellular data plan. Six of one, half a dozen of the other. The only savings is not having to fiddle with your cell phone screen while you're driving.

It will be interesting to see what happens when Ken leaves the John and Ken show I don't think much will change I think the show will do just as well I know other people make the argument but when other people have left the successful show it hasn't done well yeah but that was Mark and Brian that was a music station same with Kevin and Bean that was a music station this is a talk station I think John will do just fine
Judging from past shows when Ken was absent and John did the show solo...It just was not the same. It's like Abbott without Costello. John and Ken together is what made the show successful. The chemistry, humour, working together over the decades, just can't be replaced. The best hope would be to have Debra Marks play a bigger role, maybe even becoming his co-host. I can't think of anyone else at KFI that would be a fit to play straight man when John gets riled up and needs to be reined in. But I guess we'll know soon enough if everything works out ..or not.

Yes. And in 20 years, all the cars currently on the road will have been retired. Using a strict average, 5% of all cars will be replaced each year. To start, WiFi will only be in a small percentage if auto makers adopt it at all. So it will likely take a decade just to get into 25% of all cars...

(Read Wiserguy's post and observe what this really means.)

Yes. And in 20 years, all the cars currently on the road will have been retired.

No, David. Not even close.

The average age of a passenger vehicle on the road in the USA today is 12.5 years.

There are 286 million passenger vehicles in service (registered and running) right now. The peak year---ever---for new vehicle sales in America was 2017. 17.5 million vehicles. We're projected to do 15.3 to 15.4 million vehicles in 2023, and that's an achievement---a climb back from pandemic-related lows in 2020, 2021 and 2022. But 2018 and 2019 were also lower than '17.

IF we could get back to the record of 17.5 million---it would take sixteen and a third of those years, back to back to back, to put 286 million new cars on the road. We've never had two of those years back to back.

And---most of the cars traded for the new cars are re-sold and continue in use---they're not junked.

So, no---realistically, you're looking at 30+ years with many holdouts.

Last edited:
All from the liberal point of view.

I never liked the "equal-time" rule, but if there were ever a place it should be required, it is public radio. I would love to see someone like Larry Elder take over the 3-6 pm slot on local KCRW in place of the boring "All Things Considered" and let a black man tell the audience what the real world is really like with non-government approved takes. Heads would explode all over town and the station would actually become somewhat relevant as it would trigger a real dialogue instead the constant monotony of inside the beltway bubble shibboleths that are otherwise the norm.
Please give us a break!

On this thread, folks keep mentioning the late talk blowhard, RL. As I have stated on another thread he was not a nice man. Similar to the previous "toddler in chief", regardless of his politics, he simply never grew up. Doesn't say much for his audience does it?

Rush was great very good at what he did reguardless of what you thought of his politics. I bet rush was a nice man to meet. Just like there are people on the left that are talk show hosts that are talented also like Stephanie miller Randy Rhodes etc...

Your points of view are very slanted.

Rush was great very good at what he did reguardless of what you thought of his politics. I bet rush was a nice man to meet. Just like there are people on the left that are talk show hosts that are talented also like Stephanie miller Randy Rhodes etc...

Your points of view are very slanted.
Of course they're slanted. Otherwise I would have no point of view...

I don't think you understand WiFi technology. WiFi has a limited signal range (dozens of feet, not hundreds or thousands). It's not a cellular signal nor a broadcast signal. You need to be within a relatively short distance of a stable access point (i.e. router), or a hot spot that mimics an access point to overcome that signal limitation. In a car, the only stable source of such a signal is your cell phone. So even if you don't use an app, in effect your car radio is doing it behind the scenes, and it's still piggybacking on your cellular data plan. Six of one, half a dozen of the other. The only savings is not having to fiddle with your cell phone screen while you're driving.
What does any of this have to do with me telling you I have a WiFi hotspot in my car that I purchased this year. It’s a 4G LTE hotspot. It works no matter where I am. It’s not feeding off my cell signal. It’s literally a hot spot in my car that I pay a monthly fee to access

What does any of this have to do with me telling you I have a WiFi hotspot in my car that I purchased this year. It’s a 4G LTE hotspot. It works no matter where I am. It’s not feeding off my cell signal. It’s literally a hot spot in my car that I pay a monthly fee to access
If your "hotspot" isn't feeding off cell towers then it must be satellite.

Hey, you know what. I’ll be man enough to admit where I was wrong. my apologies. You’re right, according to On Star

Attachments

• IMG_4106.jpeg
    IMG_4106.jpeg
    283.3 KB · Views: 4
Hey, you know what. I’ll be man enough to admit where I was wrong. my apologies. You’re right, according to On Star
No need to apologize, but thanks anyway.

There was a technology proposed some years back (called WiMax) that was supposed to remedy that signal limitation, but it never went anywhere in the marketplace. Which is why all those Xfinity (or insert your own local cable company's name) cable routers in millions of homes all broadcast a standardized WiFi signal, with a standardized SSID like "Cable WiFi", so as subscribers move around with their cellphones they can hop from router to router seamlessly without exposing their private, secure local area networks to risk. If WiFi had better signal distances, that expensive hack wouldn't be necessary. Ditto for cars or other moving vehicles. The WiFi hotspot just translates a limited kind of signal into wider-area one, one that's more robust as you move around beyond your house's signal range.

Back
Top Bottom