• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Larry Himmel's home destroyed in fire

B

Bob_Hudson

At this moment - 10:46 AM Monday - I am listening to Larry Himmel's emotional live report on channel 8 describing the destruction of his home by the Witch Creek fire which started Sunday afternoon east of Ramona. For those of you unfamiliar with the area, that fire has traveled more than 25 miles (straight line distance) since it started.

Because of his media credentials, Larry was able to get access to his evacuated neighborhood and thus was able to witness his home's burning (as well as those of his neighbors).

Lee "Hacksaw" Hamilton also had to evacuate his home in Rancho Bernardino. He sopke on both KLAC and KFI by phone. He has no idea if his home is standing or not.

Very sad day all around :'(

does anyone know if dave rickards of kgb is ok?i know he was saying this mornining he has been evacuated.does anyone know??

I live in Mira Mesa and it was kind of iffy here which is across from Scripps Ranch. Ny heart goes out to all who had to leave and those who homes were destroyed.

Apparently Glenn Beck said something to the effect that southern Californians being burned out in this fire "hate America". Did he really say that? And if so, what point was he trying to make--what was the context? The 9-11 widows were called "harpies". Its just entertainment, folks. I never thought of North County people as "America haters".

Lopaka said:
Apparently Glenn Beck said something

He is an idiot, that Blenn Geck.

Radio Tie: Larry Himmel had a radio show on KiFM several years back.

Media Hack Chris | SDR said:
Radio Tie: Larry Himmel had a radio show on KiFM several years back.

He started in radio in 1969 at WSIV radio in Pekin, IL, DJ'ed in Chicago, spent six years as "The Cruiser" on KGB-FM, did a stint at B100 (KFMB-FM) and did the San Diego At Large TV show which featured the Skippy and Biff skits with Larry and Rick Rockwell (who gained infamy by appearing on "Who Wants to Marry a Multi-millionaire?" and marrying Darva Conger - it was later revealed Rick was not quite a millionaire).

I think Larry was still doing radio when KFMB TV hire him to do the "Larry Himmel at Large" reports in 1979.

Thanks Bob, the red glow to the east was NOT the sun rising. The Rice fire still burnin' Fallbrook.

Thanks Bob, the red glow to the east was NOT the sun rising. The Rice fire still burnin' Fallbrook.

I live just off 78 in Oceanside and until last night the Santa Ana winds kept all of the smoke south and north of us. Last night the winds changed and this morning my car is coated with ash and the apocalyptic cloud of doom is overhead. I think George Bush has to be responsible for this in some way.

Bob_Hudson said:
I think George Bush has to be responsible for this in some way.

Al Gore invented Santa Ana Winds.

I have been glued to the TV since Monday morning, flipping through 6,7,8,9 & 10.

Shawn Styles from 8 and Rod Luck from 9 get the award for gutiest on the line work (well they and their camera crews), but some of the young 8 and 10 cute babe reporters have been right in there too.

But with all of those stations, there's little diversity in reporting: they all show the same couple of spots and and provide zero coverage of places like Fallbrook (even though we've heard perhaps 500 homes burned there), Valley Center and even Ramona. Instead I have seen four stations at a time showing the exact same footage of helicopters dumping water near Sweetwater Reservoir one stations shared video from its helicopter).

KUSI - where old TV journalist go after 8 and 10 decide to find cheaper and/or younger, prettier talent - provides some of the most knowledgeable commentary simply because they have anchors and reporters who are experienced and do know the county. One Doug Curlee in the field is better than half a dozen young turks who don't know how to pronounce Jamacha.

Having worked many disasters back in the day as a radio reporter and/or anchor, I can testify that any such coverage is controlled chaos at best and I have to give big props to the behind the scenes newsroom people who sweat bullets to make the anchor's job look easy.

KUSI (Channel 51 for me over the air) has been the best station, as Bob writes.

KOGO pulls the big "thank you" for their coverage, at times, on all seven stations in San Diego.

One more day, and hopefully it'll be over.

Jamacha .... where is Ron Burgandey when you need him ...

KOGO pulls the big "thank you" for their coverage, at times, on all seven stations in San Diego.
Is it true that KOGO got knocked off the air for a short time during the fires? What time of the day was this?

From my location, I can only hear KOGO via skywave, so I'm not sure if yesterday morning (about 15-30 minutes after sunrise) it was a propagation issue or if KOGO's signal really wasn't there.

Clear Channel's studios on Granite Ridge had a power outage, not the various transmitter sites. This was Monday morning. There were a lot of calls to KyXy asking this -- as the stations were "on" the air, but had dead air. (Please, no pundits on that one)

For a while, KOGO-HD was on, even after the studio power returned, with dead air. (Meaning the AM analog was fine, the HD signal had dead air.)

Also, Dave Rickards was on 101KGB this morning and said his house was OK.

Gee, did anybody fight this fire except Congressman Brian Bilbray? Enough is enough. Nice job Brian but you are getting a little obvious.

Lopaka said:
Gee, did anybody fight this fire except Congressman Brian Bilbray? Enough is enough. Nice job Brian but you are getting a little obvious.

Oh stop. And if you're going to be so catty about your wonderous Democrats, buddy, where was Gray Davis four years ago other than picking his nose and waiting 3 days to react, huh? Take off your rose colored glasses and be a little more honest that the Democrats are NOT going to save the world despite all the spit you love to fly around trying to prove your point.

The military assets Congressman Bilbray got to assist in fire fighting are supposed to deploy Tomorrow, Thursday. The fire started Sunday. But better late than never. It is good that he did it, but don't you honestly think he was a little obvious and overboard in PR appearances congratulating himself for it?

Bob_Hudson said:
One Doug Curlee in the field is better than half a dozen young turks who don't know how to pronounce Jamacha.

Amen to that, brother.

- Doc

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom