• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Local TV News Departures

Saga, Alpha, Entercom Extend CBS News Radio Deals

cbsnewsradio-1-150x120.jpg
With no comment from CBS News Radio, Skyview Networks or Hubbard Radio regarding the defection of top-rated all-News WTOP-FM in Washington, D.C. from CBS to ABC News Radio after more than 75 years of affiliation, Black Rock solidified its existing relationships with three key radio broadcasting companies.

More...

KCPQ-TV Seattle meteorologist Rebecca Stevenson has announced her departure. http://www.pugetsound.media/2018/01/03/rebecca-stevenson-leaves-kcpq/

KING-TV Seattle reporter Heather Graf moves to the same position at WJLA-TV Washington DC after five years in Seattle. https://www.facebook.com/HeatherGrafJournalist/

KIRO-TV Seattle meteorologist Kelly Franson has announced her departure. https://www.facebook.com/KellyFranson/posts/1514388862008138

Rebecca was working early, early, early hours, as well as, I believe, the Sunday morning news. Really terrible hours for someone of her experience. Not surprised she left ...

Kelly Franson was one of the weakest weather personalities to come through KIRO in years. For more than 15 years, KIRO has either promoted or not renewed their weekend weather talent. I'm assuming she's the latest to be "not renewed."

Scott Haveson (not renewed)
Patrick Hammer (not renewed)
Monty Webb (not renewed)
Sam Argier (promoted)
Rick Van Cise (not renewed)
Morgan Palmer (promoted)
Kelly Franson (not renewed)

A mid-30s guy named Joe Raineri who had a good run in the Portland market has been working as the third freelance (along with market vets Todd Johnson and Tiffany Sanders) weatherman at KIRO the last few months. He apparently left his position in Portland because of his wife's job in Seattle. Will they simply slip him into that weekend slot? Or will they hire from out of the market?

I maintain that Heather Graf was awful from day 1 ... I can't understand how she climbed up to bigger media market, but hey, I'm not the one evaluating talent. Of course, I never understood the attraction with Peter Alexander, either, and he's gone far.

After reading Kelly Franson's facebook blog post and clicking on the link embedded in the story regarding the weekend shift hours for the weather folks at KIRO, I can imagine why they might go through talent. Brutal. The other night at 11pm the new guy--Joe Raineri, had made a mistake on the graphics and commented on air about being tired and having a hard time with the long weekend schedule. I know that on KING and KOMO, they have different folks on in the morning and evening shifts. Is the KIRO setup the norm? It seems crazy.....

After reading Kelly Franson's facebook blog post and clicking on the link embedded in the story regarding the weekend shift hours for the weather folks at KIRO, I can imagine why they might go through talent. Brutal. The other night at 11pm the new guy--Joe Raineri, had made a mistake on the graphics and commented on air about being tired and having a hard time with the long weekend schedule. I know that on KING and KOMO, they have different folks on in the morning and evening shifts. Is the KIRO setup the norm? It seems crazy.....

They didn't used to have a Sunday morning newscast. So the weekend talent would work Saturday AM, Saturday night, and then Sunday night. Before the army of freelancers, if one of the weekday talent was off, the weekend talent would do mornings all week (which meant the morning met would slide to the chief's slot) and then Saturday AM and PM. Then whoever was working weekday evenings would cover Sunday night.

Now with a Sunday morning newscast, they need to do the short turn around. Theron Zahn worked that schedule at KOMO for about five years.

They didn't used to have a Sunday morning newscast. So the weekend talent would work Saturday AM, Saturday night, and then Sunday night. Before the army of freelancers, if one of the weekday talent was off, the weekend talent would do mornings all week (which meant the morning met would slide to the chief's slot) and then Saturday AM and PM. Then whoever was working weekday evenings would cover Sunday night.

Now with a Sunday morning newscast, they need to do the short turn around. Theron Zahn worked that schedule at KOMO for about five years.

I saw her post from about two years ago where she outlines the weekend schedule. Yes, its rough, especially that Saturday night to Sunday turnaround.

But ... I've said this before on this before on radiodiscussions... jobs come in all shapes and sizes. These days, I sit behind a desk and work a pretty basic 0800-1745 schedule. This is a change for me. My first decade after I graduated from college I worked in an industry (transportation) with crazy hours, all over the clock. I was always comforted when I headed into work at 2:30AM that there were other cars on the road, filled with nurses, construction workers, garbagemen, longshoremen, and others who also worked odd hours.

When I was working in transportation, our schedules shifted constantly. We didn't know day to do what we were going to do or when we were going to work, or how long the day would be.

The type of hours she was working at KIRO are not unique to her job, or her industry. It can be tough, but there can also be a lot of upside. She had a lot more time off than others working similar grueling shifts.

Ultimately, if KIRO feels these hours are a detriment to getting a long term person in place on weekends, they should do what a lot of stations have done. Find a good, talented, young reporter, that knows / has dabbled in weather at some small market station as they were climbing the ladder. Hire them to cover the Sunday morning weather shift, with general assignment reporting during the week. Then the weekend talent can cover all day Saturday, plus Sunday night, and weekday fill in, which ought to be enough for full time. Or they can just use a rotation of freelancers for Sunday morning ... there certainly are enough of them on the beach in this market to cover that shift.

Weather continues to be the most important part of a local newscast. Doesn't matter what kind of weather you have. LA is usually the same day after day (though not recently), but this subject tends to carry local newscasts. A strong weather anchor definitely is important in the big scheme of local news. Of course, you have a morning weather anchor, and an evening weather anchor. KIRO's changes hurts them without a doubt. Just look to KABC where Dallas Raines is a fixture in the afternoon/evenings, and before him Dr. George Fischbeck. If you want to win with local news today you need a strong weather anchor.

Weather continues to be the most important part of a local newscast. Doesn't matter what kind of weather you have. LA is usually the same day after day (though not recently), but this subject tends to carry local newscasts. A strong weather anchor definitely is important in the big scheme of local news. Of course, you have a morning weather anchor, and an evening weather anchor. KIRO's changes hurts them without a doubt. Just look to KABC where Dallas Raines is a fixture in the afternoon/evenings, and before him Dr. George Fischbeck. If you want to win with local news today you need a strong weather anchor.

I don't think anyone doubts that weather is very important. I mean KIRO itself had Harry Wappler for all those years. To me, it's a question of how much effort you want to put into the weekend morning newscasts. Many stations across the country find someone just to do weekend mornings (either a young person with less experience or a semi-retired veteran who just wants to work two days per week). Certainly, in a large market like Seattle, KIRO should not be continually burning out their talent.

I don't think anyone doubts that weather is very important. I mean KIRO itself had Harry Wappler for all those years. To me, it's a question of how much effort you want to put into the weekend morning newscasts. Many stations across the country find someone just to do weekend mornings (either a young person with less experience or a semi-retired veteran who just wants to work two days per week). Certainly, in a large market like Seattle, KIRO should not be continually burning out their talent.

Great point. Consistency is important to an extent. TV news watchers, (who unfortunately are aging out of the prime demos), like their familiar faces. For now, you need those familiar faces, worry about the next generation later.

Great point. Consistency is important to an extent. TV news watchers, (who unfortunately are aging out of the prime demos), like their familiar faces. For now, you need those familiar faces, worry about the next generation later.

Agreed! Consistency is key. In addition to Harry Wappler, I was just thinking about how many times KIRO brought back Mikki Flowers to do the noon weather over the years. She would "disappear" for a few years (i.e. spending more time with her family) and, then, Mikki would be back doing the noon weather.

If I were KIRO, I would hire another person to do the weekend morning weather -- either a part-timer or someone who could also be a reporter.

Agreed! Consistency is key. In addition to Harry Wappler, I was just thinking about how many times KIRO brought back Mikki Flowers to do the noon weather over the years. She would "disappear" for a few years (i.e. spending more time with her family) and, then, Mikki would be back doing the noon weather.

If I were KIRO, I would hire another person to do the weekend morning weather -- either a part-timer or someone who could also be a reporter.

My late Mother loved KOMO because she liked Steve Poole. Seriously, that is the only reason she watched. So this stuff is important, atleast when it comes to upper demos. OK, she also liked Dan Lewis and Kathi Goertzen, but the point here is many local news viewers like consistency. I don't see anyone in Seattle developing longtime anchor establishments, perhaps except for Steve Raible, but his co-anchor has changed too many times without much success.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom