• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Life without AM (MW)---Italy

cyberdad

Staff member
As I alluded to in a previous post, I'm in Italy until the end of next week. I haven't have much time to DX, and I'm in a center city hotel, which isn't a very good location anyway. Commencing tomorrow (Saturday), we move to our final destination, which is a villa in a remote location about an hour south of Florence (where I am now).

Yesterday, we drove about 120 miles each way to have lunch with a friend at a location about midway between here and Rome. When I got around to hitting the scan button near the town where we were going. it didn't stop at anything. It just kept cycling. The day before in the hotel, all I get in the hotel room was one MW station on 657. I'm pretty sure it was one of the RAI network outlets. In the car on my return trip yesterday, that station eventually tripped the scan function at a distance of about 30 miles. But still nothing else.

Given that a station low on the dial is only getting out about 30 or so miles (if that's correct), I'm assuming it's either a low-power local service or ground conductivity around here is really lousy. Or both. Our cab driver was telling us that the land around here....low mountains....isn't good for growing many crops other than what they're famous for.....grapes and olives.

UPDATE: Just checked the world atlas of ground conductivity (you can google it). Sure enough, most of the landscape in this part of Italy is either a 1 or a 3.

Of course, MW at night is a different story. A much less crowded band. And indeed, in the hotel, in my brief scans, stuff has been getting through. I should have more to report on that after we get to the rural location.

FM also was a totally different story. Both in the car and in the hotel, the band is loaded. There may also be some tropo or e-skip going on. In the room this morning, I was listening to what sounded like a local on 93.3 that was getting trashed by something on 93.2 if I moved the radio. Or, perhaps it could be that if Italy shut down MW radio, one result was short-spaced FMs.

Last edited:
I recall reading somewhere that there are about as many pirate broadcasters in Italy as there are "legitimate" ones, and there is little or no enforcement by whatever the regulatory authority is over there. So no surprise that the FM band is chaotic as you describe.

I recall reading somewhere that there are about as many pirate broadcasters in Italy as there are "legitimate" ones, and there is little or no enforcement by whatever the regulatory authority is over there. So no surprise that the FM band is chaotic as you describe.

Same in Argentina, which is "Italy South".

I've heard in Italy that stations are not only on odds and even frequencies, they're also at .125,.150, and .175...so you could have a station at 92.2 and a few miles away, one at 92.215 Some have reported that the fm dial is an absolute mess and is unlistenable in many cities. AM has pretty much been abandoned in Italy.

I have to say I was pretty surprised to discover how absolutely loaded the FM band is here. Especially compared to the nearly empty AM band. Having numerous pirates is a plausible explanation for the congestion. But the thing that's still surprising is nearly everything I'm hearing has a similar format. Rock/pop music. Once we got away from the city on our drive Thursday, we had an "adult contemporary" station mixing English and Italian language music. Very listenable and we had the signal for most of our journey. I don't recall the name of the station, and the frequency display wasn't constant, but I believe it was 103.3. Obviously an "official" commercial station.

Cyberdad, your lack of AM reception in the daytime reminds me of here on the big island.

Only 2 stations from Hilo that are listenable without a lot of static.

The rest of the band is empty except for the few from Honolulu that are just barely audible.

I still can't get used to this.

Last edited:
Cyberdad, I did an online bandscan for Florence:
Your adult contemporary station was probably Radio Capital on 103.0 mHz. They are based in Rome, but the transmitter for 103.0 is in Greve in Chianti, about 30km from Florence. The format is classic hits + Italian language news-talk.
103.3 in Italy is all of those RAI IsoRadio stations, which are like our TIS stations in America. There are a few dozen transmitters at least all on the same frequency with traffic info throughout the country. Some run 10KW!

Cyberdad, your lack of AM reception in the daytime reminds me of here on the big island.

Only 2 stations from Hilo that are listenable without a lot of static.

The rest of the band is empty except for the few from Honolulu that are just barely audible.

I still can't get used to this.

At lease you have something on FM there

Cyberdad, I did an online bandscan for Florence:
Your adult contemporary station was probably Radio Capital on 103.0 mHz. They are based in Rome, but the transmitter for 103.0 is in Greve in Chianti, about 30km from Florence. The format is classic hits + Italian language news-talk.
103.3 in Italy is all of those RAI IsoRadio stations, which are like our TIS stations in America. There are a few dozen transmitters at least all on the same frequency with traffic info throughout the country. Some run 10KW!

Thanks Crain. Very much appreciated. Subsequent to my earlier post, I found out about 100.3 being an RAI channel. As for their transmitter in the town of Greve, that expiains why I'm getting an excellent signal here on 100.3. Greve is about 8 miles north of me (in the direction of Florence). We had a late lunch there Saturday, which was probably the best of the many fantastic meals we've had here. R. Capital rings a bell, that was probably the AC station I had on my drive last week. The display in the car I was driving didn't automatically include the frequency. Just the name of the station.

Moving right along....

Here is a complete daytime AM(MW) bandscan.... 541, 657, 1170, 1467. That's it. All of them in Italian. 657 is a fair signal, the others are weak...especially 1170. None of them trips the scan button. That goes for the car as well as the ATS-505. I'll write more about he nighttime dial later, but most of what's still left there appears to be from Spain and Arab speaking companies (in that order.) The only English I'm hearing is London Talk Sports on 1089 and Capital Gold on 1548. Talk sports is the better of the two signals.

But wait....there's more. Longwave! 162, 180 (apparently on an adjacent frequency), 216, and 252. All of them, apparently, in French. Signals are fair-good, with 216 the best.

I'm going to try to get over to the FM scan site during the next day or so to see if I can figure out what I'm hearing

But wait there's more....Longwave! 162, 180 (more likely an adjacent), 216, and 252. All in French. 216 was the best signal, but all were fair-good. I'm going to go over to FM bandscan during the next day or two to see if I can figure out what it is that I'm hearing.

Shortwave? Almost nothing. I heard one weak signal on 25 meters during my entire quick pass this morning.

Last edited:
Cyberdad, did you notice whether Capital Gold is playing mostly 80s music like all other former "oldies" now "classic hits" stations are doing? I assume they don't play much 60s anymore.

Cyberdad, did you notice whether Capital Gold is playing mostly 80s music like all other former "oldies" now "classic hits" stations are doing? I assume they don't play much 60s anymore.

I haven't had time to listen very much, but from my small sample size, it seems to now be 80's based. And considering that it's 97kw aimed right at me, the signal isn't particularly impressive. I'm also guessing that there's some sort of connection with the Capital FM that I've been hearing here in Italy. (There's also a Virgin Radio branded outlet that's also operating here. I assume on a national basis.)

I haven't had time to listen very much, but from my small sample size, it seems to now be 80's based. And considering that it's 97kw aimed right at me, the signal isn't particularly impressive. I'm also guessing that there's some sort of connection with the Capital FM that I've been hearing here in Italy. (There's also a Virgin Radio branded outlet that's also operating here. I assume on a national basis.)

Thanks

You didn't hear BBC Radio 5 Live on 693 khz? There's literally a dozen transmitters many with big power (dozens of kilowatts) - it can be heard across most of western and central Europe at night.
162 is France Inter, which is like an NPR station. Note: This may go off the air at the end of 2016.
The adjacent station near 180 is 183, Europe 1, with a transmitter in Germany, but the station is based in Paris.
216 is Radio Monte Carlo.
Not sure what you're hearing on 252...probably Algeria in Arabic. RTE also operates on 252 from Ireland in English. RTE plans to cease LW broadcasting in 2017.
Also surprised you didn't hear BBC Radio 4 on 198 khz. That one gets out well with World Service programming at night.

Sorry, I posted this before I saw your reply, crainbebo.

But wait there's more....Longwave! 162, 180 (more likely an adjacent), 216, and 252. All in French. 216 was the best signal, but all were fair-good.
162 is France Inter, located near Allouise, France and is the easiest catch for North Americans because it is below the NDB band and runs 2MW-D/1MW-N
180 is TRT (Turkish Radio & Television), near Polatli (1.2MW)
216 is Radio Monte Carlo, a French language station located near Roumoules, France (1.4MW-D/700KW-N)
252 is Alger Chaine, located near Tipaza, Morocco (French & Arabic) 1.5MW-D/750KW-N

The adjacency you mentioned is Europe-1, on 183 KHz, a French language station near Felsberg-Berus, Germany with 2MW of power.
Many of these stations are directional with as many as four radiating elements

The Wikipedia "Longwave" article is kept pretty current.

All longwave stations in Europe are living on borrowed time with many stations now inactive or closed.
Russia has closed almost all of theirs, France plans on ending its station at the end of this year, as does RTE, Ireland
BBC-4 will continue on 198 untill one of their last two final output tubes (valves) fails.
They had and might still have ten in stock but need two working ones, probably either a final output and a modulator or two in parallel.
A station in Ingoy serves the Norwegian fishing fleet,
but Mongolia could eventually become the last country to maintain their fleet of five stations, all of which are 2Khz above the standard channels.

Last edited:
Thanks, Crain and ai4i for the info.

First of all, 693 MW... I searched, but couldn't find it. Same goes for the other BBC blowtorch on 648. I think they've closed both of them. I know that one of them was already gone the last time I was in London five years ago, but I'm drawing a blank on which one it was. You're absolutely right about the massive signals throughout northwest Europe. But so far, as I previously posted, all I'm hearing here in Tuscany at night in English are Talk Sports on 1098, and Capital Gold on 1549. The two Dutch flamethrowers on 675 and 747 are long gone, but the Belgian on 621 is here at night with a good signal and alone on the channel. (And yes, to the best of my knowledge, Capital Gold is still streaming).

As for the LW stuff, I knew the 252 definitely wasn't the old Irish station. Neither the former commercial rock station nor the RTE version. And as for R. 4 on 198, I'll listen for it tonight, but I'm guessing that it's already gone. It's certainly not here in the daytime. I was pretty sure I was hearing French on all of these stations. But I'm not particularly good at picking up languages, so I'll try to listen more carefully. (Not to be confused with my daughter, who has a true gift for languages!)

Just checked Eschende and the BBC 693 is still there. When I hear it at night there's an echo from synchros. Do you get the Christian station from the Netherlands on 1008?

Just checked Eschende and the BBC 693 is still there. When I hear it at night there's an echo from synchros. Do you get the Christian station from the Netherlands on 1008?

I'm getting a fairly weak night signal on 1008. Isn't that where the oldies station from the Netherlands used to be? I'll see if I can make out if it's Christian programming. As for 693, I definitely haven't heard English there, but I'll try again. Since 1089 was weaker than I expected and since 1548 was MUCH weaker than I expected, it could be that the path from the UK from here hasn't been very good.

Now....the plot thickens for LW. This afternoon, I've been hearing a station on 171. Fair signal. It definitely hasn't been there (at least daytime) previously during my stay. Perhaps they had been operating on reduced power, were off, or experiencing some other issue.

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom