• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

latest IBOC interference from Seattle

I've got a couple errands to do up in Seattle and Everett next Wednesday, so I'll get to return to the 40 FM channels of IBOC! I'll probably leave the radio on 104.5 - even though their classic hits format is just getting worse and worse, or 96.5 as they have an OK adult hits format - getting a little repetitive however. Can't stand 106.9 and their "KISS-FM Lite", any of the CHR/Rhythmics, and now this new "Jet" on 95.7. I'll see how far I can get the new wasteful Air 1 on 95.3 as well. Maybe I'll hit KAFE when I do my Everett errand and see if they are starting to sound like "Kiss-FM Lite". There's only enough "Roar," "Rolling in the Deep" and "When I Was Your Man" I can take before I press the tune button.

-crainbebo

I've got a couple errands to do up in Seattle and Everett next Wednesday, so I'll get to return to the 40 FM channels of IBOC! I'll probably leave the radio on 104.5 - even though their classic hits format is just getting worse and worse, or 96.5 as they have an OK adult hits format - getting a little repetitive however. Can't stand 106.9 and their "KISS-FM Lite", any of the CHR/Rhythmics, and now this new "Jet" on 95.7. I'll see how far I can get the new wasteful Air 1 on 95.3 as well. Maybe I'll hit KAFE when I do my Everett errand and see if they are starting to sound like "Kiss-FM Lite". There's only enough "Roar," "Rolling in the Deep" and "When I Was Your Man" I can take before I press the tune button.

-crainbebo

A radio station like KKXA 1520 has a lot more "nutritional value" than most of the radio stations in the area; I try to listen to them as much as possible. I still go for KZOK, though. The songs that you brought up are really not THAT bad in comparison to the hip hop that you could find on KUBE. Maybe its just my taste, but I can't seem to comprehend how "Iggy Azeala" and company get so much airplay (and popularity on the Top40 billboard).

Last edited:
The listener must be angry over this.

Damn right AQH. Who gets talked into getting an HD radio for the choices and selection they offer anyway? HD-2 radio broadcasting is only worth anything if you can get a strategically placed analog FM translator for it somewhere!

SHEESH! What's wrong with you people!....

Speaking of KFNQ's IBOC, it was off last night, and it appears to be off today as well.

Must be having some issues with the HD -- the regular signal sounds normal.

I'm not sure where hd is going. I agree with whoever asked the question if 40% of cars have hd these days, then why aren't those stations showing up in the ratings? Also, if HD is doing as well as Ibiquity seems to claim, then why have they stopped making the tuners for the iPhone? Why have they stopped updating the app and it doesn't seem to work with the latest versions of iOS? Why are so many of the hd tuners including the one my friend has no longer made?

HD is fun to play with, but it comes with an absurd expense. I cannot knock major radio corporations for trying HD radio, but I don't know why locally owned radio stations would want to invest such a vast amount of money into something that isn't catching on.

KFNQ 1090's IBOC has been off the past several nights, and tuning into it this morning, it's still off.

As I type this, I can hear Portland's KFXX Sports on 1080, with just a bit of splash.

I wonder if they switched their HD back off? And if they did, why?

Driving down from Vancouver on Sunday, I also didn't hear the IBOC whistle on 1070 or 1110. Must be off, perhaps for good.
I also happened to stumble on the house of whoever must be the person behind Radio Punjab on 1550 (are they the same ones buying the time on 1110)? It was a very new-looking large house, with lots of security cameras, fences, and a large angry dog out back, and a big new SUV with a "Radio Punjab 1550" logo in the driveway. It's adjacent to Terra Nova Park in Richmond, BC, which is a very lovely place for a bike ride, by the way, with restored wetlands, historic farm houses and community gardens. But the house for the Radio Punjab guy looked like something you might expect in a gated community in Mexico, given all of the security in place and everyone hunkered inside. Not typical for any of his neighbors in what is probably a very safe and relaxed area to live. I believe he's hoping the CRTC will grant him a Canadian license for a new frequency, but his dealings over the border are raising questions and an inquiry from the Canadian government. Promises to get interesting.

Driving down from Vancouver on Sunday, I also didn't hear the IBOC whistle on 1070 or 1110. Must be off, perhaps for good.
I also happened to stumble on the house of whoever must be the person behind Radio Punjab on 1550 (are they the same ones buying the time on 1110)? It was a very new-looking large house, with lots of security cameras, fences, and a large angry dog out back, and a big new SUV with a "Radio Punjab 1550" logo in the driveway. It's adjacent to Terra Nova Park in Richmond, BC, which is a very lovely place for a bike ride, by the way, with restored wetlands, historic farm houses and community gardens. But the house for the Radio Punjab guy looked like something you might expect in a gated community in Mexico, given all of the security in place and everyone hunkered inside. Not typical for any of his neighbors in what is probably a very safe and relaxed area to live. I believe he's hoping the CRTC will grant him a Canadian license for a new frequency, but his dealings over the border are raising questions and an inquiry from the Canadian government. Promises to get interesting.

That's how things roll in Richmond and Surrey these days.

Last edited:
SEATTLE OBSERVATIONS 8/20/14

Mostly the same crappy stations with the same crappy songs over and over again. I mainly left my radio on 96.5 Jack FM, or KAFE. KXXO is STILL not at full power - almost September! Come on, go back to Rooster Rock or get to Capitol Peak - you've lost tens of thousands of potential listeners in Seattle/Bellevue/Kirkland/Lynnwood. CHKG started coming in on I-5 probably after Lake City Way!
Heard the good ol "95.7 the Jet" (barf) with a promo for $1000 each weekday with future morning personality Jodi Brothers. Heard at least 3 well-burnt-to-a-crisp-overplayed Madonna songs today. KMCQ's classic hits format has gotten very tight and I'm not really liking it. Only 1 or 2 60s an hour and nothing rare at all - just the same ol same ol. KRWM plays too much Katy Perry, Bruno Mars and Adele, and Seattle must love Nico & Vinz, because I heard "Am I Wrong" about 4 times today on various stations.
Also, due to KLSY moving to Capitol Peak, even in Everett, CJJR Vancouver, which used to be heard a LONG ways down I-5 has been reduced to loads of "bendice al señor, jesús" and very little country music from BC. Sad. I'd listen if it was a Soft AC, or an AAA, or a REAL gold oldies format - but not SS Christian. I betcha they have a 0.0 in the PPM.
The same goes with 88.9. I couldn't hear CBUX-FM1, ANYWHERE today. KMIH, and then the other "elogie al señor" station - K205FO in South Everett, but no jazz in French from Victoria. Goldilocks has said the same thing and I agree - unlistenable messes on 88.9 will not work!
KASB doesn't go off the air in the summer anymore - it's all automated CHR/Adult Top 40.
I noted KKCW and KINK a little bit near Lynnwood today. Must have been some weak tropo brewing.
Up on Snoqualmie Pass, most Seattles came in as well as KXLE, KPQ, KXDD, KFFM and maybe KHHK 99.7.
Listened to KWDR 93.5 Royal City as far as Easton today - at only 210 watts! It's now "Smooth Jazz 102.3" - marketing the Pasco translator which I couldn't hear, ANYWHERE. Either it was KPQ slop or KYYT near the Manastash Ridge. 93.5 also had KOZI at Indian John Hill and in Ellensburg mixing, and KACI on Manastash/Umtanum.
Finally I heard a 107.9 for miles between Cle Elum and Ellensburg that was this man reciting verses from the Bible. The only IDs was "This is Logos (sp?), with verses from the Bible, from the book of (insert section of the bible here)". It was also heard more faintly on 106.9. Thought it was Grandview's KAWZ translator at first. It also had these water and thunder sound effects once in a while that lasted a couple of minutes. Mono audio. Who the heck are these two? Did Ellensburg get an LPFM that sounds like 100,000 watts instead of 100 watts? Sure wasn't KMBI Spokane.

-crainbebo

-crainbebo

Also, due to KLSY moving to Capitol Peak, even in Everett, CJJR Vancouver, which used to be heard a LONG ways down I-5 has been reduced to loads of "bendice al señor, jesús" and very little country music from BC. Sad. I'd listen if it was a Soft AC, or an AAA, or a REAL gold oldies format - but not SS Christian. I betcha they have a 0.0 in the PPM.

-crainbebo

I wouldn't worry. Its going to cost a TON of cash to keep that station going, and a station of that sort isn't going to be able to pay the bills. Realistically, some form of commercial programming is needed to keep a major FM frequency operational. KING FM works because it is essentially commercial radio; I can listen without realizing that its non com.

Last edited:
I wouldn't worry. Its going to cost a TON of cash to keep that station going, and a station of that sort isn't going to be able to pay the bills. Realistically, some form of commercial programming is needed to keep a major FM frequency operational. KING FM works because it is essentially commercial radio; I can listen without realizing that its non com.

I wouldn't rule them out so quickly. Radio La Familia has been operating a network of 3 AM's in WA and OR for at least a couple years (KVAN in the Tri Cities, a station in Gresham OR, and another one, which I can't remember). They're not exactly broke if they can do that and have enough capital to buy an FM.

RE: KFNQ IBOC: It's been back on the past few days. It must have just been a glitch that occurred, causing their HD silent period.

SEATTLE OBSERVATIONS 8/20/14

The same goes with 88.9. I couldn't hear CBUX-FM1, ANYWHERE today. KMIH, and then the other "elogie al señor" station - K205FO in South Everett, but no jazz in French from Victoria. Goldilocks has said the same thing and I agree - unlistenable messes on 88.9 will not work! -crainbebo

We've had this conversation before. You really do need to get over having formats, which you don't agree with or generally listen to, ruin your whole day. Just because YOU don't like them doesn't mean there's no audience at all.

Also, KLSY is not on Capitol Peak, but on South Mountain, with KOMO-FM and KDDS.

Crista has two full-powered stations in the Seattle area... one each on AM and FM. I don't hear them creating the kind of criticism that CFC has with their Hispanic version of the same format.

Patience, Grasshopper... If the format you don't like doesn't generate enough economy to pay the power and tube bills, it will surely change.

Please refrain from speculating about something you clearly know nothing about.

As Boombox noted, CFC has a substantial network of transmitters... 10 in Washington, 3 in Oregon, 1 in Louisiana and 1 in Idaho. A new FM will be turning up soon in Sedro-Woolley. They also have a number of LPTV stations in progress.

Many churches choose a "ministry" of one form or another. Radio and television is the choice of this one. They know the required economy and, for now, are doing just fine.

Please refrain from speculating about something you clearly know nothing about.

As Boombox noted, CFC has a substantial network of transmitters... 10 in Washington, 3 in Oregon, 1 in Louisiana and 1 in Idaho. A new FM will be turning up soon in Sedro-Woolley. They also have a number of LPTV stations in progress.

Many churches choose a "ministry" of one form or another. Radio and television is the choice of this one. They know the required economy and, for now, are doing just fine.

Are you speaking of the new 105.7 signal which will have an ERP of 700 watts? I am not disagreeing; I can see why that would be a good station for this organization (not to mention, its affordable under the right circumstances). Compare that to a 93.7, which is considered a Seattle signal. I don't know what their financial situation looks like, but they've already spent millions on buying the 93.7 signal (and tower) alone, how much do they have left to keep this thing going?

This company has a good thing going with the LP services; making this jump seems like an ill fated decision.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom