• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Local Newscasts available over the internet

With a fairly decent antenna, it's possible, but it's tougher than getting Wilmington or Charleston. For some reason, all those swamps and low-lying areas aren't kind to TV signals if you have just a mediocre antenna. I know that WFXB (transmitter near Mullins SC) had issues along those lines.
Just to be clear, you mention how things were, but I am referring to after 2009.

Isn't some of the small town newscasts hubbed in another place at this point. That means that their anchors and studio staff would be in a different part of the country but the "Multimedia Journalists", producers, editors and News Director would be in the respective cities doing segments for the station. It's like voice tracking but for TV.
Depends on the owner. I know in Lafayette, IN WPBI (FOX/NBC) and WPBY (ABC) its hubbed in Little Rock (they also do the ones for Jonesboro KJNE CBS/FOX)

Here in market 199 (Mankato) its all done locally (Gray ownership) and did previously under United Communications (United's only stations were KEYC Manakto and WWNY CBS/FOX Watertown, NY)

I don't know what WHIZ does about its newscasts, whether it is local "home-brewed" content, or whether some or all of the newscast is done somewhere else. Given WHIZ's history and long-standing status in its community, I suspect it is all local.
Since the previous owner of WHIZ only owned WHIZ TV, WHIZ AM and WHIZ FM it was done locally.

Depends on the owner. I know in Lafayette, IN WPBI (FOX/NBC) and WPBY (ABC) its hubbed in Little Rock (they also do the ones for Jonesboro KJNE CBS/FOX)

Here in market 199 (Mankato) its all done locally (Gray ownership) and did previously under United Communications (United's only stations were KEYC Manakto and WWNY CBS/FOX Watertown, NY)
Would I be correct in assuming that Gray stations all do their own local news, that there is no market that gets hubbed news from someplace else, no matter how small? I have in mind that WAGM Presque Isle ME, WHSV Harrisonburg VA, and WTAP Parkersburg WV all do strictly local product. WAGM's news is very down-to-earth and has a "homey" feel to it (kind of like KXGN with much better resources and a rotation of anchors and reporters), such that you absolutely, positively know it is born and bred right there in Aroostook County. It very much reflects the gentle, rural area that it is, on the far edge of the US. I want to get up that way one of these days, been to Vermont but never New Hampshire or Maine.

(In case anyone was wondering, I use NewsOn and VuIT to watch newscasts from all over, so that's how I know about them --- it's basically a "because I can" thing, and I've always been a news and TV station geek, something that is by now no secret here on this forum.)

Would I be correct in assuming that Gray stations all do their own local news, that there is no market that gets hubbed news from someplace else, no matter how small?

WFLX West Palm Beach-Boca Raton-Fort Pierce and KNIN Caldwell-Boise-Nampa both came calling (produced by their Scripps sisters via agreements) and would like a word with you about that.

WFLX West Palm Beach-Boca Raton-Fort Pierce and KNIN Caldwell-Boise-Nampa both came calling (produced by their Scripps sisters via agreements) and would like a word with you about that.

I did not know that, I don't keep up with all Gray stations. I'm assuming neither of those stations are the major player in their markets. I had in mind more stations that are either the only local one in their markets, or are the "800-pound gorilla". I don't think viewers in places such as Presque Isle, Harrisonburg, Parkersburg, or Hazard would be very amenable to the idea of having their news being done in a city hundreds of miles away. Those are small towns where people are very much attached to the idea of "real" local news, anchored by people they might well run into at the grocery store, or with whom their children might go to school.

I did not know that, I don't keep up with all Gray stations. I'm assuming neither of those stations are the major player in their markets.

WFLX is since their newscasts are the only ones on in the WPB market, even including the 10pm news which became exclusive to them again after WPEC recently dropped theirs on WTVX so that WTVX could air TND: The National Desk instead.

WFLX is since their newscasts are the only ones on in the WPB market, even including the 10pm news which became exclusive to them again after WPEC recently dropped theirs on WTVX so that WTVX could air TND: The National Desk instead.

Not following you here, kind of confused. Are you talking about only 10 pm newscasts? TVTV.com lists 11 pm newscasts on WPTV, WPEC, and WPBF.

Not following you here, kind of confused. Are you talking about only 10 pm newscasts? TVTV.com lists 11 pm newscasts on WPTV, WPEC, and WPBF.

My point is that WFLX is a major player since they air newscasts in timeslots that are exclusive to them. None of them are on from 7-9am, 6:30-7 or 10-11pm like WFLX is (I get it, produced by WPTV, but still...).

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom