• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Listening to Mars...that's DX!

I find it amusing that he's using a 60cm "big" antenna/dish. Many, many years ago, rural viewers used 7-10 foot dishes to watch TV!
Albeit it's cool that a Mars orbit could be received here on Earth. Whenever a man gets to go to Mars, I wonder how long the delay will be?

22.54 minutes, round trip.
Check out the live data on this NASA site:
I get goosebumps looking at the dishes, as they move around throughout the day and night.

https://spaceweather.com/archive.php?view=1&day=17&month=02&year=2021

Ham radio operators are doing something that until recently only big Deep Space Networks could do.
Amateurs have tracked the mission ever since
(SDRs), which have become the norm for hams in the past decade
and they give hams the kind of exquisite control over frequency required to tune into distant spacecraft.
Amateurs began listening to deep space probes in the late 1990s
good target for hams hoping to bag their first Martian spacecraft.

Just to be clear (since the article implies otherwise), there's no requirement that one be an hammy op or have a callsign to monitor X-band signals any more than the C and Kn bands, or operate an SDR. This is something anybody with the knowledge, motivation and patience can do. Same with the other dude observing the Space-X telemetry feeds. The fact that these guys being reported on are hammies is entirely circumstantial.

I'm sure you guys all know this; I'm just posting it for the benefit of other people who might happen across this thread via a search engine, then read the article and get the wrong impression.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom