• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Lee Abrams : "We are living in an utter and profound music lull"

Link to Lee Abrams Blog

Lee Abrams, former proponent of Consultant Driven FM Rock Radio, now with XM Radio, speaks on the utter and profound musical lull we are now living in.

"Musical lulls are characterized by things like business controlling the artists, rather than the intense musical periods where the artists are the ones driving things.

Right now, we are stuck in an American Idol era where music labels and moguls are firmly in control, and their formulas are followed as closely as possible. "

Good question...Maybe it's because he's preaching to the choir. Besides, what has he done to change the environment? He used to be a guy who thought outside the box, nowadays he's in it with the rest of the corporate suits.

I got news for Mr. Abrams...there is alot of great rock n roll out there! I can find it, why can't he?

I do agree with his comments regarding the formulas that the labels work within...but hey, didn't Barry Gordy use a formula that entertained the masses for nearly a decade?

It's funny. Fickle-ness is so widespread that no one knows who to blame. That's because... (can you see it coming?)

We're ALL to blame.

Yup. Easy answer. Turns out we're all [EDIT]

Patience is a pretty hot commodity these days, anywhere you go. Certainly when you're talking about public companies with investors who HAVE to see SOMEthing, and music fans who operate on a by-single basis-- and toss out the other album "filler".

This translates to a need for quick turnaround for most stuff. I better get my direct deposit check by 4am, and the wannabe-signed artists better have a hit song in the can, because there is no time to let Mongo bong hit his way to a Sgt. Pepper stereo drum solo for 2 months.

• Don't wanna wait in the grocery line? Get behind the ass who can't figure out how to work the Uscan and get out "quicker"!
  • Can't stand commercials? TIVO!
  • Tired of sucking 4 Pepsi cans dry before you "feel it"... try Pepsi MAX! Better yet, here's this 5 hour energy blast-- about 2 shots big! Still not enough? Here, jam this crack rock in your eye socket, you foot!

Let's go surfing super-speed Wi-Fi internet while your camera phone iPod plays Waterworld & simultaneously films your reactions for you to later edit into a :20 music montage to post on YouTube and embed on your Myspace page tonight. "Tonight"-- you know, that time in between texts and bluetooth conversations about how wimpy your sound-surrounded, HD 42 inch plasma looks compared to the newer models that have the integrated Blue Ray player and a fleshy robotic arm that gives you a happy ending while you wait for your Lunesta to take hold and get you to that pesky sleep.

Nobody's ready to WAIT for "good" music. Certainly not me. Catch is, I may have to.

Send that to your consultant.

out

[EDIT-profanity]

wangchung said:
Good question...Maybe it's because he's preaching to the choir. Besides, what has he done to change the environment? He used to be a guy who thought outside the box, nowadays he's in it with the rest of the corporate suits.

I got news for Mr. Abrams...there is alot of great rock n roll out there! I can find it, why can't he?

I do agree with his comments regarding the formulas that the labels work within...but hey, didn't Barry Gordy use a formula that entertained the masses for nearly a decade?

I totally agree with you. There is a ton of stuff out there. MYSPACE is full of it. I am finding new rock artist and being approached my new artist's all the time. Not all of them are what I would call RADIO ROCK. But 70 percent are... So, why is it that HE'S not seeing these bands. I mean DAMN! He's on XM... they are the home of playing WHATEVER THEY WANT... COMMERCIAL FREE! So, what the hell.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom