• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Little Jeannie?

I heard WCBS play Little Jeannie/Elton John yesterday. Which to me would open Pandora's box on all kinds ofAC oldies. Where do you draw the line? From there...one could play almost any of the Soft AC oldies from the eighties.

But it seems like a station would sound more like a gold based Soft AC station than the good times feel that the sixties music offers.

tk said:
I heard WCBS play Little Jeannie/Elton John yesterday. Which to me would open Pandora's box on all kinds ofAC oldies. Where do you draw the line? From there...one could play almost any of the Soft AC oldies from the eighties.

But it seems like a station would sound more like a gold based Soft AC station than the good times feel that the sixties music offers.

They've also played songs like REO Speedwagons' "Keep On Loving You" and Eric Carmen's "Make Me Lose Control." It's a "Classic Hits" format, 70's/80's based with a sprinkling of 60's. They've also been spicing up the playlist with the "Hall of Fame," featuring one song per hour specific to a daily artist/genre/subject.

They were playing Little Jeannie in 1995.

In fact *shock* alot of what they are playing NOW they WERE playing for years before the flip to Jack. Yes, it's obviously happening more frequently now, but these songs are not strangers to CBS-FM

I just listened to a Bill Brown aircheck from 1990 when he played REM's "The One I Love". OK?

tk said:

Soft AC oldies from the eighties were indeed Top 40 Hits in the 80's.

Eric Carmen's "Make Me Lose Control" is an 80's song - sung like a 70's pop tune; and the song is about crusin' music from the late 50's. A strange bird indeed.

tenacea73 said:
Eric Carmen's "Make Me Lose Control" is an 80's song - sung like a 70's pop tune; and the song is about crusin' music from the late 50's. A strange bird indeed.

I have to disagree that Eric sings this like a 70's pop tune. It doesn't even come close. And as far as what the song is about? I'd call it more like "Making out while the rock n roll is playing". But that's just my opinion. ;)

R

You don't think the song evokes the late 50's with that accapella Dion-like chorus at the end? All that vocal echo seems straight from his days with the Raspberries in the 70's.

tenacea73 said:
You don't think the song evokes the late 50's with that accapella Dion-like chorus at the end? All that vocal echo seems straight from his days with the Raspberries in the 70's.

The Raspberries were more classic rock, than pop. MMLC is Mainstream AC, and I'd put it closer to something like the Hot AC "I Just Died In Your Arms" from the Cutting Crew. When I think of "pop" music from the 70's, usually the artists that come to mind, don't test well today. (Osmonds, C&T, Tony Orlando, etc...)

R

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom