• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

L.A. Radio.com to shut down

Is that the market size or the temperature? :)
He meant the 1920's. Actually working in nighttime Radio was magical, sort of special. Wanting to stay in your hometown all your life does limit your Broadcasting possibilities and not wanting to work nights limits you that much more. Just think who you could have been?

Think of all the DJs who left their home town to make it big in LA. I tell college kids they need to go where the work is. Don't wait for it to come to you. Must be present to win. Otherwise, they always need greeters at the hometown Wal Mart.

Hopeful of being able to work in radio in my home town, I talked to the manager at 870 KIEV (now KRLA) in Glendale. KIEV was then a dawn-to-dusk station. He told me, "We had an opening three months ago and we had 130 applicants, and most of them have been in the business for years." And then a family friend who was a Post Office supervisor said, "We can always use another mail carrier." That was the end of my radio aspirations.

Here's a column for you to write: How many actual Angelinos are there in LA radio? I bet the percentage is pretty low.

That may be a very short list. Offhand, I can think of only two Angelenos who are still on the air in Los Angeles: Chuey Martinez at KIIS and Mike Sakellarides at KTWV. Former KMET/KLOS DJ Jim Ladd was born in Lynwood and now hosts a four-nights-a-week program on Sirius-XM's Deep Tracks channel, which can be heard by Sirius-XM subscribers in Los Angeles. Does he count?.

Enlarge it to the last 20 years. I think what the guy at KIEV told you was true, and a lot of the applicants were from out of town.

That may be a very short list. Offhand, I can think of only two Angelenos who are still on the air in Los Angeles: Chuey Martinez at KIIS and Mike Sakellarides at KTWV. Former KMET/KLOS DJ Jim Ladd was born in Lynwood and now hosts a four-nights-a-week program on Sirius-XM's Deep Tracks channel, which can be heard by Sirius-XM subscribers in Los Angeles. Does he count?.

My recollection is that Jim Carson was born in Los Angeles as well. The vast majority of his career has been here.

While daily posting of LARadio news will no longer be, please feel free to reach out to say hello or update your Where Are They Now section.

[email protected]

HH

Don told me last month that he was shutting the site down and would transfer the archives to another server. He would retain ownership of the LARadio.com name so anyone who might launch a similar site would have to use a different name. Today I see that LARadio.com is still around, although the archives prior to July 2013 are gone. Don will continue to update the "Where Are They Now" section. He just couldn't make a 100% break.....and I'm not surprised. Radio is in his blood.

Having to meet his readers' expectations everyday was probably becoming a bit of a burden after all these years but I won't be surprised if he writes a piece every once in a while. I will miss his Funnies. I liked his sense of humor.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom