• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

kzon not going away

C

CHRRR

there appears to be marketing of the morning guy and super snake on every street corner. not the sign of demise i would expect after reading kkfr's diatribes

Banners on a roll taped to bus stops? You are delusional if you think this will save your station. The Peak has digital billboards all over town and it isn't helping them much.

What you/kzon have forgotten is that marketing bad radio still equals bad radio. "Hold on until PPM comes" as your mantra isn't much of a selling point to staff and advertisers. Oh sorry, I forgot you don't have much staff left and most of your advertisers come bonused in from KOOL and KMLE.

So very sad.

When do we get to discuss real radio stations around here? What is up with KUPD's slide? KNIX: dead or alive? Is Mix hurting KZZP... discuss.

Inside Radio Insider said:
When do we get to discuss real radio stations around here? What is up with KUPD's slide? KNIX: dead or alive? Is Mix hurting KZZP... discuss.

Why would Mix hurt KZZP? That problem went away a few years ago.

You've got two full market sticks jamming your currents down your throat, Bruce. Get off the boards and get back to running your station.

Well, Mix seems to be doing much better as of late and KZZP has been slipping. They sound more alike than I can remember, thought it was a valid question.

As for being Bruce, you are aiming a bit high both in floors and HAAT.

Inside Radio Insider,

I'd like to get your thought on this, because I think you're absolutely right about KZON and the negative effects it's likely had on KOOL and KMLE this year... as we're all aware of here.

I know people wish for KZON to be "blown up", and that will likely happen sometime down the road, sooner or later. My one worry is that it's only going to be replaced with yet another station that will likely effect KOOL and KMLE in the same way. What are the chances that the next 101.5, whatever it may be, can be a winner (revenue/ratings/talent lineup) like KOOL and KMLE? Or do you believe, like I'm starting to, that CBS Radio should downsize in this market and focus their resources on two stations that have the potential to be known leaders in the future?

Lauren

I think Bruce needs to pick a log-in! Is it Inside Radio Insider or Deewayne Weaver? I thought he was Deewayne Weaver. Whatever which way pick one and hunker down with it. Secondly, whoever mentioned that Bruce needs to get back to running his station much not know Power. Bruce spends his days bickering with us on boards like this and talking down on my kzon. The guy picked to actually run the Station is some buffed guy named Rob? Real friendly. I've run into him in the elevtor, he's always there. He's running the Show, Bruce is just the whipping boy.

How about Energy 101.5... Bring in Beau Duran and DJ Perry,,, Both friendly and well known talent in Phoenix and give them more money... Dance on a full signal in Phoenix is better than trying to compete with the Heritage KKFR and the new BEAT92.7-101.1-99.3 ETC..... At least The Beat is trying something different that has never been done before... Sure,, Id rather have Dance music any day over Urban, but at least its the forgotten Urban I grew up with before it got over commercialized and played the same top 20 over and over....

CHRwatcher said:
I think Bruce needs to pick a log-in! Is it Inside Radio Insider or Deewayne Weaver? I thought he was Deewayne Weaver. Whatever which way pick one and hunker down with it. Secondly, whoever mentioned that Bruce needs to get back to running his station much not know Power. Bruce spends his days bickering with us on boards like this and talking down on my kzon. The guy picked to actually run the Station is some buffed guy named Rob? Real friendly. I've run into him in the elevtor, he's always there. He's running the Show, Bruce is just the whipping boy.

Who am I supposed to be? No wonder sales at kzon is in the garbage, their sales staff spends their time trying to hunt down people on the internet. Tick, tick, tick... for whom the bell tolls. When you are done firing everyone, won't NY Danny finally figure out it's you whose the problem? And stop pretending you ride the elevator at the kzon building. You work downtown and there isn't anyone left on the 2nd floor, plus you all take the stairs to avoid coming face to face with the people running you out of the format. Oh, and the entire city of Phoenix talks down to your little kzon, I hardly think Bruce has the franchise on that. Just who is running kkfr? I thought you said it was Steve Smith. Now it's somebody named Rob. Whoever it is should get an award for killing a 100,000 watt stick with a rimshot from Flagstaff. Which is it? Either they are real good or you suck real bad.

Signed,
The one CHRwatcher calls Bruce

KOOL Listener Lauren said:
Inside Radio Insider,

I'd like to get your thought on this, because I think you're absolutely right about KZON and the negative effects it's likely had on KOOL and KMLE this year... as we're all aware of here.

I know people wish for KZON to be "blown up", and that will likely happen sometime down the road, sooner or later. My one worry is that it's only going to be replaced with yet another station that will likely effect KOOL and KMLE in the same way. What are the chances that the next 101.5, whatever it may be, can be a winner (revenue/ratings/talent lineup) like KOOL and KMLE? Or do you believe, like I'm starting to, that CBS Radio should downsize in this market and focus their resources on two stations that have the potential to be known leaders in the future?

Lauren
It seem highly unlikely that in this environment they could create a ratings winner from 101.5. Unless I am missing something obvious, there aren't many format holes left. While KZON in no way compliments KOOL/KMLE, the alternatives are expensive, and CBS is not in the "investing in stations" business. IMHO, a soft AC might do a respectable 25-54 Rating in PPM. Would anyone be willing to venture a guess that the old K-Lite would be top 5 25-54 in PPM? If you look at other markets, there is at least 1 AC doing well, many times 2.

We are rapidly approaching the 18 month anniversary of the KZON/Jams era, about the time they blew up Free FM. The issue is that New York looks at the total numbers and as long as they can shift money around from KOOL/KMLE to KZON, they can make it look viable. The sad part is that they have cut good KOOL/KMLE staff in order to justify hiring new people at KZON. Just like CBS can't sell stations in this climate, they may not be able to afford to change them, regardless of how much they under perform.

Really. What is the point of KZON. It plays a generic mix of tracks. Kiss FM and Power cover the pop and hip hop game fine, thank you very much.

There is not point it is simple cbs does not want to admit they made a mistake with kzon the patheic excuse for a station that it is what an embarrasment and all so they refuse to admit there mistake with wxrk in nyc what is up with these suits???

Billing sucks numbers suck but the suits refuse to do anything different wtf???

Even though I will admit the whole Free FM experiment was executed horribly in phoenix, they had a chance at the end of the Free FM phase to keep some components of free fm and bring back the history of KZON. I would have kept Big O and Dukes for mornings and Leykis (love him or hate him he brought in ratings) for afternoons with music the rest of the time. There is still a chance for The Zone to be reborn in 2009

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom