• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Let's sound off on the new Star of the southern tier. WMRV flips back to CHR.

kerr

Inactive
Inactive User
WMRV flips to CHR after CC kills alllllll traces of anything local, nothing on the website, twitter, or facebook pages. Music's fine but any old man with access to Mediabase can do that. Also change on-air people after they started importing from the CC tracking vault, well now it's just hipper more young from the CC vault.

I think CHR has gotten to the point where it doesn't have to be local. I listened to Z100 a lot this past summer in NY and they didn't do anything that really stood out. CBS-FM was the station to go to for personality. With CHR's chief rival being iphones, Youtube and Pandora, playing the hits and talking about pop culture is enough to win. But like I said on one of the other topics, I think that the station that can generate the most buzz with the 18-34 and teens can win the CHR war. Especially in smaller markets.

Love this move... the moment I read the blurb on my phone yesterday, I got giddy! The blood started pumping and I was like YES, YES, YES!! Best syndicated CHR morning in the nation with Elvis and if programmed right, will be huge... people will like Elvis!

If they haven't promoted the addition of NYC jock Elvis at BU, they may need to contact the Pipe Dream... get an add or article to start steering 20-somethings to Star. The vast majority of people from Hudson Valley, NYC, NJ, and LI know Elvis and the morning show!

I know it's a decade later, but I always thought if Star had fought back against Wild, it would have made for great radio, now we'll get to see... :)

Elvis is definitely going to win over the BU students, but Louie G is the hometown boy and that will go a long way with those that grew up in Binghamton. If both stations are playing the hits, the battle will be won via social media, Facebook and Twitter. The station that can better utilize social media and generate the most buzz will win. Today's CHR format has a very different battle strategy than what I took part in back in the 90s.

I don't know, it will be tough. For me, I would prefer the local broadcast but then again the station I listen to the most is Gem 98.7 which only has 1 local station.

For years people were flocking to Howard Stern. In most cases the most entertaining wins. But depending on the market, heritage can win as well. Older demos will lean towards habit while the younger audience will gravitate towards whomever is hippest.

BU students don't need diaries... they just need to create a buzz about it online and downtown... girls chatting about how they love how Danielle and Carolina get them, know the fashion, etc... how funny Greg T and Skeery are... or for some how hawt Garret is... that word of mouth from BU'ers who know 'em to locals less familiar would be a boost Star needs! Kinda like pop street cred!

Don't get me wrong, I love Louie and Tanya, they're GREAT peoples... but how does a phoner with some D-lister once a week put a finger on the pulse of today or ever with young people??? It doesn't, no matter how good and local those two are.

Justin, you have a good point. But I would also take a guess that Elvis Duran fans at BU would have Z100 or iHeart-radio programmed on their smartphones.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom