• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Latest IRCA Mexican AM Station List

DavidEduardo

Moderator/Administrator
Staff member
The IRCA, a medium wave (AM) DX club has just issued its free Mexican AM station logbook. Get it at:

Scroll to the very bottom and there it is! Also there are older IRCA logs and many NRC AM logs up to 2021.

Interesting bit here...

The number of active Mexican AM stations has dropped below 300, probably for the first time in most of our lives. In the early 1990s, we listed about 950-960 AM stations in MÈxico, but this number was surely inflated, because in those days we had virtually no way of screening out long-defunct and never-built stations. Available data sources at the time could mostly be traced back to lists of stations (and allocations for future stations) first published in the 1950s. The future is promising, however, as there are currently about 75 construction permits for new AM.

Last edited:
Very cool. I always enjoy hearing Mexico on the AM band. Not as many stations as in the past, but still cool to hear. Thanks for posting the link!

Very cool. I always enjoy hearing Mexico on the AM band. Not as many stations as in the past, but still cool to hear. Thanks for posting the link!
Credit goes to the IRCA crew that put together this list and published it. I was a founding member of the IRCA and a member of its first Board of Directors in 1963, just about an exact 50 years ago.

Credit goes to the IRCA crew that put together this list and published it. I was a founding member of the IRCA and a member of its first Board of Directors in 1963, just about an exact 50 years ago.
I was a member in the early part of the 1980s. Then I buckled down at college, jobs, etc., and let my membership lapse.

RE: Mexican AMs: I'm surprised in seeing the statement on the PDF (page 4) that there may be just under 300 Mexican AM stations left, from a peak of over 900 a couple decades ago. That's a lot more in existence than I thought there would currently be.

I was a member in the early part of the 1980s. Then I buckled down at college, jobs, etc., and let my membership lapse.

RE: Mexican AMs: I'm surprised in seeing the statement on the PDF (page 4) that there may be just under 300 Mexican AM stations left, from a peak of over 900 a couple decades ago. That's a lot more in existence than I thought there would currently be.
As the log says, in many big cities, there was no place on FM to fit them, even after modifying the 2nd adjacent frequency separation to zero kilometers. And, on the border with the US, they have to respect traditional 2nd adjacent separations so few AMs could find an FM dial position to move to.

Most of the other AMs are indigenous services in highly rural areas where the 120 indigenous languages or dialects are spoken.

The IFT is pushing paper concessions, especially social stations, out the door. One wonders exactly how many of these will be built. The return rate on social AMs seems to be somewhat high (Frecuencias Sociales, I'm looking at you).

Back
Top Bottom